Well I had to get mufflers to correct my “fix it ticket.”  I ended up getting a x pipe and dynomax bullets on my catback true duals for the new readers.  Very disappointed in the sound. Going from straights to mufflers is depressing.  No matter what mufflers it is and these are the loudest ones I could get.  Not sure how I feel about the x pipe, I got it primarily to make the strange vaccum chop go away and it did that perfectly. However it might be contributing slightly to making it quieter, I don’t know.  So if you’re out there and you want to make your exhaust a little louder- I can only recommend one thing (which i will be doing on my 18th birthday)- long tube headers, catless straight pipes with x pipe to 8” slash cut shorty tips.  

You'll just be driving into another ticket once you go with long tubes and catless exhaust. The amount of drone and rasp will drive you nuts. You'll be yelling just to talk to your passenger unless you're coasting.

9 hours ago, Avery Dameron said:

Well I had to get mufflers to correct my “fix it ticket.”  I ended up getting a x pipe and dynomax bullets on my catback true duals for the new readers.  Very disappointed in the sound. Going from straights to mufflers is depressing.  No matter what mufflers it is and these are the loudest ones I could get.  Not sure how I feel about the x pipe, I got it primarily to make the strange vaccum chop go away and it did that perfectly. However it might be contributing slightly to making it quieter, I don’t know.  So if you’re out there and you want to make your exhaust a little louder- I can only recommend one thing (which i will be doing on my 18th birthday)- long tube headers, catless straight pipes with x pipe to 8” slash cut shorty tips.  

I had an exhaust guy I used for 40 years. Early on in my crazy days I would run semi quad exhaust. I put y pipes on both sides one out in front of the back tire with a header flange with caps and one out the back. There’s also mufflers called super trapp. They have disk that you adjust. You can run them open. I even ran quads all the way.  You could get real fancy and go electric cut outs. You could even run side pipes or stacks. My brother still has them on his little red express truck. Stacks and cut outs. The first one we did it on for racing.

10 hours ago, Avery Dameron said:

Electric cutouts bro...

This will keep you legal, see a cop flip the switch and they are none the wiser

11 hours ago, Byrds8 said:

^^^This. Not to mention, just because its loud...doesn't mean it sounds good. I will eventually get to my exhaust but Id rather have a nice clean sound and rumble that just loud and nasty.

Trust me. Catback dual straights to 6” slash cuts sounds absolutely incredible. I had people tell me all the time it sounds good. Now it just sounds sad and deflated. I think the x pipe had something to do with it. 

8 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I had an exhaust guy I used for 40 years. Early on in my crazy days I would run semi quad exhaust. I put y pipes on both sides one out in front of the back tire with a header flange with caps and one out the back. There’s also mufflers called super trapp. They have disk that you adjust. You can run them open. I even ran quads all the way.  You could get real fancy and go electric cut outs. You could even run side pipes or stacks. My brother still has them on his little red express truck. Stacks and cut outs. The first one we did it on for racing.

I will get long tube headers and no cat straight duals to 8” tips. Theres really nothing better

14 minutes ago, Avery Dameron said:

Too expensive 

??? Like $400 per side. Saves you the cost of having to do this stuff again when you get flagged by the cops. I'm giving you good advice here, keep your truck loud but do it the proper way. 

The x-pipe did not deflate your exhaust sound trust me. It did remove the wobble that you have in exhaust pressure though and that is a good thing. 

The headers is going to make your truck crazy loud though, if you think it is loud now wait until headers. Hell if you want loud just do open headers no tips no nothing.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Avery Dameron said:

I will get long tube headers and no cat straight duals to 8” tips. Theres really nothing better

If want to hear it without pissing off people you bring it out in front of the back wheels with straight through mufflers. Or dump under the cab. Iv had every exhaust compo. I tried that once never took it off the rack. It was just obnoxious. 

Edited by KARNUT
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, SSGUNNER said:

That is what x pipes do, quite down the sound quite a lot.  I think the Y pipe may have been a better option.

Yea i didnt realize that. Im going to give it a little while and cut it off and put pipe back.  And I’ll probably sell it. 

On 11/19/2021 at 12:05 AM, CamGTP said:

You'll just be driving into another ticket once you go with long tubes and catless exhaust. The amount of drone and rasp will drive you nuts. You'll be yelling just to talk to your passenger unless you're coasting.

Idk my buddies ‘94 f 150 really isnt that loud and it’s basically the same as that.