LED headlight bulb recommendation?

Looking to upgrade my halogen headlight housing (reflector) light output with some LED headlight bulbs.

I understand many people say not to do it as it blinds others, however I rarely drive at night and even then I live in a very rural area with little traffic. Most of the usage with be during the day with the DRL’s. 

So does anyone have recommendations for what kind of LED bulb I should go with, one that works good in the reflector style headlight housing?

Looking for a simple bulb swap, I think you should be able to just swap the bulbs out right?

8 hours ago, carsonj493 said:

Looking to upgrade my halogen headlight housing (reflector) light output with some LED headlight bulbs.

I understand many people say not to do it as it blinds others, however I rarely drive at night and even then I live in a very rural area with little traffic. Most of the usage with be during the day with the DRL’s. 

So does anyone have recommendations for what kind of LED bulb I should go with, one that works good in the reflector style headlight housing?

Looking for a simple bulb swap, I think you should be able to just swap the bulbs out right?

Go ahead and check out Auxbeam on Amazon. Best bang for the buck.

Edited by DominatorZ71

My truck is a 2014. Currently I have some Sylvania silver star ZXE bulbs. They are ok, but not that much of a upgrade from stock. I just think LED’s look better and are brighter.  

I was kinda looking at some HIKARI LED Headlight Bulb Conversion Kit on amazon, they have good reviews. They have a cheaper one and then of course a more premium higher output one. 2 year warranty. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GKPR452/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_OwkhDb8N6VV5N

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077BT6M6Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_QzkhDbWQRQTKP

They seem to be rated well. I said Auxbeam because I have them installed on 5 different vehicles with no issues. But those are rated well and have the better option as well. For what it's worth if you don't do night driving often do the cheap ones. The expensive options are great for cars with dust covers or limited space.

Doesn't matter if you rarely pass people, those that you do on a dark winding two lane road are in for a world of hurt and putting both of you in danger if they are elder or have eye problems. Do it right or don't do it at all, buy the projector headlights at least or proper housings made for LED's. Adding LED's or HID's are basically putting bulbs that are 3 or more times brighter than stock in with the same scatter that happens from a reflector, so that faint scatter people see stock is now much brighter. Don't be that person... You need more light for those back roads you can easily add a light bar behind the grill for the same price. 

Tyler

18 minutes ago, Lgetz said:

Supernova V4 LED lights.  Not inexpensive but you get what you pay for.  Pictures don't lie and neither do the LUX (light output) numbers.

Screenshot_20190703-090732.png

Screenshot_20190703-090627.png

Screenshot_20190703-090647.png

Screenshot_20190703-090821.png

Yup, and look at the light scatter he added to oncoming traffic, smart guy taking the easy way out...

Tyler

My experience and 2 cents...

My LED fiasco HERE.  I bought the Morimoto bulbs.  Good quality LEDs, crappy quality reflectors courtesy of GM.  While the LEDs are whiter, they don't shine down the road as far as the SilverStar bulbs I had previously.  I had to aim the housings down a turn and a half because I kept getting flashed by others, and that just made them worse.  Even at the same setting as the SilverStars, they did not shine down the road as far.

Follow the advice I was given - get yourself a good pair of projectors from a 14-15 LTZ and then upgrade to the LEDs and don't make the same mistake I did.  Waste of money without the projector housings.

3 hours ago, amxguy1970 said:

Doesn't matter if you rarely pass people, those that you do on a dark winding two lane road are in for a world of hurt and putting both of you in danger if they are elder or have eye problems. Do it right or don't do it at all, buy the projector headlights at least or proper housings made for LED's. Adding LED's or HID's are basically putting bulbs that are 3 or more times brighter than stock in with the same scatter that happens from a reflector, so that faint scatter people see stock is now much brighter. Don't be that person... You need more light for those back roads you can easily add a light bar behind the grill for the same price. 

Tyler

It's 2019. They make LEDs that mimic halogen pattern

11 minutes ago, DominatorZ71 said:

It's 2019. They make LEDs that mimic halogen pattern

Not in a reflector housing they don't.  That's the reason Federal DOT says they are ILLEGAL (but people still install them) ...