How to replace the side mirror caps on your 2019 Silverado

Sorry for the poor video but figured I would post it.  You can't just take the caps off the side mirrors like the K2's. You have to take the mirror out and the bezel around the mirror to access the clips that hold the cap on.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Controller23 said:

Why did you take them apart?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny you should mention that.  I Kind of hit the garage door opening backing in and it popped the cap off.  No other damage.  But to get the cap back on you have to take it apart.  No popping it back into place.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the video.  Question, how do you push up on those first 4 tabs?  Looks to me like you showed pushing them from the top.  It clearly appears they need to be lifted.  Thank you!

25 minutes ago, teyaroch said:

Thanks for the video.  Question, how do you push up on those first 4 tabs?  Looks to me like you showed pushing them from the top.  It clearly appears they need to be lifted.  Thank you!

You basically "tilt" the tab away so that it will release the mirror.  It will make sense when you get to that point.  Just take our time and do it in sunlight if you can so you can see well.

1 hour ago, Black02Silverado said:

You basically "tilt" the tab away so that it will release the mirror.  It will make sense when you get to that point.  Just take our time and do it in sunlight if you can so you can see well.

Nice Thank you for the tip!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I bought body color mirror caps for my 2019 Sierra AT4. I figured the dealer would maybe put on for a decent price since I overpaid for the truck and had several issues right off the bat with master cylinder having to be replaced 500 miles into a brand new truck.. blah blah blah. I’m still bitter about it so I’ll move on. I just want to tell you this video saved me $80 plus. I was able to follow your directions and your video made it super easy to remove and place new caps. I’m a physical therapist and have had several clients with tremors , central hand tremors etc and I wouldn’t apologize for it. Hell I’d brag that you were able to perform this better than anyone who doesn’t have tremors. That’s impressive to me. But I just want to thank you. Saved me. And made my truck look better. 

• Thanks 1

When I bought my AT4 it came with the chrome caps shipped. They had “forgotten” to put the black ones in. I caught it on time and they replaced them in about 2 minutes. Guys took a flat head small screwdriver and popped them out of course probably broke the tabs of the chrome ones and then they popped the black ones in. Its faster but it does ruin the tabs of the ones removed.

Thank you for the work and post. Also glad for the tip that these dogs are just a bit wider. My 09 just makes it now. And the folding motors/gears are shot.

Tip for those buying a truck and want something minor changed on it. My last truck, I wanted a different grille and door handles than the SLT came with.  When getting a price on the truck, I said I'd  take it if they sell me the grille and handles at their cost and install at no charge. They agreed and did such.

So if there are a couple of things like those minor changes, get them agreed to in the deal. Of course this is a small town family owned and run dealership. You talk to the service manager on service major issues,  as he is working the lane with the other two writers and techs.

Edited by Stex

1 significant inch? 

Tyler

I could be wrong but I think it’s a 3 inch difference total. I did have a Tacoma that was quite a bit smaller in between so I may be misremembering. It’s pretty tight now.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, just bought a pair of black side mirror covers.  How did you get the plastic piece off, in the video it was already off?

Thanks Jerry