2015 Silverado & Sierra to get 8-speed transmission

Zane

Thats not a fair race your 5.3L CC less displacement and more weight V/S your 6.2L EXT cab more displacement and less weight. What tires and gear ratio do the two trucks have? CC probably has a lower gear but does not make up for the .16L difference and more weight.

We were not comparing our trucks. Only comparing 93 octane to E85. We did a fair comparison in that regards.

We do have the same 3.42 gearing, same size tires with the same 6A tranny. All tests were done starting in paddle at 25 mph so no downshift occurred. Both paddled up at launch so normal shifting took place up to the limiter of 98 mph.

Did you drive at least 50 miles after the change to E85? if not its not again an accurate test. To be more accurate you would need to let the TCM shift gears not do it manually. Too many variables to be an accurate test.

He was on his second fill up with E85. Drove it to almost empty filled up then drove again until that E85 tank was gone and filled again. E85 works in these 2014 trucks!

We have E85 here on the Mass Pike (Rt.90) - while it's 15 or so cents per gallon cheaper, the loss of mileage from it makes it more expensive than regular gasoline. Why people even buy it there I'll never understand ... but judging from the counter on the pump, which has been there for more than 2 years, the number is miniscule.

Yeah the pricing on the turnpike is absurd. It's just under $3/gal here I think with regular being $3.50-3.60 I think. But I'd never buy it on the turnpike (NY has it at some of their Throughway stations too) as I'm driving long distance and don't want that hit in range.

E85 pricing is all over the map. And it is not always just based on region of the country either. It has a 30 cent spread from one town to the next near me, whereas gas and E10 is usually only a dime difference, if that, from town to town. Fortunately, there is a outlet chain in my area that has made it's life goal to get E85 out to everyone. They were the first and broadest chain to have it at almost all of it's outlets. They have the lowest pricing. Murphy's at Walmart near me started offering it recently, but their price is 30 cents higher only 10 miles away from the other outlet.

Some areas of the country, folks are just not going to see any appreciable reason to use E85 since the price spread doesn't make it worth it. They might fill out of a novelty idea of trying it to see what difference there is, which for most folks, they won't tell any difference. For them, I wouldn't bother buying the stuff. In most cases, the break even point is when E85 is 70-80 cents a gallon cheaper. Right now, near me, the spread is right at the break even point. So right now I am using a mid grade 91 octane E10. The 87 octane E10 is not one of my choices, because it is blended from sub par 83-84 octane "junk gas" with ethanol to make a 87 octane fuel. The 91 is true 87 gas with 10% ethanol. I never use premium, since the pricing is downright criminal, and the E85 is 99 octane anyway.

If you notice performance at all and you have a 14, 5.3 you will run E85 its a gift from GM that's keeps on giving. In most case its cheaper that 93 by a long shot. Even if it was a little more id buy it, its a cheap performance upgrade. High compression engines hate 87 gas.

• 1 month later...