Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 returns for 2017

Zane

The weight of the Hellcat to me is just mind boggling. I had a 71 Challenger with a big block (440/4 speed) and the car just weighed under 3500lbs. And this is a car with no aluminum engine parts or any other light weight components. And here in the year 2016 with all the new technology and the almost same car, weighs about 1000lbs more. Go figure. Where the heck does all this extra weight comer from......

Electronics and safety features

Yeah, I guess all those things like the seats, A/C, Audio and safety stuff would add up pretty quick. The only power option I had on my 71 was power brakes, everything else was manual. Even the shaker hood had a manual cable to open it up. That being said, with all the lighter materials they use these days you'd think some of that would compensate for all the extra additions new vehicles have these days.

Yeah, I guess all those things like the seats, A/C, Audio and safety stuff would add up pretty quick. The only power option I had on my 71 was power brakes, everything else was manual. Even the shaker hood had a manual cable to open it up. That being said, with all the lighter materials they use these days you'd think some of that would compensate for all the extra additions new vehicles have these days.

Add in the 10-20 airbags, everything for traction and stability control, the reinforcements made for crumple zones and crash safety.

Add in the 10-20 airbags, everything for traction and stability control, the reinforcements made for crumple zones and crash safety.

I guess that's why you need over 700HP to make the car go fast.

Archived