Thinking about doing an intake, exhaust, and tune to my new-to-me 2017 Sierra 1500 5.3L 8 speed. I miss the throttle response my 2013 6.2L had, it would lurch forward at the slightest tap of the gas. I also want to hear the engine, its so quiet!

Cold air intakes seem to be disputed for having any performance gains, so are they really worth the $$$ in terms of better air flow? healthier engine? sound? any words of wisdom? Your $0.02 is always appreciated!

I'm looking at the Magnaflow 15267 catback as it seems to sound pretty good for what I'm going for. I've read that there is a flap in the factory exhaust system that creates back pressure for AFM shift into V4 mode. I do like V4 mode and would not want to go away with it. How can a catback system integrate this feature? Also, what would be the rough performance improvements if any from a catback exhaust? Any other options that would sound similar and perform better/keep V4 mode for around the same price as Mgnaflow (~$800)?

As for the tune, I know ZERO about tuning but do want to get rid of the rev limiter, speed limiter, get some performance gains without having to put midgrade or premium fuel in. How does the tuning process work? about how much do they cost? how can it be adjusted in the future? I assume anything like this would void some sort of warranty?

Anyone do something similar and can attest to their experience with an intake, tune, exhaust?

You are going get people telling you cold air kits do nothing even though there is proof to the contrary out there, you know how the internet is. I have a Cold Air Inductions kit and really like it but there are others out there that are cheaper. The exhaust is a different story. The only cat-back system I have heard of that retains the flapper is from Borla. I have read that the v4 mode does not show much improvement in mileage over V8 mode if you drive like you have common sense. If you want to retain the flap, I would just upgrade the muffler (Magnaflow, Borla, Flowmaster) and remove the resonator. You can get a handheld tuner to make modest improvements, which sounds like what you are looking for, as well as read and clear DTCs, disable AFM, adjust speedo for bigger tires and such. If you decide you want more, Intune and others offer mail order tunes for handhelds or companies like Black bear will build a custom mail-order tune for a little more. You also can get dyno tuned, which in my opinion is overkill for basic bolt on mods but you do you. It really all depends on how much you want to spend.

Now someone will post here telling you not to waist your money because it is all BS and it does nothing. Although it is nice to know people care about how you spend your money.

1 hour ago, pavementprincess17 said:

Cold air intakes seem to be disputed for having any performance gains, so are they really worth the $$$ in terms of better air flow? healthier engine? sound? any words of wisdom? Your $0.02 is always appreciated!

14 minutes ago, AZ_SS said:

You are going get people telling you cold air kits do nothing even though there is proof to the contrary out there, you know how the internet is. I have a Cold Air Inductions kit and really like it but there are others out there that are cheaper.

I decided to just get the Airaid MIT (modular intake tube) and keep the stock airbox and filter. I do think the OEM air tube with all the baffles is nice to get rid of, but changing the filter is not going to get your engine any more air. I like the throaty sound of mine. Performance gains are minimal. 

I would say you should do all 3 together (tune/exhaust/intake) if you're considering it. I haven't spent any money on my exhaust yet, but when it eventually rusts out, I will replace the muffler with something like a flowmaster 40 series which I have enjoyed on multiple other vehicles. Good luck with your search, and have fun with your mods!

Cold air intakes do nothing by themselves. But in a package setup like you’re looking at they most certainly provide a performance increase. You’re gonna hate V4 mode with aftermarket exhaust. The first time you hear it will have you wanting to get rid of it which is what most on here will suggest you do. 

My setup is S&B intake, MBRP Installer series exhaust and a Diablo Intune I3 tuner with a custom tune by Diablew.com. My truck runs great and I couldn’t be happier. 

On 2/2/2019 at 8:34 AM, Jacoby said:

Cold air intakes do nothing by themselves. But in a package setup like you’re looking at they most certainly provide a performance increase. You’re gonna hate V4 mode with aftermarket exhaust. The first time you hear it will have you wanting to get rid of it which is what most on here will suggest you do. 

My setup is S&B intake, MBRP Installer series exhaust and a Diablo Intune I3 tuner with a custom tune by Diablew.com. My truck runs great and I couldn’t be happier. 

What happens in V4 mode with an exhaust? Drone?

1 hour ago, pavementprincess17 said:

damn thats not good. Is there anything that can be done to keep v4 mode and make the truck sound better?

I run mine in L7 (5 if you have 6 speed) to keep AFM off.

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2019 at 5:34 AM, Jacoby said:

MBRP installer kit, how is that?

My pickup is also the family hauler, so, as much as I want the drone to override the wife from time to time, I don't want to give her a reason to be louder than the exhaust.

I already have a CAI and a throttle body spacer, so the exhaust is the next logical mod.

I live in Vegas and MBRP @ $375 seems to be the best option vs Flowmaster duals @ $900.

I don't need the stainless and don't want to hand over the extra $500.

I have that magnaflow system. With the flapper clamped open. It drones baaaaad on the highway. With the flapper operable it whistles like crazy. I'm going to cut that flapper out and see if it still drones.

9 hours ago, Itsgud2bking said:

MBRP installer kit, how is that?

My pickup is also the family hauler, so, as much as I want the drone to override the wife from time to time, I don't want to give her a reason to be louder than the exhaust.

I already have a CAI and a throttle body spacer, so the exhaust is the next logical mod.

I live in Vegas and MBRP @ $375 seems to be the best option vs Flowmaster duals @ $900.

I don't need the stainless and don't want to hand over the extra $500.

I love my MBRP. It was cheap and it sounds good. Drone is minimal. You being in Vegas means it should pretty much last you the life of the truck. If you were some where they get nasty winters and use a lot of salt on the roads then I wouldn’t recommend it.