Rear window leak

Demon

Well folks it's been 10 months since I had my rear window replaced on my 2020 trail boss, you know after also having my 2019 bought back by gm for the rear window leak. I must say I was a legend on this rear window leak forum early on. People at the grocery store would stop me all the time and ask me if I was the rear window leak guy they saw on the internet. Well okay not really.

Happy to report still bone dry. It's actually to the point where I don't check it every time it rains anymore. So now that I 100% jinxed myself just wanted everyone to know there is hope that maybe you'll be good after a replacement by a proper glass shop.

All in all I'm pretty happy with my truck and would probably buy it again even knowing I might have to replace the window. Just not in black though. THAT was the stupidest decision I ever made.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Donnie Summers said:

Ok I hope I do not jinx myself, I have a 2020 GMC Sierra SLT 3400 miles with back slider window E9, Truck was made in Mexico build date 1/20, I have used the slider window many times, I looked for hair line cracks and did not find any, I went out a little while ago and soaked the window for a good 5 min and inspected again and no leaks, would it be possible I got one that may not leak or is it inevitable it will leak? Jus wundering if I should pull the spoiler and do the bead of seal across the top...  I would jus thought that all these trucks sold that if all leaked there would be a recall or class action suit... Thanks for your replies in advance....

I would NOT caulk it in advance. You’re removing any recourse if it leaks in the future and perhaps inviting more potential leaks having the spoiler off and back on. The worst part of this deal is having to have the truck taken half apart when it leaks, no need to do it yourself no reason.

Theres no guarantees yours will or won’t leak. Being a 2020, it’s less likely to. I would say monitor it, but don’t lose sleep over it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ShamrockShooter said:

Well folks it's been 10 months since I had my rear window replaced on my 2020 trail boss, you know after also having my 2019 bought back by gm for the rear window leak. I must say I was a legend on this rear window leak forum early on. People at the grocery store would stop me all the time and ask me if I was the rear window leak guy they saw on the internet. Well okay not really.

Happy to report still bone dry. It's actually to the point where I don't check it every time it rains anymore. So now that I 100% jinxed myself just wanted everyone to know there is hope that maybe you'll be good after a replacement by a proper glass shop.

All in all I'm pretty happy with my truck and would probably buy it again even knowing I might have to replace the window. Just not in black though. THAT was the stupidest decision I ever made.

That's cool Bro, Hey do you happen to know if yur glass on the 2020 was an E4 or E9 and the build date? And could you share what the class company did to prevent your window from leaking? I still do not have a leak but preventive maintenance would keep me from inspecting it everytime it gets wet... Thanks man...

Ha You were replying as I was posting... 

Edited by Donnie Summers

That's cool Bro, Hey do you happen to know if yur glass on the 2020 was an E4 or E9 and the build date? And could you share what the class company did to prevent your window from leaking? I still do not have a leak but preventive maintenance would keep me from inspecting it everytime it gets wet... Thanks man...
Ha You were replying as I was posting... 
My window was replaced with a fuayo window of the same model number that came on my truck that leaked. The dealer had a local glass company do the install. I fully expect it to leak at some point. I carry two cans of flex seal and a tube of silicone windshield caulk in my glove box for any roadside leak repairs

3 hours ago, Donnie Summers said:

Ok I hope I do not jinx myself, I have a 2020 GMC Sierra SLT 3400 miles with back slider window E9, Truck was made in Mexico build date 1/20, I have used the slider window many times, I looked for hair line cracks and did not find any, Also removed the rear seat belt cover and inspected, I went out a little while ago and soaked the window for a good 5 min and inspected again and no leaks, would it be possible I got one that may not leak or is it inevitable it will leak? Jus wundering if I should pull the spoiler and do the bead of seal across the top...  I would jus thought that all these trucks sold that if all leaked there would be a recall or class action suit... Thanks for your replies in advance....

I don’t think mine leaked until around 7000 miles, and about 8 months of ownership. No idea why some leak sooner than later. 

Honestly, it’s just a matter of time until yours leaks. Hopefully it won’t, but the odds are not in your favor. 

• Sad 1

Now that it's finally "Post-Summer" (what we call "Fall" here in TX), I'm using my rear slider nearly every day. I love it. Sucks I have to endure the leaking, but as I've mentioned above... I'm just accepting it and ignoring it mostly, while I enjoy the nice airflow through the cabin with the rear window open. 

• Like 1

I just took my truck through the automatic car wash... I looked back at the rear window, at the end of the frame above the rear passenger headrest, and she was just a leaking like a slow drip, Chinese torture. ??‍♂️ ?  

Maybe it is, indeed, time to bring it back to the dealer and let them "repair" it... 

giphy.gif

? Nope. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Duramaxsky said:

I really wish mine didn't have the rear slider. It's a stupid option anyway. Useless

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

IDK, The moon roof and slider makes a good combo on a really nice day....

• Like 3

19 hours ago, ShamrockShooter said:

My window was replaced with a fuayo window of the same model number that came on my truck that leaked. The dealer had a local glass company do the install. I fully expect it to leak at some point. I carry two cans of flex seal and a tube of silicone windshield caulk in my glove box for any roadside leak repairs

Just curious how you would use the flex seal?  Would you spray it along the top seam between the spoiler and the cab?

I agree. Just those 2 alone feels amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would not have ordered the moon roof either. But it has it. If I want the top down thing I will drive this. It's only on the trailer to see if it would load without scraping and if the door would open with the fender down. It did.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

83183fc1ace4680e40fb3d40a81246dc.jpg315b9f69d0cd76b2f6b22f710a328cbe.jpg

So....I sprayed my truck off at the car wash today, just like I've done a half a dozen times before, but today I noticed when drying it off that there were water drops on the inside upper right corner (driver's side) of the rear window. 

I had previously read about every page of this colossal thread and have been crossing my fingers and praying it wouldn't happen to me.  Mind you It was minor but as leaks go I've never seen one get better in time. 

Frankly I don't think I am prepared to go through the hassle of repairing this as so many of you have shared on this thread.  The re-calking of the window from the outside sounds like a nightmare...and from the pictures it looks like it too! 

Further, to add insult to injury the potential damage to the interior from sloppy techs sounds even less appealing.

Up to now I've loved this new truck and take care of it accordingly, this is very disappointing !

Damn!!

Edited by Spyderwebb