HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

Retro'd in some RX350 US shield projectors today I to my eagle eyes aftermarket ltz replica headlights. Other than having to open the headlight to cut some area around the mounting posts for the solenoid to fit, it was a direct bolt in replacement for the halogen projector using the non-afs bracket from TRS. I did try to fit a TL BIX but that thing is too massive. Also got the fx-rs to fit in nicely but I much prefer the RX350 performance over the fx-rs. I can post some pics tomorrrow

Oh... that's crazy! ...... the caps you have made are the caps the help to cover the FX-R retrofit kit if I'm not mistaken. Right ? ..

And I know this was probably answered somewhere but are the FX-R direct replacement for the stock projectors or are some people having issues ? TRS say they are direct and only had like 2 or 3 issues that are not direct and some people had to mod it.

What ever produces a good part for the best price. Printing it is way more expensive than I thought, but it takes about 10,000 units to make molding a cheaper alternative.

That sounds like a money looser. I would guess 100 units would be more realistic for how many will be sold. This is a case where taking care of your own project has to be the priority and any incidental ability to help someone is just a plus. I'm looking at a similar situation with the adapters for installing the RX projector in the GMC. Although the adapters are much cheaper per unit for small numbers produced.

Edited by spurshot

Oh... that's crazy! ...... the caps you have made are the caps the help to cover the FX-R retrofit kit if I'm not mistaken. Right ? ..

And I know this was probably answered somewhere but are the FX-R direct replacement for the stock projectors or are some people having issues ? TRS say they are direct and only had like 2 or 3 issues that are not direct and some people had to mod it.

Post 901 or 910 will help with that. Yes these are the cover to work with them. They won't be cheap. They are way more complicated and about 3 times the size of the gmc extended covers. I'm looking for the best deal on 10 to 20 at a time and will do a group by once all is ready.

That sounds like a money looser. I would guess 100 units would be more realistic for how many will be sold. This is a case where taking care of your own project has to be the priority and any incidental ability to help someone is just a plus. I'm looking at a similar situation with the adapters for installing the RX projector in the GMC. Although the adapters are much cheaper per unit for small numbers produced.

Yeah. I like to help people when I can and invent things all the time I can't make, so this will be a triple cool for me since i also want mine sealed without tape.

I think at first 10 to 20 people maybe, but more might do it if this option is there and the will likely keep running this light for years, so that will increase some with time unless they offer HID factory at some point.

Wow, the GMC caps are simple. Thanks for posting some pictures of one.

I was looking at machining some GMC caps or part of the cap for my project. The complex part is in the locking tabs. Machining that section would require a multiple step/setup/machines to do a simple little, but critical detail.

I recommend you try out thoroughly whatever parts you make. That locking tab makes or breaks the part. If it fails, the part becomes useless. Keep in mind that GM is using some kind of FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) and that plastic is a high density or super high density, relatively high strength and durable material.

Yeah. The GMC has four equal tabs making it easier. The Silverado has two size and they are not at all even. Then they have another tab to guide the alignment and locking. First attempt was very close, so I'm pretty confident the second try will be a go. These won't be as strong, but these should be about 80% as strong. Might not handle kids throwing them as well but should be fine in regular use.

Yeah. The GMC has four equal tabs making it easier. The Silverado has two size and they are not at all even. Then they have another tab to guide the alignment and locking. First attempt was very close, so I'm pretty confident the second try will be a go. These won't be as strong, but these should be about 80% as strong. Might not handle kids throwing them as well but should be fine in regular use.

On the silverado I did notice that it is a really tight fit for the cap on the side closest to the fender. The way that the cap is designed, you can make the raised portion any wider or it won't clear the radiator support on the fender side. I'll try to show you what I'm talking about

I already know. Pushing it closer on the second one, but have to leave room for variations from truck to truck. My truck has been appart for 5 days. I'm trying to test the second one before it's put back together. Also, trying to mount a light bar behind the grill.

Edited by Crf450r420

I was looking at machining some GMC caps or part of the cap for my project. The complex part is in the locking tabs. Machining that section would require a multiple step/setup/machines to do a simple little, but critical detail.

I recommend you try out thoroughly whatever parts you make. That locking tab makes or breaks the part. If it fails, the part becomes useless. Keep in mind that GM is using some kind of FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) and that plastic is a high density or super high density, relatively high strength and durable material.

Jon A has his own 3D printer and can make some GMC caps for you. I have some from him that I got for when my VLED LMZ headlights come in.

He already has an extended cap designed

Edited by Mike1220

Here are some output pics of the RX350 retro I did the other day. until my splitter arrives I just have the high beams hooked to the Bixenon not the halogen reflector. The output is really nice so I may just keep it this way. These really dont do it justice though the iso and whitebalance isn't the greatest on the phone. Sorry for the terrible quality but my Note 4 is all I got to take pics.

About 25 ft from wall

20150114_192629_zpsczvffkcy.jpg

Same distance with high beam, different angle

20150114_192807_zpsfgmwztpm.jpg

Driving down the road low beam

20150114_195403_zps5dxre1wc.jpg

Driving down the road High beam

20150114_195410_zpspripeton.jpg

Projector fits very nice in the housing, Can't tell its not original.

20150114_192638_zpssqqkq6gc.jpg

Edited by corwest
  • Like 3