Jump to content

Blanz

Latest 3D print, Key Fob holder...

Recommended Posts

Here is my latest 3D design and print of a simple key fob holder that can be used when you have your truck parked in the garage and want it close to the RF receiver.

This was printed from PA 12 with 20% carbon fiber (Nylon X) filament. The flanges are double back taped to the console area. 

Still working the final sunglass cubby design, awaiting more carbon fiber filament.

I can offer up the .stl file if anyone would like to print for themselves, of I can print for a nominal fee and shipping.

Pics for you viewing pleasure.

Bill.

Fob pocket.jpg

Keyfob install.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice job with the 3d printing!   Refresh my memory (i'm new to the truck) but why do you want to store your fob there again?  Isn't it just to pair a new one or something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will warn you, storing your fob in the truck will wear down both the truck battery and the fob battery. It will keep a module awake and the fob will continue to communicate with the vehicle. Not really a good idea.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not following why your fob would be better off inside your truck while it's parked.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey I don’t know why either, but I got a couple 3D printers and wouldn’t mind the stl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 19 HC has a little spot between the cup holders that the FOB sits in real nice when I go to the car wash. My cup holders do not look like the picture posted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I prefer my pants pocket.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GreenMtnSS said:

I prefer my pants pocket.

I agree....  WHY would you store the fob anywhere else?   What's the purpose of this device you made?   Why would it need so sit in the truck?  My pocket works great and then I don't have the truck honking at me when I get out without it.   I'm confused... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Smitty said:

I agree....  WHY would you store the fob anywhere else?   What's the purpose of this device you made?   Why would it need so sit in the truck?  My pocket works great and then I don't have the truck honking at me when I get out without it.   I'm confused... 

Was Simply meant to have a place to leave the fob when I park the truck in the garage at night. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, eppieguy said:

My 19 HC has a little spot between the cup holders that the FOB sits in real nice when I go to the car wash. My cup holders do not look like the picture posted.

My HC front cupholders do look like the ones in the picture, and the special spot designed to hold the fob between the cupholders is just 1" behind where that custom holder is mounted.  I don't get it.  :uhoh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I am one of the few that would use this. Its a habit of mine to take everything out of my pockets when I get in my truck. I don't like the slot between the cup holders since it's so deep, I'd rather have this.

I still use the lock and unlock button on my key fob to soo... Hopefully the more I get used to it the more I'll use the key as intended.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/14/2019 at 2:15 PM, JR09country said:

I guess I am one of the few that would use this. Its a habit of mine to take everything out of my pockets when I get in my truck. I don't like the slot between the cup holders since it's so deep, I'd rather have this.

I still use the lock and unlock button on my key fob to soo... Hopefully the more I get used to it the more I'll use the key as intended.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
 

This I get...

 

But leaving the fob in the truck in the garage over night?  Don't get that at all.  I guess no one breaks into garages where the OP lives.  Around here, that would result in a stolen truck.  And when you report it, the cops would laugh at you for being silly enough to leave the key in it overnight.

Edited by steveved

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coming from a Ford, I used to keep the fob inside whenever I was gone on a long overseas trip then use the keypad to get in it and find my keys.

 

My new Chevy has keyless so I don't keep it anywhere in the truck whenever I'm not around. As others pointed out, it'll wear out the battery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I live on a farm in the county...I don't take the keys out of my truck unless I go to town, which could be days.  Now if I trade I'll have to worry about the key fob causing a dead battery...This new 19' and much of its "improvements" is a joke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.