2016 Silverado LT - DL8 to DL3 Mirror Conversion - FINALLY Complete&#3

OK question, I currently have a 2016 Sierra SLT and it has the Power heated turn signal and power fold features. If I change over to the tow mirros with same options, I don't think I will have to change the wiring harness will I? Iv seen some after market versions also, lot less than factory with all these options, should be just a plug and play? Anyone know for sure?

This topic is aboot the non row mirror dl8 non power fold non signal mirror swap to dl3 power fold/signal/puddle lamp conversion.

I think you are good if your order the correct power fold switch with the mirrors. Read the first post on the link below then go through the post to verify!

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/164349-201415-hd-powerfold-oem-tow-mirrors-the-ones-weve-been-waiting/page-1

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I didn't see the part numbers for the DL3 mirrors anywhere, just the harnesses and switch. What are the DL3 part numbers? I want to do this on my 2016 Tahoe LT, assuming this is all the same.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/adding-dl3-power-folding-mirrors.74755/

looks to have the part #s and write-up in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much NoTyme!

When I get some time "free time" I am going to see what way will work best for me. I am hoping that my late 2015 build truck already has the wires and pins at the body to door connector *X500*

Then in theory I just have to add the two wires harvested from the DL3 harness for the signal and puddle lamp from connector *X500* pins #3 & 41 that go to connector *X510* pins #1 & 13.

You are correct in adding these 2 wires for puddle and turn onto the DL8 harness set. I'm helping another member that lives close by tomorrow and will be doing this. Don't forget the ground. Since the X500 only has 1 ground connection (pin 2), you'll need to harvest a pin/wire for the X510 and splice into the ground wire. If you unwrap the wire loom, GM does several wire splices into the ground wire that ultimately lands onto pin 2 of the X500 connector.

Edited by pgamboa
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

No Tyme, there are several lengthy threads about adding power folding/signal mirrors. I have my switch on the way. I was wondering, lost among the sprawled out threads did you ever elaborate, preferably with photos, on how to add the additional wires? I'd love to get the signals working as well as the fold feature but am having a tough time sorting through the info floating around.

No Tyme, there are several lengthy threads about adding power folding/signal mirrors. I have my switch on the way. I was wondering, lost among the sprawled out threads did you ever elaborate, preferably with photos, on how to add the additional wires? I'd love to get the signals working as well as the fold feature but am having a tough time sorting through the info floating around.

Sorry, no pics. But the process is fairly simple.

I made the necessary connections on the mirror harness by soldering the wires and covering with shrink tubing. Then with the mirror installed on the door I ran the two wires into some shrink tubing for a little extra protection, but that also that kept them from becoming separated if they were to come in contact with any type of a snag.

To run the wires thru the door jam I pulled the boot from the body side of the cab, compressed the black tubing as if it were a slinky contracting and use a taped covered (on the tip) cloths hanger to enter the door from the jam side, into the door. Once inside the door I attached the wires to the coat hanger and pulled them thru the rubber tubing which gave me the 2 wires I needed for this mod out of the door.

I then used that cloths hanger with the wires already tapped to it, into the body of the truck. Its a process of bending the cloths hanger and "fishing" thru the side of the cab. I put a slight bend in the hanger so it would come out under the dash instead of up into the dash area.

It really sounds harder that doing, but once you have the door apart and you park yourself on a short stool (mine has wheels) it is a simple process. Just takes patience and a beer or two, LOL.

Once the wires are in the dash area the tap process is difficult because of the fact that (for me) working on my back looking up and finding the correct wire to tap. You will have 3 connections, left turn, right turn and your puddle lights. Don't forget to join the two wires on the mirrors harness because the turn had their own ground separate from the mirrors heater or adjust motors ground.

Post # 76 will show you location of the ground needed.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/158727-power-folding-mirror-upgrade/page-6

• Like 1

Once the wires are in the dash area the tap process is difficult because of the fact that (for me) working on my back looking up and finding the correct wire to tap. You will have 3 connections, left turn, right turn and your puddle lights. Don't forget to join the two wires on the mirrors harness because the turn had their own ground separate from the mirrors heater or adjust motors ground.

Post # 76 will show you location of the ground needed.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/158727-power-folding-mirror-upgrade/page-6

Where did you connect your puddle lights under the dash? I unpinned a factory harness and ran everything to their stock location but my puddle lights come on very dim. You can't see that they're on. So I'm wondering if I need to run another wire to hard wire into module or maybe both puddle lights are burned out or something.

Have you checked your voltage on that wire, the power for the puddle lights?

I dig into my notes after I get back today and see if I can pinpoint the location I used. Sometimes just using a test light you can tell, but my thought is that there is something else going on.

I haven't checked the voltage. I'll have to take the door panels apart again to do so. I used pin #3 for the puddles and #41 for the signals. Then on the mirror plug I added pin #1 & #13 and joined pin #7 ground to 11 ground. Before I tore apart the original dl3 harness I plugged it in to see what would happen and turn signals worked but puddles were dim like they are now. I figured since that harness had extra wires it would have something to do with it. I also turned locator light setting on and off and nothing happens.