I have a 2015 GMC Yukon with condensation in the right and left front headlight assemblies. My turn indicator stopped working which usually indicates a burned out bulb. I did not notice the condensation and I took my Yukon to the dealership for what I thought was going to be a simple bulb replacement. The headlight assemblies are completely sealed which requires the replacement of the complete lamp assembly if a bulb filament burns out. The dealership told me the bulb malfunction is likely caused by the condensation. Since my visit to the dealership yesterday, the turn indicator has worked intermittently. A call back to the dealership with the update and the response was that the condensation likely caused corrosion and still needed to be replaced. They advised me the other headlight was likely to malfunction as well. It is obviously an ongoing issue since the technical service bulletin was modified to include 2016-17 models. GMs technical service bulletin notes that if certain conditions are noted (such as in my case), the replacement of the lamp assembly may not correct this condition. The condensation covers the entire lens. I live in Florida and there is little temperature differential and we have mid to high humidity most of the time. The dealership quoted me $1256 for parts and labor to replace the headlight assembly PER SIDE.

post-174121-0-09987500-1498148941.jpg

post-174121-0-74968800-1498148941_thumb.jpg

Tech Service Bulletin.pdf

There does seem to be an issue with headlight assemblies.

The housings are not "completely" sealed. Yes, you can replace the high and low beam bulbs (unless you have the HID's, looks like you don't). They would need to replace the entire assembly if a part or all of the LED running lights burn out.

That said-

Remove the bulbs from the housings and park it in the hot sun somewhere (or use a blow dryer) to let the moisture escape and dry the housing out. When you go to remove the bulbs, you will first have to remove a cap, with a 1/4 twist. The cap has an o-ring on it, make sure it's intact, no nicks or tears. This is what SHOULD be keeping moisture out, ha!

This happened on my wife's Camry. Actually, no visible moisture but over time the projector lense developed a haze. The only cure was to replace the complete housing assemblies (on my dime, warranty was up). Ours will probably develop a haze as well. Let's hope to nail this down soon...

(On some forums, some were actually separating the Camry headlight assemblies by cooking them in the oven, at low temps, for a few minutes, to clean the lense. I tried it on the old headlights after I swapped them for new, it was a huge mess with the sealant and stuff.)

Edited by dbbd1
  • Like 1

After thinking about this more, I began wondering...

In the TSB, it specifically mentions people trying to get warranty on aftermarket headlight assemblies THAT HAD MOISTURE IN THEM.

Either GM buys their assemblies from the same place as the aftermarket companies do (quite possibly) or EVERYONE, with these style of assemblies is having the exact same problem.

Hhhmmmm...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Same thing happening with our 2015 Tahoe.  Apparently the extended warranty states that it is not a defect even though neither headlight or turning signal works.  About to go ballistic with Chevy and warranty company as I'm being told it will be $2,000.00 to replace!

Edited by Mark Deal
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

So our 2015 Tahoe has the same issue.  Dealer quoted $1200 to replace ONE STUPID headlight.  Turn signal won't work - giving inop error.  Dealer sold me extended warranty last time I visited and this time said it's not covered.  Go figure!  Dealer says the part is $800!  I found it on gmparts site for $450.  WTH.  NEVER buying another Chevy vehicle! POS!

On 7/20/2018 at 2:53 PM, Mark Deal said:

Same thing happening with our 2015 Tahoe.  Apparently the extended warranty states that it is not a defect even though neither headlight or turning signal works.  About to go ballistic with Chevy and warranty company as I'm being told it will be $2,000.00 to replace!

What ended up happening?  I'm in the same boat - PO'd!!!!

25 minutes ago, Mark Deal said:

We fought with the dealership we purchased it from used and they basically did the work at cost because nobody would cover it.  GM still says it is not a defect!  My last GM vehicle, I can assure you.

Freakin' unreal!  Thanks for the reply.  I think i'm going to get an F-150 crew cab instead as we pull a travel trailer once in awhile and F-150 seems to be a work horse when it comes to pulling.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Hate Work said:

Hmmmm. All these "New Member" posts criticizing GMs. I wonder how much they are being paid. Probably as much as the MSM sites pay their posters.....

lol I feel i'm paid pretty competitively but certainly not to come on here and post (would be nice though.)

BTW the latest is i've sent a complaint to GM customer "care" and they called and told me someone would be in contact with me, and then they somehow magically started calling the wrong number and even after I gave the correct number, called and re-iterated the same wrong number in another e-mail yet again.  Feels like i'm talking to a robot.  Now they aren't trying to call anymore so I'm guessing they probably closed my case due to their multiple mistakes and lack of care.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I happened up on this thread because we began experiencing the exact same issue of condensation in the headlight of our 2015 Suburban.  I haven't taken it in for repair yet but it would be unbelievable that GM would not own up to this.  With so many experiencing this, it has to be a defect...

Edited by shedgree
  • Like 1

I too have a 2015 Tahoe LTZ model. My drl was the 1st thing to go due to condensation. Couple months later the turn signal started to fail... Extended warranty told me it was not a cover able defect.. I was also quoted a price of $1200 to fix.. GM has reallly let there customers down with this problem.. Never spending 60k with GM again..

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a 2015 Yukon.  Same issue with DRL on the passenger side.  Dealer told me condensation and $1200 to fix.  I ordered the part from carparts.com and paid $650 plus shipping and tax....took it to a mechanic to install, he charged me $200.  SAME THING IS HAPPENING with the NEW HEADLIGHT assembly SO CLEARLY that isn't the issue and now I'm out $937 and still doesn't work.  WHAT A POS...I will never by GMC or American again which is a darn shame.  

• Like 1