5 minutes ago, SierraHD17 said:

I have the same ratio 6 speed trans or I wouldn't reply.  Engine is irrelevant.  

I don't pay attention to what speed it shifts out of first at.. don't care lol.  The truck drives great.  70 mph with tires an inch and a half smaller than an actual 35 is 2100 rpm.  I don't drive 80 mph anywhere... speed limit is never that high.

I was thinking that the 6.2 with 420hp vs our 360hp might have a little more umph to get things rolling, maybe it doesn't matter that much.  75mph at 2200rpm sounds good  how about MPG at 70? And do you have AFM turned on or off?

1 hour ago, geswek said:

I have 4.10s and 5.3/6.

I run around 1800-2k at 75-80.

Last time I took it to Orlando doing 75 average I was getting 18mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This sounds great!! How's 1st gear....happen to know what mph your shifting out of 1st gear at ?  

1 hour ago, Carversonline said:

I was thinking that the 6.2 with 420hp vs our 360hp might have a little more umph to get things rolling, maybe it doesn't matter that much.  75mph at 2200rpm sounds good  how about MPG at 70? And do you have AFM turned on or off?

The 6.2 will have a lot more get up and go but with a big lift and big tires even it will feel neutered over stock.  Gears will make a night & day difference in your truck

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carversonline said:

Truck doesn't have afm in my case.  Your rpm will be less than mine because your tires are bigger than mine.  You want more gear to offset less power, not less gear so deeper is more beneficial to you.  

My mpgs are irrelevant as well.  I don't have a 5.3 half ton so whatever you get will be better.  But remember this... how good do you think it is with 3.42s lugging a lifted truck with big heavy tires? Your mileage will be better than you are getting now regardless.

• Like 1

3.42 gears with 35x12.50x18 on 6” was 12mpg

4.10 gears with 35x12.50x18 on 6” is 15mpg

Those are my stats right now with 5.3/6spd in mixed. 

Im tuned with 93 octane.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, geswek said:

3.42 gears with 35x12.50x18 on 6” was 12mpg

4.10 gears with 35x12.50x18 on 6” is 15mpg

Those are my stats right now with 5.3/6spd in mixed. 

Im tuned with 93 octane.

With the 3.42 gears did your truck use 6th gear? Mine will lug down and it down shifts constantly at 75mph. I just drop it down into M 5th.

Is your speedo calibrated for tires?

With the 3.42 gears did your truck use 6th gear? Mine will lug down and it down shifts constantly at 75mph. I just drop it down into M 5th.

Yes sir; I’ve had my truck tuned from day 1 so when I put lift in, I updated my tune for the tires which fixed the shift points. I never drove truck on stock tune but can see where it would lug in 6.

It lugged with my tune anyways, which prompted the $1800 bill to change gears.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Carversonline said:

You’re running in 5th gear doing 75 and you’re worried about how high your rpms are gonna be after a gear swap. 

Youre needing way to much convincing to do this mod

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Jacoby said:

You’re running in 5th gear doing 75 and you’re worried about how high your rpms are gonna be after a gear swap. 

Youre needing way to much convincing to do this mod

Hahaha... I'm not really worried about my rpm and I don't need to be convinced about changing my gears.

I asked if a calibration was necessary.

And now it has turned into which gear ratio to go with. So now I'm simply asking questions to help make my decision. 

Now I wish I could start a poll ?

Edited by Carversonline
Edit

Just now, Carversonline said:

Hahaha... I'm not really worried about my rpm and I don't need to be convinced about changing my gears.

I asked if a calibration was necessary.

And now it has turned into which gear ratio to go with. So now I'm simply asking questions to help make my decision. 

I feel your pain! I did same thing but guy who did my gears owns a shop and has been doing this his whole life. He told me it wasn’t worth going any higher than 4.10s because I don’t tow anything. I went with him on it and called it day. 

You definitely want to ask!

• Confused 1

Answer is with gears I would say if you want it to be right you need a tune. If you like Mickey Mouse set ups for your vehicle - leave it. Not just the speedo is thrown off. Not at all that simple, in the old days yes, now - no way. The newer truck have very sophisticated computers( look at direct injection or cam phasing tables in the programs) and sensors, not even like old OBD1 set ups or even LS style set ups that you could live with or trick somehow to work and not destroy things. Hell your transmission has it's own stand alone computer that is calibrated with strict parameters.. People that don't do it right - no comment. They wonder why they have problems or have not driven something that works correctly to know the difference and say "ah it'll be OK"-no.

It really isn't that hard, a little research and open your wallet.

Unfortunately to have cool stuff there is a risk.   You lift, tune and gear there goes your warranty in many cases. You already are guilty of the 1st one, go all the way and have your stuff work right, you will like it more I promise.

Edited by kennerz
spelling
  • Like 3

To answer your original question, yes you should calibrate for larger wheels and tires and gear change. I have a hyper tech programmer that will do this for you that I don’t use anymore. It will only program gear ratio and tire size. I have no idea if it is locked to my VIN. I would sell it for cheap if your interested. Your gonna have to do the homework to see if it will work on your truck. It is part number PC32010-1. 263342434e3bff507781b101539820c6.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mikedeezxxx said:

To answer your original question, yes you should calibrate for larger wheels and tires and gear change. I have a hyper tech programmer that will do this for you that I don’t use anymore. It will only program gear ratio and tire size. I have no idea if it is locked to my VIN. I would sell it for cheap if your interested. Your gonna have to do the homework to see if it will work on your truck. It is part number PC32010-1. 263342434e3bff507781b101539820c6.jpg

Looks like that might be for 11-13. Another website says 11-14 

Screenshot_20190316-085637.png