Still love your 2014/2015 Silverado?

45 minutes ago, tnchevy said:

Bought my 14 brand new in 14 and I really like it but I do not "love" it.  To this day I still miss my 2002 silverado and still feel like it was a better truck.  I don't dislike my 14 enough to get rid of it and will probably keep it for 6 or more years( only drive 5k miles a year).  The truck has tons of power but the transmission is goofy and the electronics in mine like to just quit working with out reason.  Again, these are good trucks but not the cream of the crop IMO.

I know what you mean, I miss my 06 silvy sometimes,had that truck for 9 and a half years. Only thing I ever done to it was a front hub assembly and front break pads. I do feel like that truck was built a little better.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sala0288

As Grumpy Bear said, more maintenance, more miles , simple.

IMO, either put money into maintenance or another truck when this one needs replaced as it seems you did on the last one.

I would do every service or replace all wear items.

All fluids, filters, brake check, spark plugs etc.

When done you have a fresh start to continue the maintenance as miles pile up.

:)

I love my 2014. It has 55450 on it as of this morning. I do get a 3-2 downshift clunk every now and again but honestly it only happens if I am driving the truck a little faster and slowing down harder than I need to be (late to go somewhere, etc). It drives great, I do not have the "chevy shake", it has been in for the recalls and oil changes. I also had the leaf spring pop that I fixed myself. Overall I have been really happy with it, the truck can get me where I need to go with some "style". 

Should I worry about frame rust?  Been reading a lot about that recently but I thought I saw in the TSB from 2014 ish that the rust shouldn't affect the longevity?  I obviously have some frame rust given the vehicle is 4 years or so old.  Would I need to scuff it off then paint over then seal with a wax or something?  

I wouldn't worry about it but others on here will disagree.  Keep it clean during the winter months the best you can.  You can scrub off the rust and repaint if you want but remember you will only be able to get to the parts you can access, the rest can only be reached by taking the body off the frame.  I've owned my last 2 trucks for 10+ years and countless work trucks that all have had surface rust on the frame.  My 2016 Ford work truck frame is covered in surface rust so was the 2012 Ford I had before.

On 4/9/2018 at 5:29 AM, sala0288 said:

As the title says, anybody still love their 2015 or 2015 silverado?  I recently purchased a 2014 V6 4wd, used with 70k miles, 1 owner - clean carfax/autofax - seemed to be well maintained. 

After I bought it, I read all about the bad stuff that can happen, luckily my truck so far drives smooth (maybe minor vibration around 85 mph but I rarely drive that fast) and no flair shifting.  Does have a mild engine tick noise but nothing major, AC still works.  

So naturally my anxiety kicks in after reading some stuff on this forum so really just wondering if anybody out there has one that they still really like?  So far mine is great, and hoping it stays that way.  My previous truck was an 04 colorado, base model - stick shift, roll down windows, no auto locks no nothing.  Bought it for 8500 out the door with 85k miles on it back in 2010.  It lasted me 8 years with little maintenance and recently died.  Hoping this truck will last me as long but when you read up on them its all doom and gloom as far as GM trucks go.  But I am sure that ford/dodge etc... all have their fair share of problems too.  And as with any used vehicle, you're always taking a risk, I get that.  

Anybody willing to share their thoughts?  And if this is a repeat I apologize, new to the forums.  

Thanks, 

Zach  

I make sure my vehicles are well maintained.  Any dings, scratches or stains are promptly removed.  My salesman bought my '00 when I traded it in on my '09!  When I purchase a new truck, I tend to purchase an updated version of my previous truck; not because my old one is worn out but for the updates.  Many people care for their vehicles and don't simply unload their problems.  I'm confident you found the former kind!  The most impressive improvement in the 14+ GM's is their fuel economy.  You'll probably find little difference coming from an older base Colorado.  You gained a much larger, more comfortable truck and probably as fuel efficient! 

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

I make sure my vehicles are well maintained.  Any dings, scratches or stains are promptly removed.  My salesman bought my '00 when I traded it in on my '09!  When I purchase a new truck, I tend to purchase an updated version of my previous truck; not because my old one is worn out but for the updates.  Many people care for their vehicles and don't simply unload their problems.  I'm confident you found the former kind!  The most impressive improvement in the 14+ GM's is their fuel economy.  You'll probably find little difference coming from an older base Colorado.  You gained a much larger, more comfortable truck and probably as fuel efficient! 

Interesting you say that Donstar, I haven't had a full tank through it yet, but my old colorado used to get eh, 18-20 maybe - it was the 4 cylinder version.  Now this one per the dash display says only 16 MPG thus far, now its been all city driving but still, I thought I would have done better than that!  Maybe its because I haven't done any highway yet, or maybe because I need to calculate on my own.  Who knows. 

And I am noticing occasional goofiness with the transmission (likely d/t the V4 mode) but it could also be me being hypersensitive to every little thing.  She rides great otherwise.  

Thanks for the reply 

The mpg's for my 14 are nearly the same as my 02 model.  I keep detailed spreadsheets on mpg's for all my vehicles including my motorcycles and 3.5 years my 14 is at 19.1 mpg lifetime hand calculated and my 02 after 12 years was at 18.8 mpg's.  The mpg's on my 14 have actually decreased every year since I bought it which is different than my 02 where it increased over the first few years and then flattened out.  

29 minutes ago, tnchevy said:

The mpg's for my 14 are nearly the same as my 02 model.  I keep detailed spreadsheets on mpg's for all my vehicles including my motorcycles and 3.5 years my 14 is at 19.1 mpg lifetime hand calculated and my 02 after 12 years was at 18.8 mpg's.  The mpg's on my 14 have actually decreased every year since I bought it which is different than my 02 where it increased over the first few years and then flattened out.  

I am not trying to bring up a huge debate on it but do you think this could be the Direct Injection engines and the carbon deposits? Would a BMW walnut shell blast to clean up the deposits be a good maintenance item to be considered at 100,000 miles possibly? Maybe make it a list item for every 30,50,75K miles depending on how "on top of it" you wanted to be? 

Bought my '15 when it was 6 months old w/ 1682 miles.  43k on it now in 23 months, and other than the occasional odd transmission shift, I still love my truck!

Have a 14 Sierra with the 5.3.... thing runs like new still.

Now a buddy of mine, his company truck was a 14 V6 crew cab 4x4.... and he hated it. No power.... and what you mentioned... the transmission did all kinds of weird things.... flare... bang into gear... shift when it wasnt supposed to... ect ect.

1 hour ago, AlljackedupZ71 said:

Have a 14 Sierra with the 5.3.... thing runs like new still.

Now a buddy of mine, his company truck was a 14 V6 crew cab 4x4.... and he hated it. No power.... and what you mentioned... the transmission did all kinds of weird things.... flare... bang into gear... shift when it wasnt supposed to... ect ect.

Huh, that's interesting - wonder why some of these trucks are so hit or miss.  Or maybe that's with all cars/trucks?

I have a 14 Silverado High Country 6.2 with a little over 130k miles. Runs and drives fantastic. Few performance mods (intake, headers, exhaust, black bear tune) I changed all my fluids ( both diffs, transfer case, tranny filter & fluid, coolant, spark plugs and wires, cabin filter) around 113-115k miles. I put morimoto hid kit in with led fog lights, some people thought the stock light out put was terrible. Only thing I had an issue with was the radiator crack . I replaced the radiator and thermostat for around $300 ( Chevy wanted $1200). Mpgs around town are 14ish, but that's because of my right foot ?. On the interstate cruise set at 85 I  average 22-24 mpg. I do have the v4 mode tuned off. I absolutely love this pickup and have no plans on getting rid of it, just more mods in the future. I'm not a fan of the 16-18 front ends on the Chevy, and don't like the 19's Chevy or GMC from the pictures I've seen.

Archived