Rear window leak

Demon

Found something that works to seal up the top gap of the spoiler. I just got done installing it. Just need something thin and plastic to work it into the gap. Can’t guarantee it will fix the leak, but for $15 is worth a shot. Will report back.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NL4D2T8?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

778C137F-82FA-4875-A988-B61C755030CD.jpeg

• Like 3

It kind of looks like standard backer rod prior to caulking material.  I appreciate your effort and I also feel for all those affected by this unacceptable situation.  I was looking at a 21 in July of 21, but am monitoring this thread carefully before I make that decision.

Thanks for your efforts.

5 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

Found some new evidence of water trails that weren’t there when I detailed the interior last month. I’ll monitor it, but if the headliner doesn’t get wet, I’m probably not gonna take it back. Don’t want to drive a crummy Malibu for a week while they make a mess again. A sad game of risk vs reward we play. Original caulk job held for around 14 months, FWIW.

E5FD43F2-94A4-48DE-B79F-2A70C49592D1.thumb.jpeg.3cd41837838b2b5145f4fbd0138d3178.jpeg

Ahh bummer, sorry ?  At least they gave me an Equinox to drive.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

Found some new evidence of water trails that weren’t there when I detailed the interior last month. I’ll monitor it, but if the headliner doesn’t get wet, I’m probably not gonna take it back. Don’t want to drive a crummy Malibu for a week while they make a mess again. A sad game of risk vs reward we play. Original caulk job held for around 14 months, FWIW.

E5FD43F2-94A4-48DE-B79F-2A70C49592D1.thumb.jpeg.3cd41837838b2b5145f4fbd0138d3178.jpeg

And looks like you have the original E2 window. But even the newer E4s leak. Sucks dude.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jrodpic said:

Found something that works to seal up the top gap of the spoiler. I just got done installing it. Just need something thin and plastic to work it into the gap. Can’t guarantee it will fix the leak, but for $15 is worth a shot. Will report back.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NL4D2T8?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

778C137F-82FA-4875-A988-B61C755030CD.jpeg

oh I'm liking that! Can you share pics of the ends where you terminate the cord to see where and how that looks ?

I'm definitely interested in this workaround. 

Washed my truck last night and observed water leaking slightly more than when I previously discovered it.  This time I found several drops running down the inside of the window (driver's side rear window, and yes it is a slider).  I hoped this would not get worse but it clearly is, and it's only four months old with less than 3,000 miles....and we haven't even entered the rainy season yet! 

I am really upset with GM about this, they seriously need to to come up with a fix for this that doesn't entail a shoddy seal job from the outside of the window...the world is watching and this is your top selling vehicle!!  

Frankly, I'm still not convinced that it is coming from the window seal, thinking it could possibly be the roof spoiler???  

GM, get your sh## together and get this resolved, it seems the only people that haven't had an issue with it are the ones who aren't looking for it!  

Edited by Spyderwebb

4 hours ago, Spyderwebb said:

Washed my truck last night and observed water leaking slightly more than when I previously discovered it.  This time I found several drops running down the inside of the window (driver's side rear window, and yes it is a slider).  I hoped this would not get worse but it clearly is, and it's only four months old with less than 3,000 miles....and we haven't even entered the rainy season yet! 

I am really upset with GM about this, they seriously need to to come up with a fix for this that doesn't entail a shoddy seal job from the outside of the window...the world is watching and this is your top selling vehicle!!  

Frankly, I'm still not convinced that it is coming from the window seal, thinking it could possibly be the roof spoiler???  

GM, get your sh## together and get this resolved, it seems the only people that haven't had an issue with it are the ones who aren't looking for it!  

X2

Saturday marks the two year anniversary of this thread. ?

I can’t think of any other major, widespread problem that has spanned two model years (and counting). This is even beating the K2’s shaking issues.

Anyone with a 21 care to share the numbers off your window? Wonder if they changed the part again to compensate for the more serious underlying design or structural problem. 

1 hour ago, OnTheReel said:

Saturday marks the two year anniversary of this thread. ?

I can’t think of any other major, widespread problem that has spanned two model years (and counting). This is even beating the K2’s shaking issues.

Anyone with a 21 care to share the numbers off your window? Wonder if they changed the part again to compensate for the more serious underlying design or structural problem. 

I don’t have a 2021, but my 2020 was built in mid September. Looks like it’s an E9. Found a leak after washing it for the first time.

380F303D-ABD6-47BF-A48B-E3EEABC683E9.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Jrodpic said:

I don’t have a 2021, but my 2020 was built in mid September. Looks like it’s an E9. Found a leak after washing it for the first time.

380F303D-ABD6-47BF-A48B-E3EEABC683E9.jpeg

Yeah, that’s a late 2020 for sure. Not a stretch imagine some 2021s using the same part and leaking in the near future.