Anyone lost brakes besides me.

If you have PIT 5728B PLEASE go back to your/a dealership and have them re-scan it for error codes after driving it for a few days.

I have been following this thread for a while now and figured I would chime in. I experienced brake failure in my 2019 LT Trail Boss on 1/10/20 at 12,575 miles in heavy traffic. I had luckily just slowed down to about 10-15 MPH when they failed and was able to make it over to the shoulder to coast to a stop. If I had the failure 20 seconds earlier I almost certainly would have been involved in a fatal car accident as the car ahead of me was at a dead stop. The dealership "fixed" the issue the following Monday but wanted to take it for a test drive the next day because people were still experiencing failures after the "fix" which was to replace the vacuum pump. They had a brake failure on the test drive. The next step was to wait for a new brake module and reprogram, which they did with PIT 5728B. I informed the dealer I was not comfortable driving the vehicle nor did I have any trust in this "fix". I asked what would happen when they fail again since they have now provided at least 6 different remedies for this serious issue. They pretty much just shrugged their shoulders and sent me on my way. If you have PIT 5728B PLEASE go back to your/a dealership and have them re-scan it for error codes after driving it for a few days. I went to a different dealership today because I have been having a variety of concerning issues with the brakes and the dealership I purchased the vehicle at was blowing this off as if it's not a serious issue. They scanned my vehicle and found a brake malfunction error code as well as two others. Unfortunately, I did not get a print out of those errors. They cleared the errors only to have 4 others appear which I will attach to this post. The dealer said I have the the absolute most recent fix but they were unable to reprogram the brake module and weren't sure what to do. My truck does not have the new GM recall #: N192268091 that was released on 1/30/20. They are stumped and will be contacting GM on my behalf and what to do with the truck. I already have a case open but, GM has ignored me after my initial conversation with a senior advisor requesting a buy back or swap. She sends me emails stating she tried to contact me yet I never have a voicemail or missed call from her while I have tried numerous times to contact her by phone and left voicemails that she please leave a voicemail if I do not answer so I know she truly attempted to contact me. I refuse to let GM push this brake failure under the rug. They are putting our lives in danger as well as everyone else on the roadway that does not even own a Silverado or Denali.

20200201_163442.jpg

Screenshot_20200201-172935_Phone.jpg

Screenshot_20200131-200805_Phone.jpg

Screenshot_20200131-200751_Phone.jpg

20200201_173738.jpg

20200201_174146.jpg

Edited by Forrest_E

Sorry for the extensive posts and photos but, here is some background info that leads me to believe GM truly does not know how to fix this and issues I have experienced with PIT 5728B.

I have never used the MyChevrolet app to auto start my truck. Most of you experiencing the brake failure have and that was the reason GM gave for the failure. I have used the FOB a handful of times.

Another reason they gave was the brake re-calibration. I had my brakes re-calibrated to read properly back in September of 2019 at 3,079 Miles. My brake failure occurred 4 months later at 12,575 Miles. Seems unlikely that, that would be the cause of the brake failure.

After I received the TSB PIT 5728B, I started to have a tapping feeling against my foot coming through the brake pedal when I would stop. The only other time this has happened to me was when my brake failure occurred on 1/10/20 and in my 2010 Silverado when the ABS needed to be serviced.

My radio screen now cycles through dim, medium, and bright simultaneously at random while I drive (no, it's not because a difference in lighting outside is hitting the sensor causing the brightness to change).

When I come to a slow, very gradual stop my brakes give like the ABS is kicking in. They then re-apply and cause me to come to a jerking stop, but hey at least I'm stopping. This all occurs within a second but, I fear at one point they will not re-apply.

This next event has only happened to me once now but I am curious if it has happened to anyone else. I was stopped at a stop sign and all of the sudden I heard a low rumbling coming from the rear of my truck and the entire thing started to shake. I released my foot off the brake pedal and it stopped. It has not re-occurred.

20200201_175448.jpg

20200201_175917.jpg

13 hours ago, lebag335 said:

Might check and make sure your battery cables are tight. 

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked this morning since they had also performed the battery cable recall and the cables and wire harnesses were all tight.

• Like 1

So, interesting development for me. My brakes went out same as everyone else. Ive had all the software updates (including jan 16) that were supposed to resolve the issues. Last weekend I got a check engine light for a few days and then it went off. Went to the dealer and the diagnosis was loss of communication with brake control module. Not sure of the exact code but you could find it in other forums. Dealer said the last software update was supposed to fix this issue as well, so now they want to take it in and give me a loner until its figured out. Thankfully Ive been getting good customer service along the way, but this is continuing to be a problem. Based on all the info in these posts, it seems to come down to faulty parts combined with software that is causing the issue although no explanation for some having the issue and others do not. Interesting as well, is that I had my master cylinder replaced which is supposed to fix the faulty part concern, and the latest software was supposed to fix the software issue. So my dealer is stumped. Additionally, I talked with GM customer service, who explained some of the same issues others mentioned about remote start/application remote start being a root cause. When I pushed on how widespread the issue is, the agent explained that it may be limited to certain models manufactured in USA vs Mexico, although he dint say which was experiencing the issue. This was the first I heard and didn't realize that nearly every variant of Silverado (LT, trail boss etc) can come from either US or Mexico. In my case, my VIN starts with 3 which is supposed to indicate Mexico factory assembly (USA assembly VINs start with 1). So if what the agent is saying is true, then this issue may be isolated to those models assembled in Mexico and could be some type of assembly defect? So anyone else out there heard this? Is this only effecting those of us with vehicles assembled in Mexico (VIN starts with 3?)

1 hour ago, bobboberton1 said:

So, interesting development for me. My brakes went out same as everyone else. Ive had all the software updates (including jan 16) that were supposed to resolve the issues. Last weekend I got a check engine light for a few days and then it went off. Went to the dealer and the diagnosis was loss of communication with brake control module. Not sure of the exact code but you could find it in other forums. Dealer said the last software update was supposed to fix this issue as well, so now they want to take it in and give me a loner until its figured out. Thankfully Ive been getting good customer service along the way, but this is continuing to be a problem. Based on all the info in these posts, it seems to come down to faulty parts combined with software that is causing the issue although no explanation for some having the issue and others do not. Interesting as well, is that I had my master cylinder replaced which is supposed to fix the faulty part concern, and the latest software was supposed to fix the software issue. So my dealer is stumped. Additionally, I talked with GM customer service, who explained some of the same issues others mentioned about remote start/application remote start being a root cause. When I pushed on how widespread the issue is, the agent explained that it may be limited to certain models manufactured in USA vs Mexico, although he dint say which was experiencing the issue. This was the first I heard and didn't realize that nearly every variant of Silverado (LT, trail boss etc) can come from either US or Mexico. In my case, my VIN starts with 3 which is supposed to indicate Mexico factory assembly (USA assembly VINs start with 1). So if what the agent is saying is true, then this issue may be isolated to those models assembled in Mexico and could be some type of assembly defect? So anyone else out there heard this? Is this only effecting those of us with vehicles assembled in Mexico (VIN starts with 3?)

Mine was one of the first reported to GM that was affected here is my Vin 

1GCRYDED0KZ220367

They started the investigation and have scanned the black box now it’s a hurry up and wait and hope I don’t crash

This statement really hits the nail on the head

The safety experts said GM's ability to find a way to fix the problem happened in a relatively efficient time frame, but the lack of transparency GM had with customers about the risk in the interim remains troubling.

"It's the brakes," said Levine. "There is never an excuse by a manufacturer for mitigating a brake defect, but in this case they could have easily notified every consumer about this problem over the device that caused the problem, OnStar."

Kane said even if GM was not yet certain of the cause, complaints about brakes not functioning is a serious enough issue that a stop-drive notice should have been put in place.

"These are all new vehicles that are equipped with OnStar," said Kane. "So there is an easy way to communicate that to owners besides letters

Funny but not funny only recall letter i have gotten was for the seatbelt tensioner back in eairly December. Checking my vin myself i have a total of 4 outstanding recalls, appointment for tommorow.

no issues with just under 20k so far see what happens after the recalls

I had the brake recall done after my 2019 Silverado lost its Brakes entirely on Jan 2 and went off the road, narrowly averting a collision with oncoming eastbound traffic. (TOTAL SYSTEM BRAKE FAILURE, MAX SPEED 62 MPH). I've had the car back a week or so, but back it goes tomorrow. This time, the parking assist system has gone insane. The camera comes on while I'm driving (>20mph), and the power assist button does not come on (most of the time) when I push the button. or go off when it's on and I push the button to turn it off. I'm getting butt-buzzed constantly for no reason at all. This is the 5th trip to the dealership for this new 2019 truck. The truck is an absolute, total disappointment in every possible way, but nothing disappoints more then what has developed into a terrible, bumpy, oscillating, vibrating rough ride. All trucks feel bumps, but this one vibrates. Maybe it's just the frame structure, I don't know but I absolutely hate it. Hate it. Hate it. Last month I had the temperature control knobs replaced- didn't work. Turn the heat up, temps don't change. Called the dealership- they said you can change the temp, off the info screen. ok. thanks for that. My tailgate wouldn't click shut. Sorry, can't list them all. My favorite one though and I promise I'm done- the gear shifter hangs like a loose noodle. They said it's within "tolerance". It's real loose, about 2" play. But they said it's fine, just fine.

3 hours ago, ct_corey said:

This statement really hits the nail on the head

The safety experts said GM's ability to find a way to fix the problem happened in a relatively efficient time frame, but the lack of transparency GM had with customers about the risk in the interim remains troubling.

"It's the brakes," said Levine. "There is never an excuse by a manufacturer for mitigating a brake defect, but in this case they could have easily notified every consumer about this problem over the device that caused the problem, OnStar."

Kane said even if GM was not yet certain of the cause, complaints about brakes not functioning is a serious enough issue that a stop-drive notice should have been put in place.

"These are all new vehicles that are equipped with OnStar," said Kane. "So there is an easy way to communicate that to owners besides letters

Yes! THIS! When it happened to me, I was shocked and felt like this ISN’T a “oh let’s recall because there’s an issue where climate control might not heat to desired temperature?!?!” It’s the BRAKES! And it wasn’t a matter of the brakes *may* become less responsive.... my brakes would NOT stop my pick up unless I rolled to almost a stop, kept pumping them through the floorboard, and I couldn’t tell if they ever worked to STOP me or I’d just coasted off road to the stop. I didn’t set back out on the road to test them! I was scared and got out of traffic immediately, turned it off and called my dealership service department who sent a tow truck immediately. 
I haven’t looked to see when the recall I was told about was issued but I purchased this pick up August/September and no one mentioned it to me. I wasn’t notified of the recall. It’s the BRAKES.... I will say this, if I had been on the highway going 55 mph there is no way I could have used the brakes in the event I needed to slow down, avoid an accident, avoid anything running out in front of me. For me personally, had I known there were any past brake issues or recalls on the brake system, components anything “BRAKES” on this model, year, make I wouldn’t have purchased it... fix or no fix. My dealership had it “fixed” and ready for me to pick it up 24 hours later but when I called them that morning to ask what is wrong with it? I was told it hadn’t been looked at yet, there are other appointments before you, we’ll let you know when we are done. So, I was still stuck in town without a rig. In other words, I felt it was no big deal to them that I had just had this traumatic incident while driving where my BRAKES STOPPED WORKING and warning messages lit up The screen. Hopefully this issue gets resolved so no one else has to sit overnight worried about what could have happened, what is wrong with my NEW pick up?! I don’t feel comfortable driving it now. Why? I had zero idea there may be a problem with brakes, I could possibly handle a problem/recall on other components like heater stops, AC stops, seats don’t move but BRAKES?!!

ugh I’m just pissed off. But thanks everyone again for your help in getting me some answers  Susie

Bottom line here... it’s like a game of ping pong. Hitting back and forth the dates of recalls, the specific models, where manufactured, which came first the module? The software? Updates? On Star? VIN numbers? For me personally as a new pick up owner my worry is... they said it’s fixed now but is it? So many variables and explanations but how did this happen?! So widespread. I’m not a mechanic and have zero knowledge or know how. I just know I was on my way to pick up my grandson from pre-school. I shudder to think if I had done so and how close Highway is to school I jumped on it before I felt the brakes go bad. Just fix this before a tragedy occurs. No, I’m not being a bit dramatic. I’m done ranting (sorry). Other than this issue, I love this pickup. I’m satisfied with the service I received after. But I’m still worried about driving it and every time I turn it off I worry if it will happen again. Susie