2014+ Lowering / Drop Kits

4 minutes ago, maxpower98 said:

does anyone have the mcgauphy's flip kit? wondering how the pinion angle is with it? do people normally have to add shims to the trans to cure a vibration?

Some get lucky some dont. i have a 1 degree shim in.  No flip kit is perfect. Theyre all the same. and a pinion shim is 20 bucks and 2pminutes to doi

Finally joined the forum. Been following this thread for awhile and just finished up installing a Belltech 3/4 on my 4wd truck. (struts, spindles, and a flip kit)

20180721_203457.jpg

20180723_161608_HDR.jpg

20180721_203440.jpg

Edited by K_Sevy
Add additional picture
  • Like 5

On 7/19/2018 at 4:15 PM, UofAZCats said:

Did some measuring since I got up early thinking about this thing.  Right now the front measures 32.5" from ground to wheel well.  Originally my front measured 36" to fender.  The rear measures 32" on the driver side rear and 31.75" on the passenger side (which explains why the bottoming out sounded like it was from that side). 

Right now the truck bottoms out quite easily.  Heck if I just stand on the bumper and bounce I can easily bottom it out.  With the reverse hanger I had planned on coming up a couple of inches (a 5"drop) which I assume would greatly reduce bottoming out.  However that re-introduces the rake, based on the above measurements, that I really do not want.  Obviously I can just raise it 1" (a 6" drop) and the rake would effectively disappear but I am concerned that I would bottom out on a regular basis.

My goal with the lowering had always been to give it more if a street truck look and improve the ride quality.  At this point I am leaning towards changing out the front and find something else that will give me a 2 to 2.5" drop in the front with as few other issues as possible.  With that I would raise the back to a 4 to 4.5" drop which I would expect to eliminate bottoming out altogether. 

I am actively interested in input and suggestions.

A 2/4 would be perfect for that kind of stance. A 6" drop should really be put in with a notch. The top of the axle is only a couple inches away from the bed. If you look on top of your rear axle there is a bracket that sticks up off of it. That's hitting the bottom of the bed. The corrected shackle and removing your spare tire will help. The drivers side is a touch lower due to the added weight of the gas tank. It's measuring lower now because the parts are settling back into place. 

As for alignment, my shop didn't have any issues getting alignment but said I don't have very much play left when I go lower. That won't be until my air bags go in though which will also be new arms and a 4 link rear.

On 7/21/2018 at 9:41 AM, maxpower98 said:

After 1000 miles on my djm stuff the real flip kit bolts loosened. Was getting a crazy clunk and the sandwich plate bolts were loose. I am definitely thinking of going with the bell tech or mcgauphy flip kit. 

You should re-torque any kit after 100 miles and check periodically. This will span any suspension mod you do.

On 7/19/2018 at 7:59 PM, lovelessjl said:

For what it's worth, I have my rear set at 6" with no bump stops and I've got a couple thousand miles on it and have never bottomed out. I'm gonna get underneath the truck soon and check to make sure everything is still tight. No rattles or anything like that, just checking.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Come drive on CA roads and see if you bottom out or not. That would be a true test. :D LOL

6 minutes ago, Goinovr said:

Come drive on CA roads and see if you bottom out or not. That would be a true test. :D LOL

Agreed. Im at 4/7   i live in ca. ihit bump stops all the time

8 minutes ago, Nasty said:

Agreed. Im at 4/7   i live in ca. ihit bump stops all the time

ya we have some of the worst roads. I hit a bump so hard a while back I lost a front shim putting my drivers side at 5" while the pass was still at 4". That was a fun drive. 

@UofAZCats  When those parts come in for your rear end can you try an snag a pic either before or after they go in?

Edited by Goinovr

Just now, 2k10CrewCab said:

They’re not that bad LOL

Not 3rd world country bad but a lot of our roadways are pretty bad and falling apart. Part of my commute feels like I'm back on the Rubicon. LOL