Rear window leak

Demon

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that it is possible to financially get out of the truck.

I bought a ‘20 LT TB back in January ... rear window started leaking in February and was fixed per TSB.  In August, started leaking again.  Instead of going back to the dealer, I started emailing Ram/Toyota/Ford dealers and was able to make a deal for a new Ram Big Horn Night Edition.  Very comparable to the TB minus the “off road” features.  My TB was a lease with 5k miles on the odometer.  The payoff was $43k and the Ram dealer gave me $45k.

I realize some people have brand loyalty, but if you aren’t and don’t feel like dealing with trips to the dealer or gambling on your state’s lemon law, you can get out of the truck and not be upside down.

36 minutes ago, Back in Black AT4 said:

Still no leak here on my 2020 AT4 (Feb 2020 build date) and I've been blasting it weekly with the pressure washer when washing the truck...

From my 18 months of experience... it’s not the high pressure or density water applications that cause leaking. Instead, it’s the slow, consistent soaker scenarios. (Eg a light 2 hour rain fall), etc. 

YMMV. 

• Like 2

On 9/27/2020 at 11:54 PM, econometrics said:

From my 18 months of experience... it’s not the high pressure or density water applications that cause leaking. Instead, it’s the slow, consistent soaker scenarios. (Eg a light 2 hour rain fall), etc. 

YMMV. 

Yup, I ditto this.  That's my experience as well.  

Edited by SilveradoRST
Grammar
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, econometrics said:

YMMV. 

this exactly!

• Like 1

I was thinking of adding the rear slider to my 2020 LT Trail Boss,but after reading through all of this I’m glad mine didn’t come with the rear slider...What a bunch of bullshit!!!! 40 plus K for our trucks and we have to deal with this bullshit??GM obviously knows about the issue and could give 2 ******...They really need to get there ****** together and fix every single one of these trucks that are having the leak problem...Totally unacceptable 

I started a similar thread in the 2020HD forum before I realized how common of a problem is. This is my latest.

So today was the day my truck went in to get the second replacement window installed. They informed me they found a gap in the top bead of sealant that was from the last install. Rather than replace the window as planned to correct the flaw they dropped the headliner and pulled the spoiler. They put a thick bead of sealant along the top just like they did in the first repair attempt. Best part is they ran it though their car wash to leak test it and they crushed my passenger side mirror. Truck now needs whole new mirror. 

Edited by Pate Services
Spelling

2 hours ago, Pate Services said:

I started a similar thread in the 2020HD forum before I realized how common of a problem is. This is my latest.

So today was the day my truck went in to get the second replacement window installed. They informed me they found a gap in the top bead of sealant that was from the last install. Rather than replace the window as planned to correct the flaw they dropped the headliner and pulled the spoiler. They put a thick bead of sealant along the top just like they did in the first repair attempt. Best part is they ran it though their car wash to leak test it and they crushed my passenger side mirror. Truck now needs whole new mirror. 

This is (unfortunately) exactly why I stopped taking mine to the dealer, even though I still have a slight leak. It’s just not worth the hassle and dealing with these noodle-brained halfwits. 

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 4:49 PM, econometrics said:

Sorry you've had this crappy experience, like the rest of us have. 

I've just learned to live with my leaking rear. I took it in the first time, had the sealant applied, and it seemed to slow the occurrence of the leaks. After reading stories just like yours - where owners keep bringing their trucks in over and over for more "fixes", I just decided to put a towel between my rear window and my seat, forget about leak and move on. I can honestly say I barely think about it anymore, and I enjoy the truck again. The best part has been staying away from days/weeks messing with this at my dealer - with no end in sight. 

Probably not the best, but I've moved into the "acceptance" stage of grief. ? 

I would be careful with this approach. I too had towels behind the seats from the second day of owning it, and spent 4 months looking for the leak to run off the side of the slider track. However, my first leak was in the far corner of the window and if I had not looked back there with a flashlight diagonally, I would have never seen it. It was behind the trim coving the rear seat belt. A towel won't fit back there without removing the trim. Just FYI. Watch back there, too.

• Like 1

Ok I hope I do not jinx myself, I have a 2020 GMC Sierra SLT 3400 miles with back slider window E9, Truck was made in Mexico build date 1/20, I have used the slider window many times, I looked for hair line cracks and did not find any, Also removed the rear seat belt cover and inspected, I went out a little while ago and soaked the window for a good 5 min and inspected again and no leaks, would it be possible I got one that may not leak or is it inevitable it will leak? Jus wundering if I should pull the spoiler and do the bead of seal across the top...  I would jus thought that all these trucks sold that if all leaked there would be a recall or class action suit... Thanks for your replies in advance....

Edited by Donnie Summers