Power steering malfunction with Remote Start

This past weekend I got in my truck after remote starting it and the dash display showed a message of: "Service Power Steering" and my power steering was completely out... Happened two more times when remote starting it. This only seems to happen when remote starting the truck and even if I shut it down and fire it back up with the key the power steering still won't work.. As you all know the 14's are all electric power steering so I figured there was some kind of wiring issue or something. Took it in, they ran a software update on the truck and sent me on my way.. This morning remote started the truck and there it was again, no power steering… I'm developing forearms of steel and a sizable headache over this. Anybody else have problems with this?

I thought it could be tied to the cold weather, but I see some of you guys on here are up in Alberta where it's a hell of a lot colder than Michigan.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your problem sounds very similar, I'm not sure if you've taken yours in yet, but the first thing they'll do is run an update on it.. They did that on mine thinking that would fix the issue and the very next day the power steering failed again. Mine did seem to be tied to remote start, but there were a few times where it happened on key turn as well. My truck is in the shop getting the power steering rack assembly replaced. I took the truck in on 12-17 and still don't have it back.. I think this is a widespread problem because it seems to have been a problem for my dealer to get the parts.. I'd suggest you take yours in and tell them that you've done some research online and you think the power steering rack may need replaced.. the dealerships really don't know what they're doing on these trucks because they've not serviced many yet.

Let me know how it goes!

I've been to two dealerships. They did the reset thing. (At both I guess). I can't take it in till next week. Not looking forward to waiting for parts though. I phoned and asked if they'd order it now so it's there but they gave me the run around on that.

"We have to check all the terminals and connections... We don't want a $2000 rack in stock if we don't end up using it..."

Yeah we'll I don't want a crapy Malibu courtesy car for a week.

This sucks.

I've been to two dealerships. They did the reset thing. (At both I guess). I can't take it in till next week. Not looking forward to waiting for parts though. I phoned and asked if they'd order it now so it's there but they gave me the run around on that.

"We have to check all the terminals and connections... We don't want a $2000 rack in stock if we don't end up using it..."

Yeah we'll I don't want a crapy Malibu courtesy car for a week.

This sucks.

Yeah that's bullshit, same thing happened to me and I did indeed get stuck with a buick verano.. which is basically a malibu with buick badges. Tell them chances are with the amount of these that have power steering issues even if they don't use it on yours they'll need to have it for the next guy who comes in with the same problem next week! You've already wasted a lot of your own time on this, I'd get with Jennifer (the GM customer care rep on here) and let her know what's going on..I gave her the info on my situation and it straightened my dealer out in a hurry.. PM me for details if you want.

I have a similar problem except much worse. When I start up my truck and drive about a mile, I get warnoing lights on the power steering, brake assist and stabilitrack. Not very comforting driving this around. Need to take it in asap.

So I took my truck in and they had to call a service rep in Michigan to figure it out. They are replacing the entire power steering motor that is being overnighted from Michigan. Wish me luck.

So I took my truck in and they had to call a service rep in Michigan to figure it out. They are replacing the entire power steering motor that is being overnighted from Michigan. Wish me luck.

I'm in MI, just got mine back from having that done on Friday.. Very happy to finally have my truck back! We got about 15 inches of snow last night and the truck was a tank!

These things must not like the cold...wonder if its messing with the EPAS module. Strange because other GM vehicles have rack mounted modules and motors and seem to have no problems...

Yeah that's bullshit, same thing happened to me and I did indeed get stuck with a buick verano.. which is basically a malibu with buick badges. Tell them chances are with the amount of these that have power steering issues even if they don't use it on yours they'll need to have it for the next guy who comes in with the same problem next week! You've already wasted a lot of your own time on this, I'd get with Jennifer (the GM customer care rep on here) and let her know what's going on..I gave her the info on my situation and it straightened my dealer out in a hurry.. PM me for details if you want.

Off topic but Verano rides on the Cruze chassis not Malibu . Regal and Malibu share chassis... :smoker:

These things must not like the cold...wonder if its messing with the EPAS module. Strange because other GM vehicles have rack mounted modules and motors and seem to have no problems...

Off topic but Verano rides on the Cruze chassis not Malibu . Regal and Malibu share chassis... :smoker:

Haha! that makes it even worse! Malibu>Cruze

My truck went to the dealership yesterday and they had a rental car ready for me. It is a Cruze lol. It's not the worst thing I've ever driven.

No real progress as far as I can tell today. The guy they're talking to at GM won't release a rack until they do more testing in the morning. Is what they said.

I did however get them to order me a free set of rubber floor mats, so I'm really happy about that!

This has been a big inconvenience for me, I'm on vacation right now, I'd rather be travelling in my truck than waiting here for it and I've had to pay for three more ferry trips than I would have otherwise. (Ferry costs like $65)

Fixed or not I think they'll give me my truck back tomorrow.

More updates to follow

My truck went to the dealership yesterday and they had a rental car ready for me. It is a Cruze lol. It's not the worst thing I've ever driven.

No real progress as far as I can tell today. The guy they're talking to at GM won't release a rack until they do more testing in the morning. Is what they said.

I did however get them to order me a free set of rubber floor mats, so I'm really happy about that!

This has been a big inconvenience for me, I'm on vacation right now, I'd rather be travelling in my truck than waiting here for it and I've had to pay for three more ferry trips than I would have otherwise. (Ferry costs like $65)

Fixed or not I think they'll give me my truck back tomorrow.

More updates to follow

Do they not realize how pissed a guy gets when you take away his best friend and replace it with a 4 popper??

Trucks working great so far. If it happens one more time I get a new rack.

Fingers crossed lolpost-126723-0-68962900-1389544603_thumb.jpg

They did say they fixed a loose pin in one of the harnesses.

post-126723-0-68962900-1389544603_thumb.jpg

a4egyta7.jpg

Picked up my new 2014 Denali with 6.2 L last Saturday. Love it. Drove it all day. Went out for the evening. Parked it and after coming back out to get into it a couple hours later temp had dropped to about -32. Truck started right up and still had some temp on gauge. Right after startup got service power steering. Drive with care. Shut off truck and tried to restart twice with no luck. Drove it about 10k to a buddies shop and disconnected battery. Left it 10 minutes. Still the same issue. Strong armed it home. Tried it the next morning. Same thing. Drove it to the dealership strong arm that evening. The next morning they said they started it no issue. No problems. So my new truck had 280 k no problem. 100 k no steering. How do you know if it is a rack issue or motor issue. When they checked codes the only one they found was low battery from me disconnecting it. Yet I still had no steering after. Why the phantom issue. Little concerned as this truck is getting a 6" lift and rubber put on it this week and not exactly thrilled with the potential for another phantom fail.

Thoughts? Comments?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived