Transparent Trailer

My trailer is 34’11”, exceeding the feminisms for transparent trailer. Has anyone attempted to rig the camera and get the feature to work for a trailer that’s longer than the spec? I think the limit is around 32’. Can’t recall.

I haven’t purchased the camera yet. I’m sure the first issue will be getting the wiring all the way to the plug. Can sort that out. Second would be what’s the camera view like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all. I knew I could get power to the camera whether it was an extension or the original power cord. Happy to hear it’ll reach. Will buy one, shorten the stats on the trailer to the max allowed dimensions in the system, and see how the camera angles look. Will report back.

Where’s the best place to get the camera? Didn’t see it on GM accessories.

Right now I have a Furrion wireless camera with a separate monitor. Works great and has Night vision. Good for lane changes and backing up in the dark. Interested to see the difference with transparent trailer. The cameras on the truck are a much higher quality and resolution than the Furrion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys with the rear trailer cameras, do you lose your surround vision on the truck when the trailer camera is installed?  When I ordered my truck it would not let me add the camera without removing the surround vision on my order sheet which confused me.  I don't have my truck yet.

Edited by Sniperdan

There are two systems that accept trailer cameras.  There is a base system where you just get bed camera, hitch camera, and two trailer camera inputs (UVI).  The uplevel system (UVS) has 360 deg camera, turn signal bias, transparent trailer, etc.

#iworkforGM 

• Like 1

Just bought a 2020 GMC 3500 Denalli and pull a 40' fifth wheel. Do I understand it right that the camera will work on the back of the trailer and show the behind the trailer view but not in the transparent view? Is there enough wire to run from the back of a 40' trailer to the plug in on the truck?

Thanks

David

Just bought a 2020 GMC 3500 Denalli and pull a 40' fifth wheel. Do I understand it right that the camera will work on the back of the trailer and show the behind the trailer view but not in the transparent view? Is there enough wire to run from the back of a 40' trailer to the plug in on the truck?

Thanks
David

https://www.shopchevyparts.com/electronics/2020-sierra-2500-invisible-trailer-camera-auxiliary-trailer-camera-models-with-uvi-and-cwm/84876818-p-92306125.html

7d5b802584a067a968e3b201b5d96bf9.jpg

Thanks

David

Well, it depends. What they mentioned above is you can get it to work you just have to trick the system into thinking you have a shorter trailer (for transparent view). When you put in the dimensions of your trailer you just put the length as 10 meters or whatever the max is for this feature.

In another thread I believe someone mentioned the cable is like 55’ or something pretty decent!

Let me know how it goes as I’m interested in how it looks with “trick” numbers.

Btw, I could be wrong but I believe for just the standard camera view it will work at any length, so it’s just the transparent view feature where you have to trick the system

I've yet to find the 'secret sauce' for getting the invisible camera to work with my 28ft Airstream. It will show it's 'calibrating', but never do so. To be honest, I'm not sure exactly what numbers I need to fiddle with. If anybody has had luck getting the invisible trailer to work, I'd like to know what numbers you have so I can compare them to what I have and have a play with all settings again.

27 minutes ago, Wbrisett said:

I've yet to find the 'secret sauce' for getting the invisible camera to work with my 28ft Airstream. It will show it's 'calibrating', but never do so. To be honest, I'm not sure exactly what numbers I need to fiddle with. If anybody has had luck getting the invisible trailer to work, I'd like to know what numbers you have so I can compare them to what I have and have a play with all settings again.

If the truck is calibrating, then the dimensions should be fine.  I would first look at the angle of your camera, it needs to be at 35 degrees (0 deg is straight down).  For calibration, you need to drive in straight line under 30 mph.  I like to exit the trailer app and select the transparent view in camera app.  There will be a status bar at the bottom that turns yellow as it calibrates.  My understanding it is will only calibrate during daytime.  I have also seen issues with spare tire and shadows that the system does not like during calibration.  If you are still having problems, post a picture of rear camera view and camera mounting on trailer.

#iworkforGM 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, david5311 said:

Thanks

David

You'll have plenty of wire. My 5th wheel is 42' and there is enough spare that I coil it loosely at the front king pin. I've not tried to "trick" it to do the invisible part, but it does give a nice view of the back of the camper and side mirror cameras. Very helpful, especially when backing. You can also leave it on as you're travelling down the road.

Not real sure if it will even try to calibrate being that my camera is mounted near the top of my camper due to a large window on the back of it. I may try to see what it does next trip to see if it will calibrate and give an idea of an invisible trailer.

10 hours ago, david5311 said:

Thanks

David

I don't think you can trick the system into working in transparent view for a fifth wheel.

Edited by cdnSpinalTap

17 hours ago, Wbrisett said:

Hi Wayne

I have an Airstream FC30 with a ProPride hitch.  Here are the measurements I'm using.  It took longer than I expected to complete the calibration, but it's working for me now.  

49642192491_422f48272c_z.jpg