Towing with new truck

So I just got a 2017 gmc 1500 elevation addition truck that will be used to tow a 4000 boat setup. I'm planning on leaving for a trip next week and only will have around 700 miles on it. Do you see an issue with towing 800 mile round trip mostly highway through some mountains with low mileage. The breakin in says don't tow for first 500 and keep under 50mph. Under towing says first 500 towing keep under 50mph also. I don't see that being realistic. Have been on highway for some short runs (25miles a few times). Last truck f150 never did any of this and never had an issue in 12 years I owned it. It's a 5.3 with 3.42 rear end. Think it has a transmission cooler on it.

Thanks for the info guys

You're likely to get at least a few "go for it!" responses. So, I'll be the opposing voice.

Follow what's in the manual to the best of your ability. Drag the boat around town a few times if you can before you go. Take it to the store or the gas station. You want to keep in mind that you're breaking in all of the various pieces of the truck, including the brakes. Getting them to wear in smoothly in the beginning and seat nicely for your driving style will help them to function well and maximize their life.

When you leave on the trip, don't jump on the highway and set the cruise at 80. Vary your speed, drop below the speed limit now and again, and let the truck "settle in" under you. You may find in the end that you're grateful you took the extra time to better understand how the truck handles with that trailer behind you.

Enjoy the trip and be careful.

I'd say vary your speed/ rpm on your trip.

I have broke in my last several vehicles varying the rpm and they have been great!

My 1994' I never broke in with higher rpms, only varied speed and every time I pulled my trailer i would be in drive instead of overdrive and it would use oil on those trips only....... All my newer ones, I can drop a gear, or 2 pulling my trailers and I don't use a drop.

Let's do the math:

Per your statements,

Manual reads: don't tow for first 500 and keep under 50mph

Truck will have: around 700 miles on it

So 700-500= 200

Therefore, you will have 200 miles beyond what the manual suggest waiting before towing. That means you can tow your boat and move on to bigger issues in your life.

the aluminum from brand new....gotta go easy.

there is a micro carbon layer that makes the engine.

aluminum cannot do hard fire, it needs a miracle.

my dads 2016 is finally at 5700 miles.

Just yesterday when no one was around us, I took it to the 98 limiter.

first longer highway trip..about 480 miles round trip.

it is a different truck from idle on upward today. A confident thumpy ready feeling.

The cold start was ambitious, bigger.

I built subaru engines random for 20 years.. not surprised to see the same curve into a real engine on the gm alloys.

they take MUCH longer than new iron to know you are there to load the hell out of it.

it is a different truck from idle on upward today. A confident thumpy ready feeling.

I built subaru engines random for 20 years.. not surprised to see the same curve into a real engine on the gm alloys.

they take MUCH longer than new iron to know you are there to load the hell out of it.

What?

• 1 month later...

All of the aluminum engines I've ever heard of had cylinders sleeved with steel or have I heard wrong?

IMO all engine blocks including small engines if not cast blocks have a cast iron sleeve. Aluminum cylinders wouldn't last. :happysad:

IMO all engine blocks including small engines if not cast blocks have a cast iron sleeve. Aluminum cylinders wouldn't last. :happysad:

That's my impression, too.

Archived