HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

Tim, I know I asked you before but what temperature and wattage did you go with? 5500k 35W?

Install looks great tho! Good job!

Thank you sir!

Yes, I went with Morimoto 35w ballasts and 5500k bulbs for this setup.

P.S. When you finally do yours, let me know and I'll send you the other ballast extension that I have. They're sold in pairs and I only used one on the passenger side and wont need the other extension. It'll make mounting the passenger side ballast just a tad easier with the extra cable :cheers:

Edited by Tim99GT

Thank you sir!

P.S. When you finally do yours, let me know and I'll send you the other ballast extension that I have. They're sold in pairs and I only used one on the passenger side and wont need the other extension. It'll make mounting the passenger side ballast just a tad easier with the extra cable :cheers:

Thanks man! I might take you up on that. I think the only difference is I'm planning on going 55w vs 35. Anxious to get it ordered and installed!

I just decided to pick up a set of HID's from The Retrofit Source. 4500k bulbs, 35 watt ballasts, igniters, canbus, relay harness. Not gonna do a full retro right now, just gonna use the stock projectors.

please make a video

Edited by bigsam94
  • Like 1

Planned on it. Got my package from TRS yesterday. Prolly gonna work on it over the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks, alot of us are visual idiots and have to see it done. My biggest concern with HID's are if they are reliable, my buddy has a $1000+ dollar set of retrofits on his f150 and he had to get rid of them because they never worked right. It would really suck if ive got work and cant see shit (the lightbar helps, not sure the 5-0 would want me blasting it down the highway). Ive only heard good stuff about TRS though, and it sounds like i can go back to stock easily.

Thank you sir!

Looks good!

What did you do for the plastic low beam caps/covers?

Have you figured out how to adjust the beams left and right? I feel like I want to point them a little outwards however the knob that's supposed to adjust it only moves them up and down.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Looks good!

What did you do for the plastic low beam caps/covers?

Have you figured out how to adjust the beams left and right? I feel like I want to point them a little outwards however the knob that's supposed to adjust it only moves them up and down.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

You could put.some small washers on the left or right posts of the projector. That will tilt left or right directionally.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upgraded my plug and play 4500k 35w trs hid kit to 2.5" fxr with 5500k osram bulbs. Big difference and worth all the effort. Thanks to everyone on here for info and tips which helped with the install. I used the bracket from Fast which made life easier as well. Here are some pics

667eea6321c3aba917ab1f2d40200eef.jpg

e943a1c15e753877ce094be63c259065.jpg

bb58ab419853559adc43d393c0af0f20.jpg

14c780a47746f030f3d89cb6438aa999.jpg

a69f008a00e4790913a0b8ca65c6a6dc.jpg

Upgraded my plug and play 4500k 35w trs hid kit to 2.5" fxr with 5500k osram bulbs. Big difference and worth all the effort. Thanks to everyone on here for info and tips which helped with the install. I used the bracket from Fast which made life easier as well. Here are some pics

667eea6321c3aba917ab1f2d40200eef.jpg

e943a1c15e753877ce094be63c259065.jpg

bb58ab419853559adc43d393c0af0f20.jpg

14c780a47746f030f3d89cb6438aa999.jpg

a69f008a00e4790913a0b8ca65c6a6dc.jpg

is fast making the headlight adapter bracket out of something other than white plastic? i need to order another set of brackets because mine broke and got messed up on install. they were cheap and flimsy. and i need to shim mine with washers also because they are pointed too far inwards.

is fast making the headlight adapter bracket out of something other than white plastic? i need to order another set of brackets because mine broke and got messed up on install. they were cheap and flimsy. and i need to shim mine with washers also because they are pointed too far inwards.

The brackets I got were black and I guess printed the way the plastic was textured and had almost a layered look, I don't have a pic of them unfortunately

They weren't flimsy but I was careful cause I didn't want to crack/break them. I had to re-drill two holes on them too as they weren't wide enough and once the projector was mounted to the fast bracket and the projector bracket from the headlight I added some epoxy just in case. Wish I added a bit more though hopefully everything stays in place but it should be fine. I opened the headlights to do the retro and didn't do the rear entry

Hey there

You may have had version 1 that we made. Can't disagree with you that they were not the best setup. Much better design now and an easier installation. It is still made with abs plastic, but that is what all the plastic parts in those headlights are made from and strength is not to be a concern. Email me at [email protected] and I will give you a solid discount on these brackets since you already ordered some in the past:)

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Well i've read about 20 pages of disagreements and decided i'll just ask for myself.

I've had a 55 watt 6000k ddm kit in my f150... however, that truck was bough cheap and i wasn't really worried about longevity. However, i just bought my gmc new and would like to go with a decent kit.

Looking to do a plug and play 6000-6500 (as close to white with a hint of blue) 35 watt kit and LED fogs to match.

What is the general consensus on clean, plug and play, bulbs that match the specs listed above?

Thank you for your help... lots of good info in here. Especially by the OP.

I havent been able to install my HID's yet. One of my igniters has a small gap in the casing and it looks like a nice spot for water to get in and cause an issue. I emailed TRS about it, but hey are out of the office until today. Hopefully I hear from them soon and get a replacement sent out ASAP.

I had the exact same problem with mine. I took the capacitor off all together and it worked. The problem is within the capacitor for sure. If you take it off and bypass the capacitor they will come one. I called the place i got them from and checked all the fuses turned each connector around even took my brothers ballasts and relays off to make sure none of the was messed up. Still didn't work. Took the capacitor off and it fired right up. So far no problems the guy on the phone was surprised it was working. I've drove it several hours now and no problems. Don't mean I wont have one in the near future but hopefully they will get me a replacement before too long and I can try it.

I did just that, unplugged the capacitor completely and flipped over the input wire and worked great. Had a little buzzing at first but noticed I had a loose ground. Now it works perfect and is super bright!