2014+ AFM (Active Fuel Management)

I only have 9k miles on my truck (6 weeks old so it hasn't shut off much) and I have no noticeable oil loss. I check oil regularly just for that reason and when I checked it just before my oil change at 5k miles, it was to the line and still pretty transparent. Its my understanding that the DOD has been improved but I couldn't tell you how. I have other family and friends with late model DOD trucks/suv's and I can't recall any of them coming to me about an issue and I'm usually the one they come to.

With all that being said, It's obvious that there has been some reports of DOD related oil consumption and lifter failure issues, I just couldn't give you an accurate failure rate. Either use your warranty and chance the unknown odds or you are proactive and tune it out. Because once it starts using oil, its not going to get better by removing the DOD afterwards, and I really don't think that the Warranty will be much good for most oil consumption issues because its my understanding that GM thinks a 2qt oil loss is acceptable between oil changes.

This is one of the conundrums for people that are on the fence about tuning.

Steve

Steve

Toyota also has an acceptable oil consumption. I forget what it is but it's higher than gm at least on our sienna van.

Ryan

• Like 1

Mine is set to only go into v4 mode after 55mph. I couldn't stand driving in the city with it always going back and forth.. Doesn't really bother me now and the mpg's do get effected when it's always in v8 mode. All thanks to my custom street tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also V4 mode can only go on for 360 seconds, after that point the ECM kicks it out. I seriously doubt there are any issues with block heat or distortion.

Aluminum expands/contracts a lot more than cast iron due to temperature--roughly twice as much.

That they have time limits on the operation at all indicates this likely is an issue they are of which they are fully aware and setting the time limit at what they feel is a reasonable compromise between added efficiency and added wear, among other things.

• Like 1

Aluminum expands/contracts a lot more than cast iron due to temperature--roughly twice as much.

That they have time limits on the operation at all indicates this likely is an issue they are of which they are fully aware and setting the time limit at what they feel is a reasonable compromise between added efficiency and added wear, among other things.

That's probably true, I was thinking along the lines of heat dissipation properties probably being better than cast but I'm not sure its good enough to counter the expansion rate, but I'm no metallurgist. Either way, either material, V4 could possibly be detriment to the longevity of the engine. What year did DOD start in these trucks? Just curious as to how many miles early DOD engines have been going? I will probably do like another user did and disable mine in town for now.

You would think with all the extra gears in the tranny the could get the MPG that way and leave the engine alone. I use to use gear vendors for that reason. Plus the gear splitting of course. For now I use m5 till I get over 55 get 16 to 18 in town depending on warm ups.

I have the 2014 Silverado 1WT package, and how do I know if I am in V4 or V8? There is no indicator on my truck dash like there is on the 1LT or 2LT Silverado's....

Mine is set to only go into v4 mode after 55mph. I couldn't stand driving in the city with it always going back and forth.. Doesn't really bother me now and the mpg's do get effected when it's always in v8 mode. All thanks to my custom street tune.

How did you set it to only go into v4 after 55?

How did you set it to only go into v4 after 55?

Custom Tune

Man I'm just curious but what are you going to do if you ever have any warranty issues come up?

I would love to add a exhaust and a custom tune to mine as well that disables the afm all together but am afraid that as soon as I do something major will crap out on me.

Man I'm just curious but what are you going to do if you ever have any warranty issues come up? I would love to add a exhaust and a custom tune to mine as well that disables the afm all together but am afraid that as soon as I do something major will crap out on me.

If his water pump goes out, fuel pump, alternator, VSS sensor.... etc etc. anything that isn't directly related to the tune, they probably wont check for a tune, and he will have no trouble getting that stuff replaced. If he has lifter failure, rod knocking, trans slipping, rear end fails, then he will probably get his check book out. Which is what we should be doing anyway if we are modifying the tune and putting more power to the ground than was designed from the factory.

The only thing I don't like about all this crap is that you cant even change your speedo calibration without loosing your warranty, ANY ECM MODIFICATION PERIOD... which is bullshit.

Man I'm just curious but what are you going to do if you ever have any warranty issues come up?

I would love to add a exhaust and a custom tune to mine as well that disables the afm all together but am afraid that as soon as I do something major will crap out on me.

First off.. If you're afraid to tune DONT tune. But with no risk comes no reward. I live my life by that saying.

I don't plan on keeping the truck more than 4-5 years. I'll put it back to stock before I sell/trade it in for the next best thing.

Also.. Just because you tune doesn't mean you're putting extra strain or making the motor work harder to turn the wheels.. It actually makes it run smoother and better than from the factory. I advanced the timing 3 degrees and air/fuel ratio 8.4% Staying within normal daily driving there will be no risk. It's not like I made it a hotrod and I drag race it everywhere lol. Believe it or not I haven't even floored it yet.. No reason to there is plenty of power.

If something decides to blow up on me for no good reason that's the risk I'm willing to take. These trucks are built strong and are designed to take a lot more power than the dealer gives you. Just wait until somebody supercharges or throws a turbo on haha. Forced induction and internal motor work (cam ext) you're knocking on troubles door and are prone to blowing it to pieces. But even then it'll take quite a bit to do so.

Have a lil faith in these trucks and stop letting the few that cry about them ruin your decisions. It's your truck. This custom tune was the best thing I've done and will ever do to the truck.

• Like 2

First off.. If you're afraid to tune DONT tune. But with no risk comes no reward. I live my life by that saying. I don't plan on keeping the truck more than 4-5 years. I'll put it back to stock before I sell/trade it in for the next best thing. Also.. Just because you tune doesn't mean you're putting extra strain or making the motor work harder to turn the wheels.. It actually makes it run smoother and better than from the factory. I advanced the timing 3 degrees and air/fuel ratio 8.4% Staying within normal daily driving there will be no risk. It's not like I made it a hotrod and I drag race it everywhere lol. Believe it or not I haven't even floored it yet.. No reason to there is plenty of power. If something decides to blow up on me for no good reason that's the risk I'm willing to take. These trucks are built strong and are designed to take a lot more power than the dealer gives you. Just wait until somebody supercharges or throws a turbo on haha. Forced induction and internal motor work (cam ext) you're knocking on troubles door and are prone to blowing it to pieces. But even then it'll take quite a bit to do so. Have a lil faith in these trucks and stop letting the few that cry about them ruin your decisions. It's your truck. This custom tune was the best thing I've done and will ever do to the truck. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well spoken! Curious: Did you have a custom tune (dyno) done or are you using one of the known street tuners?

Mike