Live Post: May 8th/9th - 2014 Silverado First Drive

I see it good for cold weather as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

People need to stop being wusses. I grew up in NH and live in MI now and never wear gloves once in the truck. :lol:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've lived in California and Florida. I only go to Utah in summer. I hate cold. I wear gloves in the truck until the heater starts working

Start it 10 minutes early. :lol:

Only time I've worn gloves in a vehicle other than for work was when I was in Colorado and our heater wasn't working. -30 outside, I bet the cab was almost 0.

I appreciate them making the controls glove friendly though, because it makes them even better with gloves off.

I've lived in California and Florida. I only go to Utah in summer. I hate cold. I wear gloves in the truck until the heater starts working

Yep, the climate has made you a wuss. :lol:

Thankfully I don't have to go to CA often anymore but I used to laugh to myself about people dressed up in jackets and crap when its in the 50s, or even 60s. :lol:

I don't wear jackets until its in the 40's

Hi everyone, the internet flaked out on site. Super slow. I'm back at my hotel now.

Here's some more photos. I'll get you my first driving impressions too. Just hang on for a bit.

2013-05-09 12.41.35.jpg

2013-05-09 08.56.25.jpg

2013-05-09 08.53.14.jpg

2013-05-09 08.56.10.jpg

2013-05-09 12.41.35.jpg

2013-05-09 08.56.25.jpg

2013-05-09 08.53.14.jpg

2013-05-09 08.56.10.jpg

2013-05-09 12.41.35.jpg

2013-05-09 08.56.25.jpg

2013-05-09 08.53.14.jpg

2013-05-09 08.56.10.jpg

2013-05-09 12.41.35.jpg

2013-05-09 08.56.25.jpg

2013-05-09 08.53.14.jpg

2013-05-09 08.56.10.jpg

Are there ac vents for the rear passengers?

Not that I could see or remember.

Do you miss the front space that was given up for larger rear doors?

No, it was plenty big enough. I only drove the Crew Cabs however.

Here's some of my first impressions:

Overall: More rigid, refined, smoother, and quieter. An evolution of the Silverado that will be even easier to live with on a daily basis.

5.3L: Much quieter than last gen, almost no exhaust note (from inside) at idle. Very smooth, controlled, and a nice kick up in to the power, but nothing earth shattering. DI unique clicking sound can be heard from outside.

4.3L: Shares only the displacement with the "old" 4.3L. No comparison otherwise. Drives a lot like the 5.3L but with less power and torque. Still, a Crew Cab with a 4.3L was not under-powered in the least.

AFM: That GM is still including AFM is a sore point with some. I think this new version might change your mind. V8/V4 and V6/V4 changes are nearly imperceptible, aside from the tell tale in the cluster. The 5.3L's AFM is strong and stays in V4 mode quite a bit more than the outgoing engine. The 4.3L's AFM works very similar to the current 5.3L. It really doesn't like staying in V4 mode very long.

Random stuff:

• Didn't see a regular cab but sat in a "double cab" (new name for extended cab). It seemed comparable to the outgoing model but slightly more cramped getting in now that the doors have changed.
  • The LCD sceen for MyLink is angled really weird, almost away from the driver?
  • MyLink (at least the versions we tried) were very slow and frustrating. Even changing the volume had lag in it. Promises are being made that the "production version" will be better.
  • The increased rigidity in the frame is well noticed and perhaps the largest change generation to generation. It really made the entire vehicle feel more "together".
  • The new brakes are a BIG improvement. Stopping power and brake feel are surprisingly better.
  • Pricing seems steep! I know they are saying the starting price is similar but the trucks I drove today all topped $45k easily.

I have over 200 photos to pour through and post. I'll also write up a more concise piece when I get home and address some of the questions you've asked of me in the past.

I'll answer any more general questions you have here in this thread.

Some interesting sketches from the development of the Silverado

The one in the middle looks like the Ford Atlas concept.

so long

j-ten-ner

Edit: And I like the interior in the sketch better than the one they actually made.

Edit: And I like the interior in the sketch better than the one they actually made.

You're not the only one who thought that....

When are they going to start showing up on dealer lots.

"Early summer"... probably around 4-6 weeks. Maybe one or two will show up before then. The roll out will be slow, as only the crew cab and 5.3L will be in production at start.

Your the first person that I've heard say that the 4.3 is weak in V4 mode. Displacement of the 4.3 is actually higher in V4 than the 5.3. 2.8l for the 4.3 and 2.6l for the 5.3.

I think the sprayed in factory bed liner is kind of cool but the cooled seat air "exhaust" is already raising a ruckus with back seat passengers on hot days.

Still can't get use to fabric lined wheel well liners. Brake package looks the same as my '13 6.2. Same rear axle. I'll have to see if I can dig up rotor size specs.

Not weak..just harder to keep in V4. I liked the cooled seats but they are noisy and yes, have exhuast to the rear seat. Not sure it's hot air though.

The fabric lined wheel wells are to quiet things down when it is raining.

Archived