DIY Oil Change Question

Did my first oil change on the truck today. 2016 2500hd 6.0.

Firstly, damn thing sits about 1.5" too low to comfortably creep around underneath. My wrangler really spoiled me the last ten years.  Another reason to level the truck I guess lol.

Anyway, the oil filter was a pain in the ass with the way it is recessed into the oil pan.  Normally I hand tighten the filter on but with this truck I had to use the filter wrench.  Anyway I'm a stickler for spec's.  Anyone have their manual handy or know what the torque spec is for the  oil filter?  I'm really paranoid I did not install it properly.  

Thanks in advance

I just use the longer oil filter.. makes removing it easier as it sits closer to the depth of the oil pan.  Wix 57045, EAO17 Amsoil or PF63 Delco.  The instructions for tightness are included usually on the canister which is usually1/2 to 3/4 turn after contact.  

I don't know if torque specs really matter. On my first oil change I almost had to use a breaker bar to get the filter off. Whoever the gorilla is at the plant that puts those on, really cranks them down!

1 hour ago, steelcity said:

I don't know if torque specs really matter. On my first oil change I almost had to use a breaker bar to get the filter off. Whoever the gorilla is at the plant that puts those on, really cranks them down!

Lots report that problem.

Maybe also because they didn't smear a little oil on the gasket?

I've sometimes found that ones I installed seem to have 'gotten tighter' :P, but never seem to be as bad as removing the factory filter.

Haven't yet decided if I'm going to use the 'included' oil changes.  They weren't part of the program when I last purchased a new HD....I did use the included ones on the 1500's.

4 hours ago, redwngr said:

Lots report that problem.

Maybe also because they didn't smear a little oil on the gasket?

I've sometimes found that ones I installed seem to have 'gotten tighter' :P, but never seem to be as bad as removing the factory filter.

Haven't yet decided if I'm going to use the 'included' oil changes.  They weren't part of the program when I last purchased a new HD....I did use the included ones on the 1500's.

Up until '86, the assembly plants were req'd to 'dress' the oil filters. I seem to recall the 2WD C/K trucks got the shorter filter while the 4WDs, the longer. One of our duties in the tool room was adding a 3/8" drive socket to the typical oil filter socket. The operator would install the filter w/ an air tool.

The dealer performed only one of the included oil changes on my 6.0. The put 8 qts of 0w20 and a pf63 filter.  They were chewed out pretty good for that fumble. I drained the oil and added 6 qts of 5w30 and left the filter until the next oil change. They must have used loctite on the filter threads. The filter was so tight  it was destroyed getting it off I  even had to use an air chisel on the edge to remove it. Completely ridiculous. Safe to say not ever going there again.  I do my own changes now pf48 or equivalent... use an oil filter strap type wrench...tighten enough to not leak.  

I just run my 2500 up on a couple of HD Rhino ramps for plenty of clearance to change oil, lube front end, etc.   I have been changing oil since the 60's and have never "torqued" a filter.  Heck, I don't even torque diff cover bolts.  Guess I have just been doing this sort of thing for so long I just go by feel.  Never had an issue.  Just simple 3/4 turn after contact.  Same on everything from my cars on up thru my commercial class 8 trucks.   I do ditch the factory drain plug at the first oil change and replace it with a Fumoto drain valve.  Makes things much nicer.

I also am running the longer 63 filter, had problems on the '16 work truck regular cab oil filters, the oil filter land on the work truck must not have been machined flat, had to crank down any brand filter hard for no leaks. Have also bought and will install the Fumoto oil valve on the next oil change. 

1 hour ago, 4x4Pete said:

The dealer performed only one of the included oil changes on my 6.0. The put 8 qts of 0w20 and a pf63 filter.  They were chewed out pretty good for that fumble. I drained the oil and added 6 qts of 5w30 and left the filter until the next oil change. They must have used loctite on the filter threads. The filter was so tight  it was destroyed getting it off I  even had to use an air chisel on the edge to remove it. Completely ridiculous. Safe to say not ever going there again.  I do my own changes now pf48 or equivalent... use an oil filter strap type wrench...tighten enough to not leak.  

Clearly the 'oil changer' didn't know 6.2 and 6.0 weren't the same!   

Did the paperwork they give you indicate what was used? 

Archived