HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

12 hours ago, MHPrior80 said:

Yes I did. Here is a pic for ya..
56b4888c4f6d38d40f06e052489adbc4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those do look pretty cool. How are they from a performance standpoint? What does the included projector cutoff look like? I assume they are designed for halogens so throwing an HID kit in there would likely illuminate the road worse throwing light all over the place instead of focusing it. Are the projectors screwed in? 

Edited by SWOYER

Yea the stock bulbs are horrible. Which is why I’m switching to LEDs. I have LEDs in the fog lights which ultimately has helped see better at night so I wasn’t relying just on the stock bulbs. Should be nice and bright though once installed, especially with the LED fogs on too ( plus the I bar is 6000k, so everything should match perfectly then. I know the fogs and I bars match now )

Edited by MHPrior80

17 minutes ago, MHPrior80 said:

Yea the stock bulbs are horrible. Which is why I’m switching to LEDs. I have LEDs in the fog lights which ultimately has helped see better at night so I wasn’t relying just on the stock bulbs. Should be nice and bright though once installed, especially with the LED fogs on too ( plus the I bar is 6000k, so everything should match perfectly then. I know the fogs and I bars match now )

lol, you skipped over the.. most of that light won't even hit the road in the wrong projector part. I would imagine those are designed for halogen bulbs and that's what you should use. PIAA bulbs or phillips are pretty bright. LED kits are a TOTAL waste of money, and I think even an HID in that projector may or may not work well. Think about it before you waste your money on an HID kit. 

Oh these were just some cheap LEDs I bought off eBay for $7 and some change shipped to my door to try out. If not I’ll order the 6000k Phillips bulbs from pep boys down the road to match then. Figured for $7 it was worth the try. 

3 hours ago, SWOYER said:

lol, you skipped over the.. most of that light won't even hit the road in the wrong projector part. I would imagine those are designed for halogen bulbs and that's what you should use. PIAA bulbs or phillips are pretty bright. LED kits are a TOTAL waste of money, and I think even an HID in that projector may or may not work well. Think about it before you waste your money on an HID kit. 

I was going to put HIDs in an aftermarket headlight assembly like this, anzo, spyder, spec-d etc, just haven't chosen which one. I mean do you really think the projectors in those could be worse than the stock Chevy ones?! 

4 minutes ago, Jrd505 said:

I was going to put HIDs in an aftermarket headlight assembly like this, anzo, spyder, spec-d etc, just haven't chosen which one. I mean do you really think the projectors in those could be worse than the stock Chevy ones?! 

Considering that they probably both use junk projectors, yes. It's like having a spotlight vs a flood light. You'd need a WAYYY bigger flood light since the light isn't focused. Not to mention you'd be one of those people just blinding the shit out of every car you passed. Not even for an actual gain. 

Need input[emoji1317]
The problem persists. I noticed this evening that when I unlock at night, the headlights are then on. However when I go to turn the truck on, the driver side light either goes off immediately or within a minute or two.

I tried shutting the lights off and then back on. This fixed the issue for a few moments and then, bam, the driver side light shut off again.

So.... any thoughts here? This is crazy that this issue is still on going even after replacing BOTH ballasts.

Looking forward to hearing from the experts.

What kind of reuck is it I have a 15 Gmc serria with projector head lights and when I put my bids in I had that prob I went into the computer setting gas and turned the lights off when lock/unlock truck I was told that when u unlock and lock truck for the bid to worm up once u get in and start truck it shots off and turns back on it wasent allowing enough time to let the bulb worm all the way up and tripping the ballets with a power serge on and off to fast  but ever since then I haven’t had a prob not sure if this helps but I’m also switching out my bids and putting less in 

Edited by Fireguy63

A problem persists ....

I noticed this evening that when I unlock the truck at night, the lights turn on. (Morimoto HID kit with 35w ballasts) However when I go to turn the truck on via ignition, the driver side light either goes off immediately or within a minute or two.

I tried shutting the lights off and then back on. This fixed the issue for a few moments and then, bam, the driver side light shut off again.

So.... any thoughts here? This is crazy that this issue is still on going even after replacing both ballasts.

Looking forward to hearing from the experts.

Update: I swapped igniters yesterday, ballasts and bulbs. Neither are the issue. I fired up the kit while testing it and at one point, the driver side housing appeared to smoke a bit. I shut the lights off. Couldn’t find anything obvious that causes excessive heat but now, the driver side light does not work at all. The passenger side light continues to work fine.

Sounds like a bad connection somewhere..... I gave up on Moimoto ballast and relay crap. Hylux all the time now. As a reseller of all these parts it was killing me diagnosing issues. Too many parts to troubleshoot. Hylux hasn't failed yet. Less phone calls and emails.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

What kind of reuck is it I have a 15 Gmc serria with projector head lights and when I put my bids in I had that prob I went into the computer setting gas and turned the lights off when lock/unlock truck I was told that when u unlock and lock truck for the bid to worm up once u get in and start truck it shots off and turns back on it wasent allowing enough time to let the bulb worm all the way up and tripping the ballets with a power serge on and off to fast  but ever since then I haven’t had a prob not sure if this helps but I’m also switching out my bids and putting less in 
Do not switch to LEDs. You will be disappointed. Not nearly as bright

2 minutes ago, FastWS6TA said:

Do not switch to LEDs. You will be disappointed. Not nearly as bright

Really they aren’t as bright my hids  don’t seem to be as bright as some leds iv seen  is cause leds are in a projector lens vs a reg light houseing 

On 2/15/2018 at 8:56 AM, Fireguy63 said:

Huh? I cannot fully understand that at all.

I have figured out bid = HID, reuck = Truck, worm = warm, ballets = ballast, serria = Sierra, shots = shuts, serge = surge and I think that is it. What do you mean when you say "computer setting gas"? Could maybe help more if it was understandable, do you not proof read before posting or use some punctuation? I think you are asking about the timing of the HID's needing to warm up and starting the truck quickly causing them to short out? Is that it?

Tyler

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry was useing voice text.  yes when unlocking the truck and then jumping in to start it right way does not allow the hids to warm up fully. And then they shot off and right back on The computer in the truck on your dash board has a setting where you can turn the lights off when lock/unlocking your truck that’s what I’m talking about I did with mine and it work fine.