A question here.

I put my winter tires and wheels fromy 2019 Silverado 2500HD onto my new 2021 Silverado 3500HD  and the truck will not read the TPMS sensors. The tire shop said the dealer needs to reprogram the sensors to the new truck. Took it to the dealer and they say that this cannot be done even though the TPMS part numbers are identical between the years and that I need to buy new sensors for the new truck. Any help would be appreciated as this makes no srnse to me! Thanks in advance.

6 minutes ago, Carter Bouslaugh said:

Like I said, they are the SAME PART NUMBER, both 433mhz, no difference.

Ya, If they were programed to a different MHZ, you cannot program them to a different one after. What is the part number for the sensor. 

If they were programmed to 315MHZ then they cannot be changed to 433MHZ (and vice versa) and a new set of sensors will need to be ordered.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Carter Bouslaugh said:

13528563 part number for both trucks. Both 433mhz. FACTORY sensors from the 2019, not some cheap aftermarket chinese sensors. Sensor tool reads them fine, but will not register to the 2021 truck. Dealer just says I need to buy new ones, no other explanation.

That's weird. i would run it down to Americas tire(discount tire and see if they can do it. assuming the tire shop wasn't Americas tire/discount tire). Keep you old set of tire with sensors at home( away form the vehicle).

They will do it for free and it will take a few mins.

12 minutes ago, BlancoSilverado said:

That's weird. i would run it down to Americas tire(discount tire and see if they can do it. assuming the tire shop wasn't Americas tire/discount tire). Keep you old set of tire with sensors at home( away form the vehicle).

They will do it for free and it will take a few mins.

They were the original tire shop that said only the dealer could re-register the sensors. 

You can buy a cheap relearn tool for $10 that will do both 315 and 433MHZ. You have to put the truck into learn mode and then use the tool at each sensor and it will honk the horn when it is learned. I've done this on my 2021 and with the 315mhz sensors numerous times on my 2008 Avalanche.

12 hours ago, Carter Bouslaugh said:

If the dealer and a tire shop cannot do it with professional gear, how is a cheap tool going to help? LOL

Do you have the VIN from your 2019 still?  

Did they break down the bead on the 2019 wheels to verify the sensor # and frequency?  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Carter Bouslaugh said:

If the dealer and a tire shop cannot do it with professional gear, how is a cheap tool going to help? LOL

I've dealt with enough idiots that are "professionals" and can't fix crap that I've been able to fix myself. It's not rocket science to pair sensors if you follow the correct procedure and the sensors are indeed the correct matching frequency.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, GETGONE said:

I've dealt with enough idiots that are "professionals" and can't fix crap that I've been able to fix myself. It's not rocket science to pair sensors if you follow the correct procedure and the sensors are indeed the correct matching frequency.

Yupp -- and newdude is trying to get the OP to verify that the part number/frequency for both sets of sensors.

Some part listings show multiple part numbers for the years in question. 

Verifying what they are may help determine the solution -- and determine if the dealer is correct that new sensors are needed.

No matter what tool is available, if the frequency of the sensors does not match the frequency of the vehicle they will not be able to be paired.

Of course, this is why many tire shops use dual frequency sensors.

Slightly higher sensor cost, but then it doesn't matter what the vehicle frequency is.  Great convenience to the tire shop.