Cracks in front wheel wells - please identify these parts?

My Chevy Suburban 2001 has survived over 265K miles. We are keeping it for at least another 4 years if not longer. Recently replaced transmission (by AAA certified repair shop) in April, then alternator (by dealer service dept) in May. Nothing else significant for a few years. This week discovered these cracks in upper wheel well area, they have grown rapidly, and now showing red coloring. Can someone identify the system and parts please? Passenger side photo shows the top of the tire as reference, and includes a part number. Going to Chevy service tomorrow, wanted to have a clue first.

20180822_125036.jpg

20180822_125002.jpg

Those are the heat shields for the exhaust manifolds. I would NOT touch them. If ANYONE tries to take out the manifold bolts, you will have some break off in the head, and then you are looking at some real money, and new better bolts and new manifolds.  If they rattle, remove them.

Broken exhaust bolts means about 2K at a dealership IF they will do the work. Pass side  is tough..

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Formulabruce said:

Those are the heat shields for the exhaust manifolds. I would NOT touch them. If ANYONE tries to take out the manifold bolts, you will have some break off in the head, and then you are looking at some real money, and new better bolts and new manifolds.  If they rattle, remove them.

Broken exhaust bolts means about 2K at a dealership IF they will do the work. Pass side  is tough..

Ditto what Formulabruce said.  They will eventually go through enough heat/cool cycles that they will rot around the bolts and a few back and forth movements with them and they'll pop right off.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yep those bolts just hold the heat shield on. Most of mine came out ok but if they break it’s not the end of the world. You really only need 2 bolts to hold them on. And if all of them break you can just run without a heat shield, lots of people do and it doesn’t hurt anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk