I having issues using usb drives. 

I purchased the first shipment to the dealers. Had issues with the display between the gauges, locking up and turned blank.  

After the software updates my usb drive does not work anymore. I was using a 32 gig original after the first update to then the display stopped blanking out but the usb stopped reading in either port.  The dealers showed me a tech bulitin that stated not all usb will not work, but could not tell me what would.  I went down to a 1 gig and it worked until the last update now nothing’s  works.

Any ideas

On 2/3/2019 at 6:40 AM, Bill MacDonald said:

Dealer was no help, they referred me to a GM tech updated about not all usb will work. They also told me the updates can’t be rolled back.

On "Audio" screen, click on "more" (on the lower left corner of the screen), and select the USB again. Don't try to leave it with the car to pick it up automatically. This should fix the issue. 

Edited by AMPRG
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 2/4/2019 at 4:15 PM, AMPRG said:

On "Audio" screen, click on "more" (on the lower left corner of the screen), and select the USB again. Don't try to leave it with the car to pick it up automatically. This should fix the issue. 

I had the same problem and did as you said , bravo and thank you 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
13 hours ago, SoloYoloFive said:

My usb flash dive will not work in my 2021 Chevy Silverado...any ideas on how to fix it?

I wanted my 128 gb drive to be formatted FAT32. Had to install software for Win10. Loaded gigs of music, installed and didn't work. radio would not recognized it. Reformatted to exFAT, installed 1 album, did not work. Reformatted again with NTFS and it worked. 2021 GMC 1500

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 12/17/2020 at 9:44 PM, SoloYoloFive said:

My usb flash dive will not work in my 2021 Chevy Silverado...any ideas on how to fix it?

Same here on my 2021 Sierra, worked fine in my 2015 and still works in my HD & wife's car.

• 9 months later...
On 12/18/2020 at 11:28 AM, gemarsh said:

I wanted my 128 gb drive to be formatted FAT32. Had to install software for Win10. Loaded gigs of music, installed and didn't work. radio would not recognized it. Reformatted to exFAT, installed 1 album, did not work. Reformatted again with NTFS and it worked. 2021 GMC 1500

This worked for my 2019 Silverado with 7"screen, and my 128GB thumb drive. Thank you for this solution!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

We have a 2014 Silverado and a 2021 GMC. We have played a 32gb SanDisk with 3,000+ songs for years in the Chevy.  We have a 16gb SanDisk in the GMC with 3000+ songs also.  Wanting to use the 32gb SanDisk from the Chevy, in the GMC, we found that the GMC would not read it.  Reading blogs, it seemed that maybe the GMC might only read a 16gb USB, so I opened a new 16gb SanDisk - that looked just like the 32gb - and loaded about 20 songs.  Both SanDisk USBs - the new one and the one from the Chevy were entirely black plastic and shaped the same, with the gb size appearing to be the only difference.  I tried the USB drive (the 16gb SanDisk that has worked in the GMC for over a year) in the Chevy and it worked fine.  By the way, all three are formatted FAT32. In the meantime I bought a 16gb SanDisk that looked exactly like the 16gb in the GMC.  The only difference I can see in the SanDisk from the Chevy and the one we use in the GMC is - the part that inserts into the drive is METAL!  The new metal one works just fine.  Hope this helps someone.  Thanks everyone for your info on this site.spacer.pngspacer.png

• 1 year later...

I have a 2019 Silverado RST and I tried to use the USB today but I'm not getting the USB icon on the screen. I know they are getting power because the drives light up or when I plug my phone in it works but I'm not getting the icon. I hit more but still no USB icon