New OPT7 H11 LED Headlight Bulbs

The DRL function is built into the truck. I would have to disable the DRL function every time I started the truck during daylight hours. You state you don't have DRLs, but I didn't think the 2015s came without them. Did you permanently disable your DRL function or do you turn yours off every time?

This is from the 2015 Silverado owner's manual:

Daytime Running

Lamps (DRL)

DRL can make it easier for others to

see the front of the vehicle during

the day. Fully functional DRL are

required on all vehicles first sold in

Canada.

The DRL system comes on when

the following conditions are met:

. The ignition is on.

. The exterior lamp control is

in AUTO.

. The transmission is not in

P (Park).

. The light sensor determines it is

daytime.

When the DRL system is on, only

the DRL are on. The taillamps,

sidemarker lamps, instrument panel

lights, and other lamps will not

be on.

When it begins to get dark, the

automatic headlamp system

switches from DRL to the

headlamps.

To turn off the DRL, turn the exterior

lamp control to the off position and

then release. For vehicles first sold

in Canada, off will only work when

the vehicle is in P (Park).

My question about these led bulbs working as DRLs is because I would like to use them as my low beams. But because the lows are also used as DRLs, will these bulbs function properly at the lower voltage. If you do indeed have DRLs on your '15, and these bulbs are functioning properly, then that answers my question.

I stand corrected. I just turn my car on and went around to look at the front and I do have daytime running lights. That being said the LEDs run perfectly.

I just finished a 2014 Silverado with 7th Generation no fan Phillps Luxeon 4000 lumen LED headlights. I can tell you first hand that not all brands are the same. We used a relay harness and separate load resistors to prevent the dreaded bulb out and hyper flashing that is very common on both GMC Sierra and Chevy Silverado with the projector style low beam headlight assembly.

The GMC uses the 9012 socket for 2014 and 2015 and possibly from other years. The Silverado uses H11 but regardless of the Bulb type I recommend using the harness. They arent that expensive and when used extremely reliable. I too would hate to get the call from a customer that says the headlights went out. The whole reason for the harness and resistors is that LEDs draw about 25 watts vs the standard halogen that draws the normal 50 plus watts. The computer then thinks the headlight has burnt out and shuts off the power because of the lack of draw. We used the load resistors to trick the computer to think the led headlight was drawing the normal wattage and that worked............for about 15 minutes then the dreaded bulb out error. After that we decided to go for the gusto and we installed the relay harness to the battery, put the load resistors inline with the inputs on the LED Headlights. When its wired you only use the passenger side factory harness, the drivers side is powered by the relay harness.

Success! No more crappy dim light output and so much safer night driving!

This has been our installation on every H11 and 9012 since. With our H11 and 9012 conversion kits we have had very satisfied customers with no failures to date.

On a side note, in this thread I read a question that asked if only projectors used LEDs? I am telling you NO! almost any headlight can be converted to LED with a few exceptions out there.

Also if you have a dust cap on your headlights and you choose to keep them on, I would recommend drilling small heat escape vents into the tops because although LEDs are very efficient they do get warm and yes if they have a fan on them they will just circulate warm air and could cause premature failure.

If anyone has any questions on these conversions please feel free to ask.

Joe

[email protected]

I emailed OPT7 and asked about these lights functioning as DRLs. Here is their response:

Thank you for your interest in our kits. The Led conversion kit due work well with the DRL';s for most vehicles.

However. I see that your vehicle is a Chevy Silverado. We have recently run into issues with the newer Chevy Silverado and the led kit does not work well with the vehicles system even when you place in the capacitors.

Some installations have been successful but I just want to inform you ahead that you might run into issues when you purchase this kit.

If anyone has installed these bulbs and they are also used as DRLs, let us know your results.

Newer Silverados and GMC Sierras that have both the low beam projector and DRL's must use a HID relay harness AND the load resistors. Wire them exactly as you would a HID kit using only the factory harness on the passenger side. The drivers side will be powered by the relay harness. I have done this to several of my customers vehicles and it is a fantastic result for dim factory projectors

Newer Silverados and GMC Sierras that have both the low beam projector and DRL's must use a HID relay harness AND the load resistors. Wire them exactly as you would a HID kit using only the factory harness on the passenger side. The drivers side will be powered by the relay harness. I have done this to several of my customers vehicles and it is a fantastic result for dim factory projectors

I have no idea what you are talking about with a different harness? Mine are working great... I have 55w LEDs and they go from the led, to a ballast, to a polarity switch, to the factory plug. Am I missing something with it? I don't have any check light bulb notification either... They just worked out of the box lol. I will however be drilling those dusk cap holes but doesn't that mean I'll get moisture in the headlight?

I have no idea what you are talking about with a different harness? Mine are working great... I have 55w LEDs and they go from the led, to a ballast, to a polarity switch, to the factory plug. Am I missing something with it? I don't have any check light bulb notification either... They just worked out of the box lol. I will however be drilling those dusk cap holes but doesn't that mean I'll get moisture in the headlight?

different brands are just that different. The LEDs that i used on the customers rig with DRLs did not have a polarity switch and there fore i had to use a hid harness to make certain they stayed on with the DRLs as well as functioning as low beam headlights,

• Like 1

Can anyone who has had a successful conversion please send me a link to the exact relay harness, resistor/capacitor and type of hid/led they used and the wiring diagram??? I am attempting my third try to convert and am still getting no success. I am almost to the point of giving up.

Edited by Scruggs

Can anyone who has had a successful conversion please send me a link to the exact relay harness, resistor/capacitor and type of hid/led they used and the wiring diagram??? I am attempting my third try to convert and am still getting no success. I am almost to the point of giving up.

I just wrote a whole review on it lol these worked plug and play just fine :)

Dang... I read over this forum a hundred times. Idk how I misses that you didnt buy an extra harness or capacitors. I'll try these out. Hopefully it will work.

Haha no worries. So far it all works for me so I'm assuming that it will work for everyone else :) Worst case scenario you can just return them lol. It comes with capacitors that Im sure you can install if you want to but there isn't really a point. I think people were running into problems because they were using lower Watt LEDs.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to get this kit for both my 2015 Sierra SLE and my wife's 2015 Traverse LT.

Does it come with everything including the harness to connect it to the factory harness? On the Amazon link I selected my vehicle and it says it does not fit.

Would this also work in my wife's Traverse?

I want to get this kit for both my 2015 Sierra SLE and my wife's 2015 Traverse LT.

Does it come with everything including the harness to connect it to the factory harness? On the Amazon link I selected my vehicle and it says it does not fit.

Would this also work in my wife's Traverse?

It only fits h11 connectors

Just ordered a set, (got it from newegg as Amazon has sales tax for me) seems to be just what I needed as I don't like the wiring involved with an HID kit install, these shoukd get me the white light using stock wiring.

Now I'm wondering if I should go ahead and swap out the high beams and fog lights with LED's next

I got them installed today, I didnt install the dust caps though, (didnt think they would fit) but now I'm second guessing this decision, have you had any issues with running these with the dust caps on?

And do I need to take my air cleaner box off again? :)

So far they are running fine, my kit had capacitors but I didnt use them, everything seems good, just concerned about condensation forming in my lights without the cap

Edited by awright2009

Okay, just took it apart again to put on the dust caps, they do fit, but you need to have the cap around the headlight before you twist it in. It blocks the back side of the heat sink fan, but I think it might still function from the sides etc. We'll see if they hold up, you can hear the fan a bit while they run, and I'm sure if they got hot it would start to blink or something