Two Questions about my new Sierra.

I've looked in the manual briefly and haven't found the answers.

1. Is there a cabin filter?

2. How many miles typically to empty once the low fuel light comes on.

I probably could have googled, but sometimes just getting into a conversation about these things is more fun.

3 minutes ago, cbacarisse said:

I probably could have googled, but sometimes just getting into a conversation about these things is more fun.

I'm curious about the gas thing too.  I read somewhere (chevy.com or manual) that it has a 26 gallon tank but i've gone for well over 40 miles with the light on and never put more than 22.5 gallons in it so my best guess is that the light comes on with about 5 gallons left.  I average about 18 mpg so about 90 miles maybe?  I don't think I'll push it to the limit and try to verify that though.

I just am always like why the heck is this light coming on with that much left.  Makes me feel like it's an emergency when there's plenty.

10 minutes ago, cbacarisse said:

1.  I believe so but not sure

2. 40

1 hour ago, Robwcormack said:

I'm curious about the gas thing too.  I read somewhere (chevy.com or manual) that it has a 26 gallon tank but i've gone for well over 40 miles with the light on and never put more than 22.5 gallons in it so my best guess is that the light comes on with about 5 gallons left.  I average about 18 mpg so about 90 miles maybe?  I don't think I'll push it to the limit and try to verify that though.

I just am always like why the heck is this light coming on with that much left.  Makes me feel like it's an emergency when there's plenty.

I don't make a habit of running it low on fuel, but in my RAM I knew there were about 70 miles left when the light came on. I've filled this truck up twice, but have yet to see a light come on.

2 hours ago, cbacarisse said:

I probably could have googled, but sometimes just getting into a conversation about these things is easier.

Fixed that for you. A conversation on cabin filter and miles to empty would not be "fun"...

Tyler

From what I've read, the 19's only have a 24 gallon tank, down from 26 in the previous generations. Owners Manual is your friend under capacities. It's probably in the towing forum, but a lot of bitching and moaning from those that tow, about piss poor mileage range with a 24 gallon tank, not like the extra 2 gallons is gonna get you that much further down the road, but still. . . . .

There is about 2 gallons left in my 24 gallon tank when it says "low" instead of giving a number. So at about 16-17 mpg for my 6.2. That's 32+ miles which is not much. Don't push it.

The only thing I liked better in my 2017 F150 was the 36 gal fuel tank. Well, the seats were a little more comfortable as well, but I wouldn't trade back.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have never had the gas pump light come on I choose to refuel  at half a tank or better, weather conditions in the winter pretty much demand a full tank if you are going any where the snow might cause problems.   I just carry that attitude through the summer months.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ibmikey said:

I have never had the gas pump light come on I choose to refuel  at half a tank or better, weather conditions in the winter pretty much demand a full tank if you are going any where the snow might cause problems.   I just carry that attitude through the summer months.  

It's also not recommended to run below a 1/4 tank to avoid damage to your fuel pump. 

12 minutes ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

It's also not recommended to run below a 1/4 tank to avoid damage to your fuel pump. 

I've heard this before but I consistently run mine until the light comes on for about 10 years now with no issues. I'm might be in the camp of really lucky but I've done this with all of my vehicles. Currently sitting at 216k on the Avy. 

Modern fuel pumps are more advanced than you think. Fuel level in the tank really doesn't matter as much anymore because these vehicles run returnless fuel systems. The fuel that doesn't get sent up the fuel line to the engine is staying in the bucket and keeping the pump cool at all times. If there is enough fuel at the very bottom of the tank for the pick up sock, the pump is going to be okay.

It's still good practice to fill up when you have 3-5 gallons left or more though.

Even return style fuel pumps normally have the return line going right into the bucket to help cool the pump and always provide it with fuel.

Edited by CamGTP

Yes, when I replaced my fuel pumps (my truck has 2, the main one, and one that pumps from the aux. tank to the main tank), one of them had a note included saying that the warranty was void if the pump was run dry for more than 3 seconds (might have been 5, but a really short time). 

23 hours ago, Osteoman said:

There is about 2 gallons left in my 24 gallon tank when it says "low" instead of giving a number. So at about 16-17 mpg for my 6.2. That's 32+ miles which is not much. Don't push it.

The only thing I liked better in my 2017 F150 was the 36 gal fuel tank. Well, the seats were a little more comfortable as well, but I wouldn't trade back.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I believe that your the first person I've ever heard say that a Ford seat was more comfortable than, well, anybody else's seats.  I know the fords that I have been in the seats are hard as bricks.

Edited by wizard4878