H11: Morimoto 2Stroke 2.0 LED Headlight Bulbs

Anybody use these or have any tips for these?  I've got them being delivered this week.  Supposed to work well in the regular (non-projector) style headlights that my Silverado has.  Getting tired of changing the Silverstar bulbs every year, and a little extra light never hurt.

LINK

14's and 15's, with the halogen headlights, are a royal pain in the keister to change the bulbs on the passenger side.  Not so bad on the drivers side though.  I choose to remove the air box so I could get my big mitts in there easier to change out the passenger side bulb.

20190613_181830.jpg

Edited by OldBlue61
Spellin'

One LED in and one halogen.  Quite the color and brightness difference.  Another pic w/ the Morimoto LED fog lights on as well.  All of the pieces fit inside the stock headlight with room to spare, and the stock cover fits over the bulb as well.  Funny hearing the fan running on the bulbs.  You only hear it when the headlights are on and the truck's not running.

Color of both the LED headlight and fog are almost exactly the same.  Now to go aim them...

20190613_182609.jpg

20190613_182904.jpg

Edited by OldBlue61
Additional info added
  • Like 2

On 6/14/2019 at 7:06 AM, OldBlue61 said:

One LED in and one halogen.  Quite the color and brightness difference.  Another pic w/ the Morimoto LED fog lights on as well.  All of the pieces fit inside the stock headlight with room to spare, and the stock cover fits over the bulb as well.  Funny hearing the fan running on the bulbs.  You only hear it when the headlights are on and the truck's not running.

Color of both the LED headlight and fog are almost exactly the same.  Now to go aim them...

20190613_182609.jpg

20190613_182904.jpg

The anti-flicker fit inside of the housing for the light as well? I have a set of XenonDepot lights on currently and it came with a grommet to run the wiring outside of the housing. My 2Stroke 2.0 lights arrived Saturday and I am about to install them. 

Yep, surprisingly.  They came with the input adapters (the large gold boxes in the 2nd picture of post #4) which fit inside the stock housing.  Not sure that I needed them, but I also ordered the OPTIONAL DRL ANTI-FLICKER LINKS, the 2 extra harnesses in the same post.  Hooked them all up, and they all fit inside with room to put the cover back on.  Nothing sticking outside.

2 hours ago, Irby1757 said:

The anti-flicker fit inside of the housing for the light as well? I have a set of XenonDepot lights on currently and it came with a grommet to run the wiring outside of the housing. My 2Stroke 2.0 lights arrived Saturday and I am about to install them. 

One thing I did notice - you could actually rotate the LED within the mounting flange (the part with the 3 tabs that lines up to the headlight housing) after the flange was attached to the headlight housing.  I rotated mine so that the LEDs are at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions.  Seemed the give the best light pattern.  Do that before you put the caps back on.  Ask me how I know... :rolleyes:

46 minutes ago, sk said:

Your sig says you have an LT.  Did you retrofit projectors into the stock halogen housings?  I didn't see them in your build thread.

Nope, stock halogen housings.  These particular bulbs are made for the non-projector headlights.

I can attest that they don’t work worth a damn in the projector style halogen headlight housing. They look brighter but they don’t throw the light down the road. I bought them through TRS (they’re local to me) and they allowed me to exchange them for HID’s which are so much brighter. If I had to do it over again, I should upgraded the projectors at the time too. 

On 6/19/2019 at 3:30 PM, OldBlue61 said:

Nope, stock halogen housings.  These particular bulbs are made for the non-projector headlights.

Not trying to start an argument - you can run whatever bulbs you want - but I can tell you they were NOT designed for use in reflector housings.  This comes straight from Morimoto (not TRS).  I dealt with them last year during the development of these bulbs.  They are made to replace halogen bulbs in projector housings.  That's why I asked about your housings.

Again, I'm not flaming, just informing.  You can run whatever you are happy with (that's what is great about USA!)

21 hours ago, cire0309 said:

I can attest that they don’t work worth a damn in the projector style halogen headlight housing. They look brighter but they don’t throw the light down the road. I bought them through TRS (they’re local to me) and they allowed me to exchange them for HID’s which are so much brighter. If I had to do it over again, I should upgraded the projectors at the time too. 

That is exactly what Morimoto found during testing.  The 2.0 bulbs are a great design but the GM projectors suck.  Morimoto recommends retrofitting with better projectors if possible but they will still sell you the bulbs either way.