Rear window leak

Demon

1300 miles, and the first steady rain since I got my 20 AT4, and now there's water.

Driver's side, right at the end of the slider track. 

Given what seems like a complete inability to have this resolved at the dealer, combined with insane truck prices right now, I may just dump it and run. Can't believe I am saying that as I really love this truck in so many ways. 60k for something that I have to wonder when the mildew smell will start every time it rains, (or soon with snow melting on it) is not something I'm willing to deal with, though.....

Has anyone actually gone the solid window replacement yet? 

Do we know if it would just leak inside that if it's a spoiler, bolt, or body panel issue? 

I'd even spend the 400-500 at a Safelite like place to just have it replaced and be done with it.... if i thought that would end it...

A simple self-test to determine if the spoiler or the window is why these leaks are occurring would be to use tape to temporarily seal up the spoiler gap and the third brake light. I’m certain most today’s dealership mechanics are trained to do what they are told or can read from their diagnostic machines and investing time to investigate is not $$ in their pocket. I don’t believe a window water leak from rain would soak the headliner that water must be trickling from higher up.

It’d be cool if we started posting a general area of where the truck lives and maybe driving habits? I’m trying to understand what is causing the leak and why it happens sooner or later on some trucks. Daily temperature swings? Rough roads? Frequent off-roading on rough dirt roads (haha I know I know, no one leaves the pavement with these trucks).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, paui4m said:

1300 miles, and the first steady rain since I got my 20 AT4, and now there's water.

Given what seems like a complete inability to have this resolved at the dealer, combined with insane truck prices right now, I may just dump it and run. Can't believe I am saying that as I really love this truck in so many ways. 60k for something that I have to wonder when the mildew smell will start every time it rains, (or soon with snow melting on it) is not something I'm willing to deal with, though.....

Do we know if it would just leak inside that if it's a spoiler, bolt, or body panel issue? 

I'd even spend the 400-500 at a Safelite like place to just have it replaced and be done with it.... if i thought that would end it...

I feel your pain. My Trail Boss has been at the dealer now for 2 weeks because of this issue. The truck has 2400 miles on it and  I took delivery of the thing the first week of september. From what I’ve heard is the solid rear windows don’t have the issue of leaking. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jav_eee said:

It’d be cool if we started posting a general area of where the truck lives and maybe driving habits? I’m trying to understand what is causing the leak and why it happens sooner or later on some trucks. Daily temperature swings? Rough roads? Frequent off-roading on rough dirt roads (haha I know I know, no one leaves the pavement with these trucks).

There’s really no causation that is determinable here. There have been probably 100 of us posting leaks on this thread alone. We all live in different climates and drive these trucks in every way imaginable. The bottom line is the thing will leak. No matter where you live or how you drive. It’s a spoiler/window defect that only GM can fix, but has chosen to “band aid” for 3 years now instead. 

2 hours ago, Jp77 said:

I feel your pain. My Trail Boss has been at the dealer now for 2 weeks because of this issue. The truck has 2400 miles on it and  I took delivery of the thing the first week of september. From what I’ve heard is the solid rear windows don’t have the issue of leaking. 

This is why I stopped caring / taking mine to the inept dealer(s). I actually like driving my truck. Lol 

I’ve owned it since March 2019, and I first noticed the leak one year ago. It has rained a lot in TX since then. I just keep a towel above my rear seat to catch the water dripping from the slider rail. I have not had one scent of mildew at all, nor a wet headliner or carpet. YMMV

4 hours ago, paui4m said:

One of the guys who got a buyback for his leaker had his new truck leak. He took it to a glass shop and he said it didn’t leak again after that. So that’s a possibility for you. $500 is a good price considering the dealer with just yank you around without your truck for 2-3 weeks and not even get it fixed. 

There’s really no causation that is determinable here. There have been probably 100 of us posting leaks on this thread alone. We all live in different climates and drive these trucks in every way imaginable. The bottom line is the thing will leak. No matter where you live or how you drive. It’s a spoiler/window defect that only GM can fix, but has chosen to “band aid” for 3 years now instead. 

Hard to find the cause without all the data. ;) Again, some leak right away, some take thousands of miles. There HAS to be something there as to why that happens.

4 hours ago, Jav_eee said:

Hard to find the cause without all the data. ? Again, some leak right away, some take thousands of miles. There HAS to be something there as to why that happens.

The only data we have is to read this thread, then reread it, and then reread it again. GM is not being honest with what the issue is.

• Thanks 1

Mine has not been driven hard at all. It's parked outside. 

It was a warm summer for PA and VERY dry. 

I haven't 'flexed' the truck, or really done anything that should have caused anything to break.

It's done a couple interstate trips and a few dirt roads to hunting camp.

As others have stated, it took a soaking extended rain for it to show up.

We've had harder rains, but they were much shorter.

Thanks for the feedback from everyone. The solid glass is on my radar.

It's also encouraging having a towel back there for quite a while now has been sufficient too. I'm glad yours hasn't started to smell or anything. I had an older Wrangler that leaked a lot and it got to a point where it just smelled musty..... and I sold it....

• Like 1

Add another to the list.  2020 RST purchased in March.  10k miles.  Build date 01/20 in Mexico.  Noticed dried water streaks a few weeks back when I was cleaning windows.  Haven't had any rain until Sunday night and yesterday.  Checked it and sure enough, it is leaking on the driver's side and the headliner is wet.  Calling the dealer today.

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the "cabin pop"?  I've heard several in here mention that the leak has been due to a crack in the frame of the sliding window.  I have had the cabin "pop" once since owning the truck and it was loud enough going down the highway to startle myself and my dog that was sleeping in the back seat.  I have done ZERO off-roading or anything to put the truck in a significant flex/bind.  I wonder if this cabin pop was the frame cracking, and now as a result, the rear window is leaking?

54 minutes ago, JWOutdoors29 said:

I've wondered about this correlation as well. 

However, as someone stated a few posts back, it seems weird the headliner would be wet unless the frame goes up higher than we think. 

If you do, please let us know what the dealer says. I'm still contemplating whether I want mine ripped apart until there's a more clear cause/resolution.... 

54 minutes ago, JWOutdoors29 said:

Add another to the list.  2020 RST purchased in March.  10k miles.  Build date 01/20 in Mexico.  Noticed dried water streaks a few weeks back when I was cleaning windows.  Haven't had any rain until Sunday night and yesterday.  Checked it and sure enough, it is leaking on the driver's side and the headliner is wet.  Calling the dealer today.

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the "cabin pop"?  I've heard several in here mention that the leak has been due to a crack in the frame of the sliding window.  I have had the cabin "pop" once since owning the truck and it was loud enough going down the highway to startle myself and my dog that was sleeping in the back seat.  I have done ZERO off-roading or anything to put the truck in a significant flex/bind.  I wonder if this cabin pop was the frame cracking, and now as a result, the rear window is leaking?

You can add me to the list of leakers.  I suspect mine has been leaking from day one.  20' LT crew cab with the slider built in Mexico.  I believe it has a late 19' build date.  Mine is leaking from the bottom of the top track on the passenger side, no wet headliner.  For now I have a small towel as well to catch the water.  I'm lucky I live in a dry climate but I'm worried about this winter and the snow.

Are you talking about the truck frame or the window frame? If the truck frame is cracked you'll have bigger problems than a leaking window.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, Transient said:

Are you talking about the truck frame or the window frame? If the truck frame is cracked you'll have bigger problems than a leaking window.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Window frame is what I'm referencing.  If the truck frame were cracked after 10k miles of highway driving only, they better be replacing with a brand new truck!