Rear window leak

Demon

2 minutes ago, Leevon said:

169 pages is a lot of reading...I see a lot of theories and guesses about the source of the leak.  If you're confused by your dealership your service department isn't communicating well or they don't know or don't care.  It's simply a poor design of the window frame.  There is a long, thin, flat and hard piece of plastic which is the "setting channel" for the window to body adhesive.  It's too long and is not designed properly for thermal  expansion and it cracks in the weakest spots on the top corners.   It hasn't been fixed.  Case closed.  

IMG_2844 (1).jpg

IMG_2847 (1).jpg

IMG_2842.jpg

IMG_2843 (1).jpg

Good eyes! Would you mind sharing what salon you go to? Your toes look great btw. ?

4 minutes ago, Z71RAD88 said:

Good eyes! Would you mind sharing what salon you go to? Your toes look great btw. ?

I go to your Mom's salon, the one with the free happy endings.  I'm glad you like my toes, you should see the other one without a big toenail!   That is one ugly foot though, I'll give you that.  

Edited by Leevon
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Leevon said:

169 pages is a lot of reading...I see a lot of theories and guesses about the source of the leak.  If you're confused by your dealership your service department isn't communicating well or they don't know or don't care.  It's simply a poor design of the window frame, you did nothing wrong by driving normally and you can't prevent it by avoiding hot or cold weather or opening your window.  There is a long, thin, flat and hard piece of plastic which is the "setting channel" for the window to body adhesive.  It's too long and is not designed properly for thermal  expansion and it cracks in the weakest spots on the top corners.   It hasn't been fixed.  Case closed.   Can we sticky my photos or my detailed posts about removing the sliding window and installing solid rear glass? 

IMG_2844 (1).jpg

IMG_2847 (1).jpg

IMG_2842.jpg

IMG_2843 (1).jpg

Great info, thanks for the pics!

2 hours ago, Leevon said:

169 pages is a lot of reading...I see a lot of theories and guesses about the source of the leak.  If you're confused by your dealership your service department isn't communicating well or they don't know or don't care.  It's simply a poor design of the window frame, you did nothing wrong by driving normally and you can't prevent it by avoiding hot or cold weather or opening your window.  There is a long, thin, flat and hard piece of plastic which is the "setting channel" for the window to body adhesive.  It's too long and is not designed properly for thermal  expansion and it cracks in the weakest spots on the top corners.   It hasn't been fixed.  Case closed.   Can we sticky my photos or my detailed posts about removing the sliding window and installing solid rear glass? 

IMG_2844 (1).jpg

IMG_2847 (1).jpg

IMG_2842.jpg

IMG_2843 (1).jpg

This is why I didn't rush to get my rear window replaced.  Unless they start using a different plastic for the frame, one that won't crack, a new rear window with a slider will leak again.

I think a good sealant job can fix the problem.  When I removed the spoiler, I saw spots on the top of the frame missing sealant. I added Kent sealant to those areas.

Regardless, the responsible thing is for GM to get the supplier to use a better plastic and do a recall.

• Like 1

The leaks in my 2019 rear slider were definitely from a cracked window frame.  I removed the spoiler and could see 3 cracks across the top immediately.  Then I carefully flowed a small amount of water over each window frame crack and bingo...water was leaking into the interior exactly where it had been during the rain. Kent P10200 sealer was applied per TSB 18-NA-383.  Lasted 6 months and now is leaking all over again on drivers side.

Inquired with Chevrolet dealer parts today about new glass and was told that GM part number 84569182 had recently been superseded to part number 84944319.  It was so new they couldn't find it in the dealer parts database, they had to look it up in the GM database.  Anybody know if the new rear slider glass part number includes any design or material changes to eliminate the frame cracking???  Dealer had no idea...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Fizzery6 said:

The leaks in my 2019 rear slider were definitely from a cracked window frame.  I removed the spoiler and could see 3 cracks across the top immediately.  Then I carefully flowed a small amount of water over each window frame crack and bingo...water was leaking into the interior exactly where it had been during the rain. Kent P10200 sealer was applied per TSB 18-NA-383.  Lasted 6 months and now is leaking all over again on drivers side.

Inquired with Chevrolet dealer parts today about new glass and was told that GM part number 84569182 had recently been superseded to part number 84944319.  It was so new they couldn't find it in the dealer parts database, they had to look it up in the GM database.  Anybody know if the new rear slider glass part number includes any design or material changes to eliminate the frame cracking???  Dealer had no idea...

So the sealant didn't hold up past 6 months for you?  Was there any obvious signs that the sealant itself cracked or shrank?  Did it leak at the same cracks or new ones formed?

• Sad 1

Yep, sealant only lasted 6 months. And it was cleaned, dried, primed and sealed. I haven’t had the spoiler back off to check for new cracks or sealant shrink yet. Was hoping that GM would get to the bottom of the frame problem and that the new rear slider window part number actually included improvements so a window replacement would fix the leaks once and for all. 

Glad we were able to roll in over to 170 pages.  The cracks in the window frame pictures were quite an eye opener, but do cause me concern.  I picked up the truck tonight.  They sealed the window as well with strip caulk.  We will see if it makes it passed 6 months.  The tech promised me it wasn't leaking.  I talked to the tech and service manager, as there were some minor scratches and scrapes on the interior moldings (thanks for warning me about this).  I did not see any paint damage, but need to clean it up a little better.  They offered to order the trim pieces and replace them.  I had also asked them about turning the afterblower feature on when I dropped it off.  OF course, this never made it to the service ticket.  The service manager had the tech go get the computer and turn it on for me while I waited.  I guess the next time I wash it, I will find out.  Thank you all for the help and the humor!

The cracks make sense. However it is still a major design flaw that there is no weather stripping or anything along the top gap of the spoiler. That gap basically funnels water directly to those cracks. I’m still thinking if the top gap is sealed the leaks would basically be non existent even with the cracks. Of course they would still leak when you blast water in there during a wash but being parked out in the rain or elements wouldn’t be an issue. Just my theory and I could be completely wrong. I have weather stripped that gap and am waiting for the next rain to test my theory. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Jrodpic said:

The cracks make sense. However it is still a major design flaw that there is no weather stripping or anything along the top gap of the spoiler. That gap basically funnels water directly to those cracks. I’m still thinking if the top gap is sealed the leaks would basically be non existent even with the cracks. Of course they would still leak when you blast water in there during a wash but being parked out in the rain or elements wouldn’t be an issue. Just my theory and I could be completely wrong. I have weather stripped that gap and am waiting for the next rain to test my theory. 

Which gap did you weather strip? I was thinking of doing the one between the window and the stupid “wing”.... 

16 minutes ago, Jrodpic said:

There is some sort of spongy strip along that gap.  It is adhere underneath the spoiler itself and sits in front of the body seam when the spoiler is on.  

When I water tested my leak, I notice water would flow over the top of the spoiler and then drip along the slant that slants back towards the rear window.  They end up on top of the rear window itself.  Weather stripping the gap would definitely stop a lot of the water, but it won't stop those drips sliding along the slant especially in a long rain.  Just my observation.  

Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 12.33.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 12.32.56 PM.png

1 hour ago, SilveradoRST said:

There is some sort of spongy strip along that gap.  It is adhere underneath the spoiler itself and sits in front of the body seam when the spoiler is on.  

When I water tested my leak, I notice water would flow over the top of the spoiler and then drip along the slant that slants back towards the rear window.  They end up on top of the rear window itself.  Weather stripping the gap would definitely stop a lot of the water, but it won't stop those drips sliding along the slant especially in a long rain.  Just my observation.  

Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 12.33.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 12.32.56 PM.png

Hard to tell from the picture but that strip doesn’t look waterproof. I could see water getting in from the slant as well. My next move was to try and get some stripping in on top of the window.