Added OEM trailer brake controller

That's a little pricey but very stylish. And it solves mounting the controller by your legs issue. I might have to look into this one some day...

Only issue for me is that is where my 4x4 switch is so I don't think there would be enough real estate there. I would have to chose somewhere else to mount the dial.

Edited by mikeyk101
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mikeyk101 said:

That's a little pricey but very stylish. And it solves mounting the controller by your legs issue. I might have to look into this one some day...

My service guy chose the mounting point.
Nice thing about a dealer install is I have someone to blame when it doesn't work.
Same for my tow mirrors, the trailering cameras (one on each tow mirror, one at the front, bed cam, etc.)
I'm having them install a Borla dual exhaust system later this week - I'll post up a vid in the Mods section.
Fortunately, my dealership is great - I buy all my stuff through the myChevrolet app and the associated web site ... I really gotta stop doing that!
Whenever I get a call from the dealership, after I placed an order and it's arrived, they just laugh and say "I see you've been at it again! Let's get you scheduled."
I've picked up more parts than I can count for self-install so when I walk in to the parts department, they know me by name.

• Like 2

On a side note, I am a wrencher when I need to be.
Many of the mods on my truck I did myself - I leave the electronic stuff to the dealer - as I mentioned, I have someone to blame if it goes sideways.
On my 535i BMW, just replaced the passenger side window regulator today - worked great but if  I made a mistake, I would only have myself to blame.
Fortunately, I have a long history with e32s and e34s so I think I'm good. :D

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mikeyk101 said:

Only issue for me is that is where my 4x4 switch is so I don't think there would be enough real estate there. I would have to chose somewhere else to mount the dial.

That’s what I was thinking when I first saw the photo. One idea (though I don’t know how well it would work in actuality) is to mount the controller inside the center console. In my years of trailering I’ve so rarely used the manual braking so having the controller not so quickly accessible shouldn’t be an issue. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, swathdiver said:

JL1 is the Integrated Trailer Brake Controller.  Integrated means that the wiring harness is different as well as the programming for the ECM, BCM and EBCM among others.  JL1 equipped trucks also include a Solid State Relay and the Integrated Trailer Brake Control module.

All you've done is buy the switch.

Now, this is the case for my older GMT900.  I'm pretty sure this still applies to the K2s, my memory is failing me.  The T1 guys, can just plug it in and it works if memory serves.

So for you Ryan, look along the driver's side frame for this:

ITBC1.JPG

I’ll look for this, I assume I should be checking for “JL1”?

16 hours ago, mikeyk101 said:

I think there is different ideas on what works best and that's why there are different options and opinions. As long as you get the trailer to stop with the vehicle, you win. In my case, I prefer a inertia/proportional controller and have the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 on mine. I like that it is able to sense how strong or how light I brake and proportionally apply the brakes according to that and it's immediate as soon as I step on the brakes. This is especially important in a panic stop. A timer based controller wouldn't give you immediate braking in that situation. Where there might be an issue with the proportional controller is on ice or snow and might not sense how hard you are braking if ABS kicks in. But this will probably be a non issue as the trailer will probably be parked in winter and not get used.

i've used the timer style for 10 years pulling trailers every other day, then recently tried Inertia, was very disappointed to say the least, it never put out enough brake force even maxed out,.  but I love the timer units better, puts more brake power to the trailer, so less wear on the trucks brakes. if you need more stopping power just hit the slider, stoopid simple designs is what works best

• Like 2

Well, you've got a pretty factory switch in your dash, but that's all you have.

GM is pretty cut and dry here.  Sell that dash panel and switch and get a nice aftermarket controller.  

#PIT5241G: Adding Integrated Trailer Brake Controller RPO JL1 - (Mar 30, 2020)

Brand:

Model:

Model Year:

VIN:

Engine:

Transmission:

from

to

from

to

Cadillac

Escalade

2015-2020

All

All

All

All

Chevrolet

Silverado 1500

All

All

All

All

Chevrolet

Silverado

2015-2018

All

All

All

All

Chevrolet

Silverado LD

All

All

All

All

Chevrolet

Silverado 2500/3500

All

All

All

All

Chevrolet

Suburban

2015-2020

All

All

All

All

Chevrolet

Tahoe

2015-2020

All

All

All

All

GMC

Sierra 1500

All

All

All

All

GMC

Sierra

2015-2018

All

All

All

All

GMC

Sierra Limited

All

All

All

All

GMC

Sierra 2500/3500

All

All

All

All

GMC

Yukon

2015-2020

All

All

All

All

Supersession Statement

This PI was superseded to update Models section. Please discard PIT5241F.

Condition/Concern

Some customers may request the factory Integrated Trailer Brake Controller (RPO JL1) be installed on their Full-Size Pickup or SUV when the vehicle was not ordered with the option. 

This is to advise you that, if the vehicle does not have the option (RPO JL1), it cannot be added to the vehicle. 

Note: Reference the latest version of PIT5282 - which advises how to install an aftermarket trailer brake controller.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I'm a bit confused here, so please work with me. I just bought a 19 Silverado LD. It has a hole where the trailer brake controller usually goes.  It DOES have the JL1 option code, which reads "trailer brake controller". So with this, what do I need to make it work, or do I also go aftermarket? It also has the Z82 option code, for all it's worth. Thanks for your time.

3 hours ago, captainruss99 said:

Ok, I'm a bit confused here, so please work with me. I just bought a 19 Silverado LD. It has a hole where the trailer brake controller usually goes.  It DOES have the JL1 option code, which reads "trailer brake controller". So with this, what do I need to make it work, or do I also go aftermarket? It also has the Z82 option code, for all it's worth. Thanks for your time.

Couple of questions.

Did you buy the truck new?

When you say "hole", can you post a picture? There is no hole (big slot) with the factory controller. You have a very small "slit" where the manual tabs are on top, and then a small square where the plus/minus buttons go (hope this makes sense).

The picture is the factory panel for a 4WD truck.

See the source image

9 hours ago, captainruss99 said:

I believe adding the controller on a T1 is plug and play, search this forum, someone did it in 2019 or 2020.  

I was a bit vague earlier. I bought used. there is a cubby hole where the brake controller is on JimCost's picture. It is a factory hole, with a little mat on the bottom. I can't get a pic right now. I would need to buy the part that he posted a pic of. I was wondering if that's all that is needed with the JL1 option. I will call the dealer parts dept. to see if they have any info. I do have an inside connection there, so they won't brush me off. will post results.

I talked to my "connection", in the parts dept., he did some digging around, and he said it would not work, even with the JL1 option. So I bought the GM under dash controller, complete with plug in harness, for $85, and installed it.

• Like 2

The factory brake controller CANNOT be added to the vehicle. Its NOT designed to be an add-on.  You have to use an accessory brake controller because the vehicle lacks the other components it needs to work.   

• Like 1

• 2 years later...