Need Tuner Advice

Ok so I've installed the Airaid MIT, AEM dry high flow filter, and Borla muffler.  Now I need a tune to bring all this together.  I'd love to pay a custom shop to do this professionally, but unfortunately I can't find one near me, which is weird because I live in the freakin racing capitol of the world.  I'm looking for a very basic tune.  My primary concerns are MPG's, turn off V4, and account for the 33" tires I put on.  If I can gain a bit of performance from this tune, awesome, but that is not my primary concern.  Anyhow, I've seen a ton of tuners out there from the cheap "plug in and leave" type, to the full blown $500 tuners.  So what is everyone's opinion on getting a tune?  Is it really all the hype others make it out to be, is it worth it, and is it really necessary with the mods I've done?  Will the cheap "plug in and leave" type suffice, or are they junk?  Are the $500 tuners worth it, and if so, are they easy enough from a beginner to use (I'm a beginner but I'm also very tech savy)....OR, should I just keep looking for a pro shop to do it for me?  Thanks fellas!

I did pretty much all the same mods as you have and lastly did a custom tune. Other than sound. the most bang for my buck was the custom Diablew tune.
Now, there's probably many good option out there, but I'm quite happy with the tune I got and would do it again.
If you're looking to have a Ferrari after the tune, it's not going to happen. But you'll get a noticeable difference in your day to day drive with a $500 investment. Most noticeable for me was the throttle response. I have a 2017 so I couldn't do anything with the tranny. Most ppl say it's night and day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

So from what I'm seeing, do these tuners have to stay plugged in even if you get a custom tune?  I know that sounds like a dumb question, but I guess I assumed that they just hooked up a laptop, tweeked a few things, unplugged, and off you go.

Without starting a new thread and looking for the same info here's what I have looked at so far. I've no need for the monitoring display. All I want to do is tune the truck, scan and clear error codes, and makes changes like speedo calibration, AFM on/off, etc. 

1.) Diablo Predator2 Platinum - This one seems to be the most bang for the buck. Will do everything I want to do at a reasonable price of $334.95.

https://www.diablosport.com/shop/predator-2-platinum-for-gm-gas-truck-and-suv.html

2.) BlackBear EFILive AutoCal - Does everything and more. But it's $599.00 and it actually does more than I need.

http://store.blackbearperformance.com/EFILive-AutoCal-Tuning-System_p_8.html

3.) Bully Dog  BDX this statement "This Product does not support any changes to your vehicle’s emission system." pretty much ended that. $399.00

4.) Bully Dog GT Gas - Doesn't look like it will read and clear error codes. I may be wrong.$429.00 But I gotta give BD kudos for their pricing.

https://www.bullydog.com

5.) HP Tuners MPV12 - Needs a laptop to to anything. And this does a lot more than I need or want but I don't think it does code scanning/clearing. Plus you have to but "credits" at 50 bucks a pop to do anything with it. That could run into some serious cash. Basic tuner is $299.99 plus whatever credits you would need. In my case I would need 2 so 299.99 plus 49.99 (2) =399.97

https://www.hptuners.com/mpvi2/

6.) SCT X4 from Unleashed Tuning - Seems to do everything. Has built in WiFi and real time on screen monitoring. Comes with one custom tune and room for 10. $399.99

http://www.unleashedtuning.com/sct-x4-gm-power-flash-programmer/

7.) EFI Live Autocal from 5 Star Tuning - Seems to do it all and comes with 1 preloaded "custom" tunes. Additional tunes are $10.00 This one seems , to me, the most interesting. $449.95

https://5startuning.com/product/2014-2021-silveradosierra-5-3l-efi-live-autocal-choice-5-star-tuning-custom-tunes/

And that just scratches the surface. Hopefully others will come on here and add more info since I'm sure there are things I've overlooked. 

eta: I am going with the 5 Star Tuning. They're only about 60 miles from me and I have an appt. Friday for a  custom tuning and tuner.

Edited by richamor

1 hour ago, tim5779 said:

So from what I'm seeing, do these tuners have to stay plugged in even if you get a custom tune?  I know that sounds like a dumb question, but I guess I assumed that they just hooked up a laptop, tweeked a few things, unplugged, and off you go.

There are some that stay plugged in but most are units that you plug into the port, then upload/download the tune and then unplug.

I have a similar set up as you, Airaid MIT, Flowmaster muffler.  I have a custom Diablew tune.  I used to run the factory Diablo canned tunes but the custom tune is much better.  MPG went up, throttle response is better as well as trans shifts.  Since you are just looking to turn of AFM/DoD, get better mileage and recalibrate speedo, I would think most of the basic handheld tuners would be fine.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, dougwtx said:

There are some that stay plugged in but most are units that you plug into the port, then upload/download the tune and then unplug.

I have a similar set up as you, Airaid MIT, Flowmaster muffler.  I have a custom Diablew tune.  I used to run the factory Diablo canned tunes but the custom tune is much better.  MPG went up, throttle response is better as well as trans shifts.  Since you are just looking to turn of AFM/DoD, get better mileage and recalibrate speedo, I would think most of the basic handheld tuners would be fine.

1 hour ago, richamor said:

Without starting a new thread and looking for the same info here's what I have looked at so far. I've no need for the monitoring display. All I want to do is tune the truck, scan and clear error codes, and makes changes like speedo calibration, AFM on/off, etc. 

1.) Diablo Predator2 Platinum - This one seems to be the most bang for the buck. Will do everything I want to do at a reasonable price of $334.95.

https://www.diablosport.com/shop/predator-2-platinum-for-gm-gas-truck-and-suv.html

2.) BlackBear EFILive AutoCal - Does everything and more. But it's $599.00 and it actually does more than I need.

http://store.blackbearperformance.com/EFILive-AutoCal-Tuning-System_p_8.html

3.) Bully Dog  BDX this statement "This Product does not support any changes to your vehicle’s emission system." pretty much ended that. $399.00

4.) Bully Dog GT Gas - Doesn't look like it will read and clear error codes. I may be wrong.$429.00 But I gotta give BD kudos for their pricing.

https://www.bullydog.com

5.) HP Tuners MPV12 - Needs a laptop to to anything. And this does a lot more than I need or want but I don't think it does code scanning/clearing. Plus you have to but "credits" at 50 bucks a pop to do anything with it. That could run into some serious cash. Basic tuner is $299.99 plus whatever credits you would need. In my case I would need 2 so 299.99 plus 49.99 (2) =399.97

https://www.hptuners.com/mpvi2/

6.) SCT X4 from Unleashed Tuning - Seems to do everything. Has built in WiFi and real time on screen monitoring. Comes with one custom tune and room for 10. $399.99

http://www.unleashedtuning.com/sct-x4-gm-power-flash-programmer/

7.) EFI Live Autocal from 5 Star Tuning - Seems to do it all and comes with 1 preloaded "custom" tunes. Additional tunes are $10.00 This one seems , to me, the most interesting. $449.95

https://5startuning.com/product/2014-2021-silveradosierra-5-3l-efi-live-autocal-choice-5-star-tuning-custom-tunes/

And that just scratches the surface. Hopefully others will come on here and add more info since I'm sure there are things I've overlooked. 

eta: I am going with the 5 Star Tuning. They're only about 60 miles from me and I have an appt. Friday for a  custom tuning and tuner.

Damn dude, nice info!  Thanks!  I'll look in to the Diablo Predator2 Platinum.  So this is the style that you plug in, upload your tune, and unplug...correct?  I'm not digging the thought of having to keep one of these things plugged in and mounted somewhere inside the truck.

The Diablo units do not stay plugged in.  If you think at some point, you may want a custom tune, then I would get the iTune if you are looking at the Diablo units.  I don't think the Predator model will allow custom tunes.

ETA, below post says the Predator2 Platinum can store custom tunes.

Edited by dougwtx
  • Thanks 1

thankx tim. as you can see I've been looking for a "best" solution for me and my truck. Most of the units I listed do not stay plugged in. 

and doug.....from the Diablo website:

"The Predator 2 Platinum comes preloaded with powerful tuning and also features custom tuning capability via DiabloSports nationwide network of CMR custom tuners."

• Like 1

FYI I have not found an OTS tune that is good. I've gone custom before in my Tahoe and Subaru. Best things ever...until things break like transmissions, rear ends and then my wallet. Local tuners are best.

I had a little bit of a tune journey if you care to read.

I have a 2015 5.3L  Airaid Intake (full one not MIT), Gibson dual sport exhaust, 33"s

I started out with an Edge CTS2 Evo, I loved having the screen to see temps as I tow my race car about 2-3 times a month. It does come with "canned" tunes. But most importantly for me, I wanted AFM turned off. Which this did. There level of tunes were (on every tune you can have AFM on or off and a couple other things) 1) Stock 2) Trans Only 3) Tow 4) Street  5) Performance 91+

I actually tested all 5 and oddly enough stock with STOCK with AFM turned off. All others performed very irregularly with shift points. Some made horrible jerking motions and just felt horrible to drive.

So, I had that for about 1 year, no problems. Then started reading into how much a "real" tune does to these trucks so I looked into it further.

I work thankfully at a company who deals with 5 STAR TUNING, so naturally i gravitated towards them for assistance. They advised to me to sell my Edge and purchase their SCT BDX tuner with their 3 custom tunes.

I made my money back on the Edge and purchased their offer.

I have an 89 Eco, 89 Performance/Tow and a 91 Performance ( which I am currently on)

And I am not BSing you its a insane difference on the drive ability of the truck the shift points are in their perfect spots for normal driving, Im always in the right gear based on speed. Am I a Ferrari? Hell no,  Is it a slow truck? Hell no!  Perfect for what I am doing for my everyday needs. 

This is just my .02 I can't speak if a Diablo canned tune is good or not, or even Diablew. I just know my setup is perfect for me and I thank the guys at 5 Star Tuning for changing this truck.

9 minutes ago, mitchely03 said:

I had a little bit of a tune journey if you care to read.

I have a 2015 5.3L  Airaid Intake (full one not MIT), Gibson dual sport exhaust, 33"s

I started out with an Edge CTS2 Evo, I loved having the screen to see temps as I tow my race car about 2-3 times a month. It does come with "canned" tunes. But most importantly for me, I wanted AFM turned off. Which this did. There level of tunes were (on every tune you can have AFM on or off and a couple other things) 1) Stock 2) Trans Only 3) Tow 4) Street  5) Performance 91+

I actually tested all 5 and oddly enough stock with STOCK with AFM turned off. All others performed very irregularly with shift points. Some made horrible jerking motions and just felt horrible to drive.

So, I had that for about 1 year, no problems. Then started reading into how much a "real" tune does to these trucks so I looked into it further.

I work thankfully at a company who deals with 5 STAR TUNING, so naturally i gravitated towards them for assistance. They advised to me to sell my Edge and purchase their SCT BDX tuner with their 3 custom tunes.

I made my money back on the Edge and purchased their offer.

I have an 89 Eco, 89 Performance/Tow and a 91 Performance ( which I am currently on)

And I am not BSing you its a insane difference on the drive ability of the truck the shift points are in their perfect spots for normal driving, Im always in the right gear based on speed. Am I a Ferrari? Hell no,  Is it a slow truck? Hell no!  Perfect for what I am doing for my everyday needs. 

This is just my .02 I can't speak if a Diablo canned tune is good or not, or even Diablew. I just know my setup is perfect for me and I thank the guys at 5 Star Tuning for changing this truck.

I actually already purchased the https://www.diablosport.com/shop/predator-2-platinum-for-gm-gas-truck-and-suv.html  that Rich mentioned above.  From what I read on their website, I THINK it does pretty much everything you mentioned.  I too am interested in the 89 octane tune, so I'll load it up and let you know what comes of it.  I also need to re-cal for larger tires, turn off AFM, and accommodate my Airaid MIT and Borla muffler, which it says all those are pre-loaded options.  On their website it does say they do custom tuning.  From what I gather, you tell them exactly what you've done, they create a custom tune, send it to you via email, and you upload it to your tuner, so it can then be uploaded to the truck.  I'm sure there's a fee involved, but like you, I'll check the pre-loaded tunes first, and see where that gets me.  In the meantime, feel free to check out the spec sheet for this tuner, and let me know what you think.