Live Post: May 8th/9th - 2014 Silverado First Drive

Sorry to dig this up again, but any word on how the manual option works? I really like to be able to force the transmission to change gears when needed (Force an upshift or prevent a downshift).

Sorry, I didn't address it yet. I tried it out and it seemed to work exactly like the current trucks. I don't think the transmission is very different as, now that I think of it, it was never even mentioned. The selector stalk is lifted unchanged out of the 900s.

Rumor is an all new 8-speed is coming down the pipe.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rumor is an all new 8-speed is coming down the pipe.

PLEASE elaborate!

Since the 8 speeds aren't available at launch PLEASE tell me they will be available with the 6.2 this fall or at least with the Denali trim.

Since we have heard no news of the Denali I am thinking they are going to roll out the 8 speed similar to the 6 speed rollout.

First 2 years of production 8 speed is only available with the 6.2 Denali.

I like the way the hood looks from inside truck! I have a Camry with fabric in wheel wells. I had to double check to see if it was some kind of shipping protector! Mud!?! Hey, I can live with a little rain splashing noise inside wheel wells!

Oh, and Chevy/GM, I want to be able to turn off that 4 cylinder thingamajig.

Zane, any comments on the hill hold? The folks on Camaro-5 do not have kind words for it. They go to take off and it holds them too long.

Also I asked in your other post if the not as long frt dr now put the B-pillar in play for taller drivers?

Zane, any comments on the hill hold? The folks on Camaro-5 do not have kind words for it. They go to take off and it holds them too long.

Also I asked in your other post if the not as long frt dr now put the B-pillar in play for taller drivers?

The few times that I had the hill-hold kick in I really liked it. It seemed like it didn't take that 1/2-second to release the car like it has in the past. I didn't specifically test it out over and over though.

I'm a little below average in height at just under 6ft, so I had no issues getting in and out. Is that what you mean? I chatted with others at the drive event and no-one mentioned the b-pillar. I only drove crew cabs, not any double cabs.

PLEASE elaborate!

Since the 8 speeds aren't available at launch PLEASE tell me they will be available with the 6.2 this fall or at least with the Denali trim.

Since we have heard no news of the Denali I am thinking they are going to roll out the 8 speed similar to the 6 speed rollout.

First 2 years of production 8 speed is only available with the 6.2 Denali.

There's well established rumors of 8-speed or higher transmissions coming out in the next model year or two. Is it possible the Denali will get it first? Maybe... but I've not heard anything about it specifically.

Thanks for the reply. Have you driven a GMT 900 for comparison? If so was this new truck amazing or just a marginal improvement over the last gen?

Thanks for the reply. Have you driven a GMT 900 for comparison? If so was this new truck amazing or just a marginal improvement over the last gen?

We own a GMT-900 (Project Sierra) so we have more experience comparing the two than most of the reviews you will read on these trucks.

My personal opinion is the new trucks are progressive and evolutionary. There's no big changes, nothing world changing, but damn... they drive nice.

Speaking of, finishing up my first drive thoughts today. I hope to post tonight or tomorrow.

Curious if you learned about the Max Trailering Package. I see it isn't available until Fall. What are the extra components of the package that cannot be order separately today? Great information here. Thanks!

Curious if you learned about the Max Trailering Package. I see it isn't available until Fall. What are the extra components of the package that cannot be order separately today? Great information here. Thanks!

The 6.2 won't be available until fall

We own a GMT-900 (Project Sierra) so we have more experience comparing the two than most of the reviews you will read on these trucks.

My personal opinion is the new trucks are progressive and evolutionary. There's no big changes, nothing world changing, but damn... they drive nice.

Speaking of, finishing up my first drive thoughts today. I hope to post tonight or tomorrow.

Mervz, did I miss these comments somewhere or just still finishing up? Thxs

Archived