Guess where Chevy sells the most Colorados

Gorehamj

Colorado beach.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
2/11/2015

If you guessed Los Angeles California, you should immediately send your resume to GM. Yes, in a press release this past week GM revealed that L.A. is its biggest market for the new Mid-size truck. GM acted as if this was all part of the plan. Do you think it was? If so, why isn't the Colorado called the "Los Angeles?" GM's Tony Johnson, marketing manager for the Colorado, was quoted as saying in part, “L.A. was a big target for the Colorado, where people can use the utility of a pickup, but don’t necessarily have the space for a full-sized truck."

It is easy to agree with Mr. Johnson's logic, but as a close watcher of this important new truck it is sort of hard not to notice that not a single GM media image of the Colorado is staged in a city-scape environment. What say you?

Colorado beach.jpg

Colorado beach.jpg

Colorado beach.jpg

I have seen A LOT of colorados out here in pa.... Seems like the day they hit the lots they were on the roads. Took a couple months before I started seeing a lot of K2's.

Id assume the sales of these trucks are pretty high... Especially since it won MT's truck of the year... Seems to have a pretty big impact on the regular person.

Emissions is important. = global warming. If the colorado is a medium size truck, whats a small sized truck??

The s10 and ranger were small trucks. GM moved to mid sized with the Colorado/Canyon. Global warming... i dont know what to say without jeopardizing my position here.

Did you get any looks from people?

Matter of fact, I really did not have a chance to look... I was white knuckling it on I10, just trying to stay out of the way of the guy with the BMW 8 Series and the Ferrari...

Emissions is important. = global warming. If the colorado is a medium size truck, whats a small sized truck??

(I know cars a little better so I will use it as an example)

Once upon a time the government decided to make cars get an ave MPG of 22.5, this was actually not done by testing cars on actual MPG, but rather testing the efficiency of an engine and drive train, and calculate the MPG of city and Highway driving based upon weight and the Cd (Coefficient of Drag. It was a bit more convoluted that that, but you get the idea. Now they are taking the wheelbase (width and length) and using that as a means to dictate what the MPG of the car or truck should get. (Thus why wheels are further forward and rearward like the Camaro, it has changed the appearance of cars from the 1950's thru the 1990's in regards to the front and rear proportions.

Now that they calculate expected MPG based upon the size of the wheelbase Width & Length, The trucks got a little bigger in 2007, the camaro got literally huge. The Colorado was dropped, and reintroduced at a slightly larger size, etc...

The S-10/S-15 series of truck was probably no longer "safe" because of it's size, so they do not make a true small truck that was so very popular in the 80's & 90's, they up-sized to the Colorado and Canyon and had marginal success. ( think the size of the vehicle it was better suited for the Trailblazer, Envoy, Bravada, Rainier SUV than the trucks, as I see 10 of those for every old Colorado)

So here comes the new 2015 Colorado, it is slightly larger (because of MPG requirements) and long gone is the gap of a true small truck...

That is my opinion based upon what I understand and have seen.

J

the full size is the greater value, the 20mpg and the 2 ball hitch is 2000 pound versus 3500.

it really is about space, and choice.

I do not miss the little truck. The unibody of an 80s subaru did more work...and that body was a terrifying tin canned.

I was hoping the I-5 would be more mastered, the only excuse for an inline..but i also miss the corvair boxer evolved to liquid.

I'd do either one, mid or large truck, but btu value of v8 heat in the arctic, the scale of my rural place... it is just common sense to go get the big 20mpg.

I tugged a car home the other night, 0F, roads still narrow.. like tugging a toy, Nothing to notice.

it is about space after all.

Archived