different slider?

steve8

Are you able to opt out for a non sliding window replacement as a fix?

It would be cool if they switch to the tundra style window. The entire window gose down. And it's not like they have to design something new. Just pull the 1984 caprice station wagon designs from the archive. Copy, past the rear window design and boom problem is solved.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Moend said:

Are you able to opt out for a non sliding window replacement as a fix?

It would be cool if they switch to the tundra style window. The entire window gose down. And it's not like they have to design something new. Just pull the 1984 caprice station wagon designs from the archive. Copy, past the rear window design and boom problem is solved.

That was my thinking, if I get the leak issue I wondered if you could ask for the solid non slider for a replacement. 

The dealer will not just replace the rear window just because you ask them to. They have to follow GM's orders which are to use the sealant. Some have replaced the slider with a non slider, but they have paid for it out of pocket. As I stated earlier, if the tech knows what they are doing it only takes one trip to the dealer for them to lay a bead of sealant across the top of the rear glass. My dealer's service dept/tech had my truck ready the day I dropped it off. He said he removed rear cab spoiler to access top of rear glass, laid the sealant, and reinstalled spoiler. Left it to dry, and I picked it up that afternoon. Takes about a 24 hours for it to fully cure.

My tech said he has done so many that he can not count them, but has not had one to come back for a leak that he has sealed. I told him about how many folks on this forum has had problems with their service departments and having to return multiple times for the leak. He said he can not understand why, because the sealant is a good fix and has worked well for them. They have not replaced any rear glass sliders at all, just sealed them.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, winks79 said:

The dealer will not just replace the rear window just because you ask them to. They have to follow GM's orders which are to use the sealant. Some have replaced the slider with a non slider, but they have paid for it out of pocket. As I stated earlier, if the tech knows what they are doing it only takes one trip to the dealer for them to lay a bead of sealant across the top of the rear glass. My dealer's service dept/tech had my truck ready the day I dropped it off. He said he removed rear cab spoiler to access top of rear glass, laid the sealant, and reinstalled spoiler. Left it to dry, and I picked it up that afternoon. Takes about a 24 hours for it to fully cure.

My tech said he has done so many that he can not count them, but has not had one to come back for a leak that he has sealed. I told him about how many folks on this forum has had problems with their service departments and having to return multiple times for the leak. He said he can not understand why, because the sealant is a good fix and has worked well for them. They have not replaced any rear glass sliders at all, just sealed them.

I do think that not all techs are created equal. The sealant job on my truck for the leak was probably an 8/10, from how I looked at it. It held the seal for about 3-4 months, then started to leak again. 

So... I DO think a tech that can lay the bead well gives owners a longer horizon to go without leaking, but I also think it's not the permanent fix. 

6 hours ago, econometrics said:

I do think that not all techs are created equal. The sealant job on my truck for the leak was probably an 8/10, from how I looked at it. It held the seal for about 3-4 months, then started to leak again. 

So... I DO think a tech that can lay the bead well gives owners a longer horizon to go without leaking, but I also think it's not the permanent fix. 

I've posted it so many times. People say that the dealer should follow the TSB. However it's like you said not all techs are equal. Just like everyone of us on this forum. I could give the TSB to 100 techs and I guaranty you will not get the same 100 results!

15 months later, my seal job is still holding. The Kent 10200 sealant is a pretty stout product, and I believe if applied correctly it can last. I would say it’s permanent in my terms, mainly because I’m trading next year and I don’t care what happens after then.

The guys who want 10 years out of a truck might have more of a reason to pucker up.

Any good sealant should pretty much fix the leak for the life of the truck as long as it’s applied properly. RDI HVAC silicone sealant I use for work holds up on outdoor and rooftop units sealing different material types together for 15-20+ years being exposed to sunlight and all elements. $5 a tube, -60f to 400f service temp, 25% joint movement. 
95% of contractors cannot lay a decent bead of caulk. I do not think this average is much different than dealer service techs. I agree the fix not holding is most likely tech error. 

6 hours ago, Sqrls said:

Any good sealant should pretty much fix the leak for the life of the truck as long as it’s applied properly. RDI HVAC silicone sealant I use for work holds up on outdoor and rooftop units sealing different material types together for 15-20+ years being exposed to sunlight and all elements. $5 a tube, -60f to 400f service temp, 25% joint movement. 
95% of contractors cannot lay a decent bead of caulk. I do not think this average is much different than dealer service techs. I agree the fix not holding is most likely tech error. 

And most likely the majority of those errors are improper surface prep.

14 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

15 months later, my seal job is still holding. The Kent 10200 sealant is a pretty stout product, and I believe if applied correctly it can last. I would say it’s permanent in my terms, mainly because I’m trading next year and I don’t care what happens after then.

The guys who want 10 years out of a truck might have more of a reason to pucker up.

I'm puckering... I try to keep cars 10-15 years. Maybe I should just use spray foam - lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1