Another 2016 Silverado LT Z71 paint chip thread

Bought the truck used with a few paint chips I was ok with this summer since I travel a fair amount of gravel for outdoor activities. Just came back from a car wash and the rear fenders look terrible. Live in the cold north and I don't have a heated garage. 

Any recommendations? Can I use a touch up paint kit in the cold garage? 0-30F or use a heater/heat gun to heat up the area first? I don't think it'll work worth a damn because if the temperature changes. 

What would a body shop charge? 

I'm pretty bummed out after seeing this many chips pop up. I don't see any rust anywhere on the body but feeling like that's going to be coming fast :( any ideas or recommendations?

IMG_20181230_151840.jpg

IMG_20181230_151825.jpg

How would you fix the rock guard chips? 

I have the mechanical ability and would get tools as needed, but don't have steady hands for small painting details.

Also I don't have a heated garage and it'll be below freezing for the next few months. 

Edited by Rockiron1

15 minutes ago, Rockiron1 said:

I'm mostly worried about the rust off I don't do anything through winter

Well if you don't have a heated garage to work on it now, just keep  it clean and applying wax/sealant through the winter.

I use DR Color Chip repair kits to keep the stone chips covered.  I've used it in 40 degree temps with no issue.  I will probably be trying it in sub 30 degree temps soon.  They sell a kit to cover broad areas of multiple chips.

On one of my previous trucks, I took it to a shop that specialized in chip repairs where the front of the hood was covered with many tiny chips.  They made it virtually like new for a fraction of the cost of a body shop.  I think some dealerships now offer chip repairs although I don't know if they do it in-house or send it out.

Edited by dougwtx

4 hours ago, reardiff said:

I have found splash guards and side steps tend to keep rock chips down quite a bit.  Also the more aggressive tire you have the more rocks it will pick up and toss out..

I drive slow on gravel too. Will probably get some splash guards but don't like the look of running boards. I've driven older 80s/90s trucks workout either on gravel for decades which look better than this truck after two years.

5 hours ago, Rockiron1 said:

I drive slow on gravel too. Will probably get some splash guards but don't like the look of running boards. I've driven older 80s/90s trucks workout either on gravel for decades which look better than this truck after two years.

I hear ya man. It sucks. Thanks EPA with your bullcrap no oil based paint nonsense

18 hours ago, dougwtx said:

I use DR Color Chip repair kits to keep the stone chips covered.  I've used it in 40 degree temps with no issue.  I will probably be trying it in sub 30 degree temps soon.  They sell a kit to cover broad areas of multiple chips.

On one of my previous trucks, I took it to a shop that specialized in chip repairs where the front of the hood was covered with many tiny chips.  They made it virtually like new for a fraction of the cost of a body shop.  I think some dealerships now offer chip repairs although I don't know if they do it in-house or send it out.

I think I'll be buying a polishing wheel, some good sand paper, and good tools for it. Not sure how to fix the rock guard areas though. I'm assuming I'll need to take the fender off to do a good job since a vertical surface on truck will be hard to do well

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2018 at 12:31 PM, Rockiron1 said:

I think I'll be buying a polishing wheel, some good sand paper, and good tools for it. Not sure how to fix the rock guard areas though. I'm assuming I'll need to take the fender off to do a good job since a vertical surface on truck will be hard to do well

I'm a painter,  I wouldn't recommend taking this on by yourself if u are planning to sand and repaint it, unless u have some help from someone with experience.  If this was me and I didnt wanna repaint it I would touch up the rock chips with base, and then have some clear bra installed over top to provide a moisture barrier. Then just wait until something happens and u can file an insurance claim to have it repaired properly... hint hint... sand damage , wind damage... these are covered under comprehensive and can include up to a complete paint job to repair rock chips caused by heavy wind and sand. 

1 hour ago, Mikegriff01 said:

I'm a painter,  I wouldn't recommend taking this on by yourself if u are planning to sand and repaint it, unless u have some help from someone with experience.  If this was me and I didnt wanna repaint it I would touch up the rock chips with base, and then have some clear bra installed over top to provide a moisture barrier. Then just wait until something happens and u can file an insurance claim to have it repaired properly... hint hint... sand damage , wind damage... these are covered under comprehensive and can include up to a complete paint job to repair rock chips caused by heavy wind and sand. 

I will have to check my insurance, but we'll see. I've talked to a number of guys again and a touch up, then a clear vinyl over the areas might be my best bet.