Recirculate cabin air

You guys are killing me.....its is unreal the lengths people will go when they feel they are entitled to something. It also just proves that in large groups people can convince themselves of whatever they want. The anecdotal evidence of "my last x number of cars did or didnt do this or that" is as old as cars themselves. If anyone took two seconds to do a google search, you would find the following...

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/616197-exhaust-smell-from-traffic-even-with-recirculate-air-on.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/112566-what-check-outside-smell-entering-car-cabin.html

https://my.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/bad-smell-outside-gets-easily

http://www.optimaforums.com/forum/5-optima-general-discussion/35690-outside-odors-help.html

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/recirculate-air.7836/

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-forum/t-630449.html

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1140782-Recirculate-letting-in-outside-odors

http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24124&p=333368

This was all found on the first two pages of a google search....

On top of that, someone posts a bulletin from GM that says even when the recirculate is at 100% closed, DUST still comes in from VARIOUS LOCATIONS...if dust can get in, why cant smells? And the fix was to make the system work LIKE PREVIOUS MODELS....

What an absolute waste of valuable time.....

• Like 2

Exactly Wilshire and FFS

I think GM should mail these people with sensitive noses some " nose plugs" , because their expectations of a sterile cab are over the top.

It's a truck not a operating room.

• Like 2

If air has to be exchanged in the cabin, doesn't the smell of the air come in too? Charcoal filters take care of smells. I don't run recirc during the winter as it fogs up the windows. i'm sure there is science as to why so i leave it in fresh air. Under max a/c conditions in recirc all i smell is the a/c. If unwanted smells are the worst of your problems in life, i sure would like to trade spots with you. I live in the country, if i don't smell cow crap i think there is something wrong LOL.

I have a 2008 Sierra with Auto HVAC and by design, the recirc mode is only available if the selector is set to blow from the dash vents and the a/c compressor runs when it is in recirc. This is a safety feature to keep windows from fogging up. With floor/mix settings, when you push the button it will just blink. I wonder if they changed the software on the newer models so the system shows recirc but the door won't move unless it's set to dash vents only.

• 7 months later...

Has anyone had the dealer change the settings to air recirculating? I am taking mine back in this week to see if there is a fix that works. I literally had an asthma attack this week while stuck in traffic behind a smoky diesel, the second time in the last 3 months. If it can't be fixed I will be trading in and going back to Toyota. I drove a f250 this week as well and a f150, and have to say no issues and felt that they drove better. Wish I could turn back the clock. As much as like this truck, my health is more important. Hopefully there is a fix.

• Like 1

My honda did not let in smell or anything when in recirculation mode. My new 2016 Silverado lets in outside smell when in recirculation mode. It is not a safety issue when other vehicles are able to prevent outside smells from coming in. I might have to trade in my brand new truck if they can't fix this. I'm suppose to "deal" with breathing in exhaust fumes"? that's f***ked up for a $50k truck!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2014 GMC Sierra SLT Crewcab, 2 weeks old. I have noticed that when I have the air recirculating in the cabin, outside air closed off, I still am smelling outside air, cigarette smoke from the next car while sitting at a light, bus exhaust, skunk smell. I also have a Buick Enclave ('11) and my old Silvefrado ('03) which did not permit outside air from entering the passenger cabin when the 'recirculate' button was in use.

I is almost like the 'door' is not closed completely. Has anyone else experienced this?

i have a 2016 GMC SIERRA SLT AND I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM, I WHEN TO THE DEALER THEY CHECK AND THEY SAID ALL IS OK ! HELLO U CAN SMELL ALL BAD ODOR FROM OUT SIDE!

Hey sduff,

Sorry to hear that this is going on with your Sierra! Have you talked to your dealership about what you are experiencing? I would be happy to help you set this up if you would like to PM me your name, contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealership.

Sincerely,

Jonathan A.

GM Customer Care

i have a 2016 GMC SIERRA SLT AND I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM, I WHEN TO THE DEALER THEY CHECK AND THEY SAID ALL IS OK ! HELLO U CAN SMELL ALL BAD ODOR FROM OUT SIDE

• 4 months later...

Having the same issue on my 2015 and have had it into the dealer twice now. Today they said that the tech called engineering and that the system is operating as designed and nothing further can be done. I have a case number so i'll be following up with Customer Care as this is unacceptable.

Edited by navydad06

• 3 months later...

Hello to everyone who has a GM product with issues pertaining to the recirculating air button. I have in the past 6 months purchased a 2016 Tahoe and a 2017 High Country Silverado and both of these vehicles I have problems with outside odors coming inside when the recirc button is on. Knowing that this was not normal because of previous GM automobiles that I've owned prior, I called my dealership to inquire about the issue. After a month of taking my vehicle to the service department and numerous phone calls to different people and departments, a GM representative told me that that is how GM designed it to work. It's designed to NOT close all the way. How stupid is that? Anyway, this representative told me that someone told him that you could replace your cabin air filter with a more dense filter and that this will help with, but NOT eliminate all outside odors, fumes, smells etc., etc.,....... I'm going to continue to research this to hopefully find a solution and I would incourage you to do the same. I spent over $130,000 on these two vehicles and I want and deserve a solution. Good luck!!!

• Thanks 1

Just bought a 2017 Suburban and having same problems. The manual states it reduces the outside air. Unfortunate, because my expedition completely closed off outside air and was an amazing feature I miss. Jet fuel spill, exhaust, and skunk smells are part of my purchase I guess now. Too bad there wasn't a Hepa filter we could put in.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Hello to everyone who has a GM product with issues pertaining to the recirculating air button. I have in the past 6 months purchased a 2016 Tahoe and a 2017 High Country Silverado and both of these vehicles I have problems with outside odors coming inside when the recirc button is on. Knowing that this was not normal because of previous GM automobiles that I've owned prior, I called my dealership to inquire about the issue. After a month of taking my vehicle to the service department and numerous phone calls to different people and departments, a GM representative told me that that is how GM designed it to work. It's designed to NOT close all the way. How stupid is that? Anyway, this representative told me that someone told him that you could replace your cabin air filter with a more dense filter and that this will help with, but NOT eliminate all outside odors, fumes, smells etc., etc.,....... I'm going to continue to research this to hopefully find a solution and I would incourage you to do the same. I spent over $130,000 on these two vehicles and I want and deserve a solution. Good luck!!!

Can you get that in writing. That the vent doesn't close all the way? If we can figure out the air supply location, might be able to get a Hepa filter in there.

Put a charcoal based cabin filter in...that or place a dryer sheet on top of the cabin filter so you can escape to lavender delights as the air flows.....or just use a febreeze air freshener clip on in the vent.

Just bought a 2017 Suburban and having same problems. The manual states it reduces the outside air. Unfortunate, because my expedition completely closed off outside air and was an amazing feature I miss. Jet fuel spill, exhaust, and skunk smells are part of my purchase I guess now. Too bad there wasn't a Hepa filter we could put in.