New truck owner

Good evening fellow members. New Silverado 1500 Crew Cab short box LTZ owner here. This is my first brand new vehicle in a long time. I have a question regarding the 6.2. I have a whopping 99 miles on it right now. I just picked it up 2 days ago after waiting nearly 6 months for it to be built. How many miles did you have on yours before you drove it like you stole it? Well. I mean. How many miles should you have on the odometer before you can get into it a bit? My son is laughing at me the way I’m driving this truck. We went for a cruise on the highway today. And at 65 mph on a long level straight this truck was plodding along at 1200rpms.  I can feel there is so much power available. But I’ve got to maintain discipline. There are only a 100 miles on this truck. But even giving it like quarter throttle to merge onto the highway from the on-ramp. The motor really wants you to give it wide open throttle! Let’s have some fun!! But I just can’t do that yet. So. How many miles did you put on your truck before you drove it a bit more like you stole it? 

I used sell these trucks at a Chevrolet dealership up until a few months ago and I can honestly say that I've had customers test drive brand new vehicles like they stole them and never had one come back because of reliability after it sold either to the person who stepped on it during test drive or someone else. Being that you ordered yours the only driving done on it was the transport from train to truck to lot and the PDI (pre-delivery inspection) to make sure all things are functioning as they should. I have 2019 Trailboss and did my first oil change at the 500 mile mark. I bought my own oil and filter and had the dealer perform the service since the first one is free. Use your judgment from what I said and enjoy your truck. Welcome to the club!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jefez71 said:

I used sell these trucks at a Chevrolet dealership up until a few months ago and I can honestly say that I've had customers test drive brand new vehicles like they stole them and never had one come back because of reliability after it sold either to the person who stepped on it during test drive or someone else. Being that you ordered yours the only driving done on it was the transport from train to truck to lot and the PDI (pre-delivery inspection) to make sure all things are functioning as they should. I have 2019 Trailboss and did my first oil change at the 500 mile mark. I bought my own oil and filter and had the dealer perform the service since the first one is free. Use your judgment from what I said and enjoy your truck. Welcome to the club!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Thank you! I’m very excited! And very cautious at the same time. I also will do my first oil change at 500 miles. I got the sales manager to throw in 6 oil filters as part of the deal. It’s my first brand new vehicle in 15 years. So it’s nice to hear from owners with experience. I don’t want to want to mess something up because of my lack of knowledge. So it’s the GM-Trucks Forum I go with the vast knowledge of its members. 

My 2019 with the 5.3 is the highest HP motor I've ever had.  I sqawked the tires on the way home from the dealership.  I've driven mine normally; jumping on it when I need to.  I did the first OC @ 500 miles.  Just did the second one @ 3K.

The truck comes with a warranty.  If it's gonna break; the sooner the better in my book...

• Like 1

I gave mine a few hundred miles, mainly because I was fairly certain the dealer filled it up with regular gas. Probably the case with yours too.

Beyond that, my idea of breaking something in is putting it to the mat as often as I feel like. 

• Haha 1

First, welcome. Im old school and I usually wait for the first 500 miles to begin to push it. I do modulate my RPM's but at 1000 miles, two things happen. I do the first oil change and I really start opening it up. These are fantastic trucks so enjoy....

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Modern engines don't require a formal "break-in" procedure any longer, just vary the rpm's and avoid towing or hauling heavy loads for the first 500 miles. For peace of mind an early oil change is warranted. Most new vehicle owners are obsessed with the engine and don't consider the brakes, brakes still need to be broken in properly, consult your owner's manual.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chevyguy273 said:

Thank you! I’m very excited! And very cautious at the same time. I also will do my first oil change at 500 miles. I got the sales manager to throw in 6 oil filters as part of the deal. It’s my first brand new vehicle in 15 years. So it’s nice to hear from owners with experience. I don’t want to want to mess something up because of my lack of knowledge. So it’s the GM-Trucks Forum I go with the vast knowledge of its members. 

+? on the old school 500 mile rule of thumb, before doing anything major with the truck.

On the first oil change, you will get different opinions, the assembly lube mixed with your oil from the factory is actually a good thing for the engine because of the properties it adds.

So, personally, I waited till 5000 miles and have been on that OCI since.

But, in the end, do what makes you sleep at night, and Congratulations once again on your new truck.

• Thanks 1

On 7/11/2020 at 9:28 PM, Chevyguy273 said:

Good evening fellow members. New Silverado 1500 Crew Cab short box LTZ owner here. This is my first brand new vehicle in a long time. I have a question regarding the 6.2. I have a whopping 99 miles on it right now. I just picked it up 2 days ago after waiting nearly 6 months for it to be built. How many miles did you have on yours before you drove it like you stole it? Well. I mean. How many miles should you have on the odometer before you can get into it a bit? My son is laughing at me the way I’m driving this truck. We went for a cruise on the highway today. And at 65 mph on a long level straight this truck was plodding along at 1200rpms.  I can feel there is so much power available. But I’ve got to maintain discipline. There are only a 100 miles on this truck. But even giving it like quarter throttle to merge onto the highway from the on-ramp. The motor really wants you to give it wide open throttle! Let’s have some fun!! But I just can’t do that yet. So. How many miles did you put on your truck before you drove it a bit more like you stole it? 

you dont have to worry about it......just drive it

On 7/12/2020 at 12:28 AM, Chevyguy273 said:

Everyone is different. 

Every new vehicle I have purchased I drove off the lot just like the one I drove on the lot to be traded in.  I didn't adjust my driving style at all.  All our vehicles have been great with no issues. 

• Like 1

The main thing I try not to do is Tow/haul or use cruise for the first 500 miles then do an oil change and it’s off to the races

The new C8 corvette has a break in programmed in. Only 70% of the power is available until it hits 500 miles.

Welcome and enjoy the new truck [emoji16]

Ryan B.