Vibration or rattling around headliner/windshield

Just the other day I started to notice a vibration/rattle noise coming from the front passenger side around 70mph. It almost sounds like the windshield, or what you would expect something rattling against glass to sound like. I can’t pinpoint where it’s coming from, but’s somewhere within the vicinity of the passenger side dash/windshield/headliner area. Sounds more like it’s around the headliner area. 

It it mostly only seems to happen at higher speeds (70+mph) although today I did just today hear it at 60mph for the first time. My guess is maybe the the windshield is leaking some air since it happens at higher speeds??? Because going over bumps doesn’t seem to have any negative or positive impact on the noise. 

Anyone else have any issue like this, or any guess as to what it might be?

Today I was pulling a trailer, and didn’t hear the noise at all.. ?‍♂️ The weight of the trailer helped the truck ride smoother, so maybe the rattle is coming from the dash. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2015 Denali and the wife mentioned she hears a rattle that almost sounds like rain hitting the windshield. She can't pinpoint it either but says it's coming from in front of her. 

Did you ever figure out your problem?

I eliminated a rattle from the control panel above the rear view mirror. beneath the plastic cover the switches just snap in and one of them was clattering around. Popped out the switch and put some felt tape to snug it up and noise is gone. Have passenger hold a paper towel tube up to their ear while it is rattling to help locate the source. GL

On 6/23/2019 at 10:12 PM, videoarizona said:

I have a 2015 Denali and the wife mentioned she hears a rattle that almost sounds like rain hitting the windshield. She can't pinpoint it either but says it's coming from in front of her. 

Did you ever figure out your problem?

I have no idea what was making the noise.. I had it for about 3 days and then I pulled a trailer and didn’t hear it pulling the trailer, after that it completely stopped and I don’t hear it anymore. So I don’t know ?‍♂️. 

Where does yours sound like it’s coming from? Mine was from the passenger side. 

13 hours ago, videoarizona said:

Passenger side as well. Mines still there. 

Ya, what you are describing sounds like what I had. Go tow a hefty trailer around for awhile, because that’s when mine stopped lol. 

My best guess is either the noise is coming from the dash and the sound is kinda echoing off the windshield causing it to be hard to pinpoint, or the windshield has a very small leak. What stumps me is how mine came out of nowhere and then suddenly went away. 

The only other thing I can possibly think of is the overhead console which I know others have had rattle problems from a loose screw. But mine wasn’t coming from the overhead console. 

On 6/24/2019 at 1:06 AM, Pearl2017 said:

I eliminated a rattle from the control panel above the rear view mirror. beneath the plastic cover the switches just snap in and one of them was clattering around. Popped out the switch and put some felt tape to snug it up and noise is gone. Have passenger hold a paper towel tube up to their ear while it is rattling to help locate the source. GL

Mine was driving me insane with all the noise. I pulled out the entire assembly and put Tesa Tape over every clip on the console as well as the switches. The biggest culprit of mine was the ambient light - it was flopping all over the place. It's been dead silent for almost a year now. Now to address the dash and DR door panels. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/26/2019 at 11:44 AM, carsonj493 said:

Ya, what you are describing sounds like what I had. Go tow a hefty trailer around for awhile, because that’s when mine stopped lol. 

My best guess is either the noise is coming from the dash and the sound is kinda echoing off the windshield causing it to be hard to pinpoint, or the windshield has a very small leak. What stumps me is how mine came out of nowhere and then suddenly went away. 

The only other thing I can possibly think of is the overhead console which I know others have had rattle problems from a loose screw. But mine wasn’t coming from the overhead console. 

Carson, I finally got to hear the noise my wife's been complaining about. It does sound like light rain hitting the windshield. But can't isolate the noise. However, It comes on strong around 70mph. Wind gusts don't change the sound, so know it's something internal. Finally got to thinking....I've got the 6.2ltr. And it has a noise cancellation feature that supposedly hears the noise then actively counters it. I'm wondering if that could be the issue? Either the system is hearing a sound it can't handle or it has a problem and is putting out a white noise. It does sound like it could be electrically generated!

Ideas?

48 minutes ago, videoarizona said:

Carson, I finally got to hear the noise my wife's been complaining about. It does sound like light rain hitting the windshield. But can't isolate the noise. However, It comes on strong around 70mph. Wind gusts don't change the sound, so know it's something internal. Finally got to thinking....I've got the 6.2ltr. And it has a noise cancellation feature that supposedly hears the noise then actively counters it. I'm wondering if that could be the issue? Either the system is hearing a sound it can't handle or it has a problem and is putting out a white noise. It does sound like it could be electrically generated!

Ideas?

I seriously have no idea. I have the 5.3, had the noise for a couple days and that was it, never heard it again. I couldn’t isolate the noise either but didn’t have a second pair of ears to help isolate while driving. So I guess I am not worried about it anymore since mine stopped after a few days, lol. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/22/2019 at 5:02 PM, videoarizona said:

Ideas?

Heard the noise again today.. It just started up again randomly half way on my drive home. However it hit me, I think I know what is the cause of my noise. 

I have ave a aero skin hood protector on my truck, and I have noticed in the last few months the adhesive is starting to come lose, especially on the passenger side. I have restock it down a few times. 

When I heard the noise today, I just sat there going through my mind as to what it possibly could be and then wham, it hit me right in the face. It’s got to be the hood protector coming loose on the passenger side and flopping in the wind slightly. When I got home I got out and looked, and it was sitting flush like normal. However I tried to lift it up in the corner and sure enough it was lose just above the passenger headlight.

Why didn’t I honk of that sooner?? Smh. 

So, if you have some kind of hood protector, especially the aero skin check and see if the adhesive is coming undone in any areas. 

Morning Carson,

Good idea...but nope for me.

I've narrowed it down to the dash....maybe!   I can hear similar sounds when I push on the dash around the instrument cluster. Although why the wife can hear it better when a passenger VS driving...I don't know.

The dealer did take the headliner down to replace my sharkfin antenna...but they could not find the sound either when I asked them about it. They didn't have to look as it's below the threshold for noise repairs...but they are good people and did hear it. The tech who worked on the antenna was fairly certain he put the truck back together properly....as I had asked before the repair to make sure it was nice and tight.   

So I'm still looking.

BTW, I towed 600 miles and it was there for a while at 70mph. Loudest at 77. My trailer tires are 75mph rated so I didn't stay there long...just enough to hear the noise. But then it was gone and didn't return until after the trip. 

Who knows?

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 6:02 PM, videoarizona said:

Ideas?

Do you have any sort of hood protector/bug deflector?