Bilstein 5100 DIY Install Questions

13 hours ago, lawnboy-5247 said:

Sounds like I have no need to waste time with clear coat then. Looks Like I should be good to go this weekend besides finding someone with a wall mount spring compressor because the rental ones are a little bit sketchy for me.   

I'm doing mine myself. Around here it $60-100 for a shop to swap the springs for me. Harbor freight has a tool that appears to be fairly safe. Figured if one is good two is better! Part # 63262.

I'm doing mine myself. Around here it $60-100 for a shop to swap the springs for me. Harbor freight has a tool that appears to be fairly safe. Figured if one is good two is better! Part # 63262.

Yeah your gonna need two sets. On top of that the clamps will not fit completely around the spring and you'll need an impact unless your fit like Popeye. Please be careful and position that spring perpendicular from your body.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sounds like I have no need to waste time with clear coat then. Looks Like I should be good to go this weekend besides finding someone with a wall mount spring compressor because the rental ones are a little bit sketchy for me.   

Took mine to a local shop and they charged me $40 to compress and install new shocks. This was after I got a strut compressor from the auto parts store. It was too small and would either have damaged the spring or killed me if I would have compressed it enough to remove the shock. Best $40 I’ve ever spent. These springs are super stiff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I ended up doing everything myself, I rented 2 sets of compressors and used 3 on the spring. The install took me longer than I was expecting and I was in over my head a little bit but I got everything figured out and the my truck rides much better now as both of my OEM rear shocks were bad with only 31000 miles.  I opted to put the fronts in the third notch, I could have done the fourth but I do use my truck to and don't want to be staring at the sky when I haul stuff. I consider the shocks to be money well spent specially since they have a lifetime warranty and ride so much better than stock.

Edited by lawnboy-5247

28 minutes ago, lawnboy-5247 said:

I ended up doing everything myself, I rented 2 sets of compressors and used 3 on the spring. The install took me longer than I was expecting and I was in over my head a little bit but I got everything figured out and the my truck rides much better now as both of my OEM rear shocks were bad with only 31000 miles.  I opted to put the fronts in the third notch, I could have done the fourth but I do use my truck to and don't want to be staring at the sky when I haul stuff. I consider the shocks to be money well spent specially since they have a lifetime warranty and ride so much better than stock.

Nice! Make sure you get an alignment!

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:18 AM, cperk said:

Took mine to a local shop and they charged me $40 to compress and install new shocks. This was after I got a strut compressor from the auto parts store. It was too small and would either have damaged the spring or killed me if I would have compressed it enough to remove the shock. Best $40 I’ve ever spent. These springs are super stiff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amen! It is worth the $40 to have someone else switch them over.

17 hours ago, lawnboy-5247 said:

Your statement above is why I started the poll about loving or hating your Factory Rancho's :thumbs:

These coils are no joke. My strut compressors barely fit the springs and really taxed them as well as bent the bolts, not worth the risk. So just took them to my local pepboys, $40 and I'm still alive lol. 

• 3 months later...