38 minutes ago, Hillwood said:

Where are the shavings coming from?.. Nobody really knows..  If it runs good don't worry about it.. If you can't let it go then drain the oil into a container and save it.. Start the engine and wait for it to lock up.. Dump oil back in.. Tow to dealer and get the new engine you want.. 

And you don’t think GM is savvy enough to piece together the timeline that shows the engine running with very low oil level AND no oil pressure yet now it has good clean oil at the full level.  (BTW, I do engine failure analysis for a living for a major independent engine manufacturer so I know a thing or two about this process.)

OP, follow the advice quoted above and you’re setting yourself up for the purchase of a new engine on YOUR dime!  BTW, this is also fraudulent activity and could be prosecuted - especially now that it’s been discussed in a public conversation that you were part of.

Edited by ksiesel
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

16 Silverado 5.3, metal shavings on dipstick for a year now, many pictures taken. Same as pictures on this thread. Brought to two different Chevy dealers over the last 10k miles, both did oil changes and cut filters and showed me, no shavings. I saved the oil and filter first time. 35k on it now. Runs fine. I bought new with 3 miles on it. I recently discovered that I pull the dipstick, wipe off shavings and just put in 1/4 of the way or partially where it wouldn’t touch oil, pull it and there they are metal shavings. Appears small shavings are in the dipstick tube. Note I only have shavings sometimes, not every time I pull. Do I risk the dealer messing with and replacing the dipstick tube? If a small shaving or two did happen fall off dipstick magnetic end or fall in from tube it would be prefilter, it appears. 

1 hour ago, brianj752 said:

16 Silverado 5.3, metal shavings on dipstick for a year now, many pictures taken. Same as pictures on this thread. Brought to two different Chevy dealers over the last 10k miles, both did oil changes and cut filters and showed me, no shavings. I saved the oil and filter first time. 35k on it now. Runs fine. I bought new with 3 miles on it. I recently discovered that I pull the dipstick, wipe off shavings and just put in 1/4 of the way or partially where it wouldn’t touch oil, pull it and there they are metal shavings. Appears small shavings are in the dipstick tube. Note I only have shavings sometimes, not every time I pull. Do I risk the dealer messing with and replacing the dipstick tube? If a small shaving or two did happen fall off dipstick magnetic end or fall in from tube it would be prefilter, it appears. 

To see if it is affecting your engine at all, take an oil sample and send it off and see how the engine is doing.  You can use Blackstone LabsOil Analyzers, or Dysonanalysis.  I use Dysonanalysis.  I like the fact that he sends you a PDF of the report and a .wav file as well that you can listen to as he explains every line on the report.  Very personable.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2019 at 9:32 AM, Chris.Green said:

I sent in an oil sample test to CAT and AMSOIL and they both came back clean. The pickup now has 30k miles on it and runs great. Haven't heard or felt any problems. I just decided that I'm going to take it in to my GM dealer once a year and ask them to look at the same problem. Hoping that they will give me a different answer. I'm bringing it in again this month. But my power train warranty is past the 3 year mark now so fingers crossed.

If you have a 2015 you’re aware that your power train warranty is five years/100,000 miles right?  2015 was the last year.