Installation of grill lights

After I installed mine I was not happy with the color of the lights recommended in this thread (yellow vs orange).  I wanted them to match my parking lights.  I researched a little more and came across F-150LED’s.  https://www.f150leds.com/products/15-18_raptor_grill_led?_pos=1&_sid=0de280cf8&_ss=r

these are extremely easy to install and look great.  

0151962F-8631-4081-88FC-5DD5178720F6.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Eric Minsker said:

Awesome! How did you wire them up?

It was very easy.  I bought a micro fuse tap and connected the positive wire from the lighting harness to the right parking light fuse...the ground wire I simply pulled out a bolt (between the radiator and fuse box) and secured the ground wire with the reinserted screw.  The three lights are attached to the grill with 3m tape and are very secure.  I love the look they give to this  big grill! The lights are easily installed in 5 minutes and used the enclosed zip ties to help hide the wires...I soldered the positive wire to the micro wire tap and soldered the negative wire to the wire loop (not sure what you call the flat round washer with a wire crimp for mounting wires). 

38EB265A-138E-490D-9724-E736BD06FDC0.png

5 hours ago, ken babick said:

curious-I notice on Amazon there arent very many good reviews for the lights you used-as I am looking to do the same on my silverado-did you have any trouble with the wires being thin fragile etc on the lights??

The little round lights I originally used had thinner wires than the F150LED lights.  Both lights had pretty small wires...that’s why I chose to solder them.   The small round lights had bad reviews of not working after being wet.  I’m pretty pleased with the F150LED lights as they seem to be a much better quality than the small round lights!   

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rikhek said:

A different approach:  

I thought about doing that also but I went with the bar route and then removed it within a week (and I spent a lot of time on it for a custom wrapped fit).  Here is the difference between my bar attempt and the F150LED lights

B8C61E6A-E37A-4B66-8F52-72D0F0BE2BC2.jpeg

Edited by SilentSierra
  • Thanks 1

Yeah,  I read and saw the various pictures that in you shared in detail in your various posts in this thread.  Are you sharing new/different info than what you've already detailed in this thread?  I'm confused on your repost and am curious if I'm just missing "new" information you're sharing?

Didn’t mean to confuse you or hurt your feelings.  I did two different methods and trying to save someone else some time by seeing a few options. Wish I had seen these lights prior to going through all the work with the bar.   When your lights break (I know the quality since that’s what I used first) give this method a shot.  There is no comparison in the quality of the light and wiring harness.  

Confused yes.  Hurt feelings?  I'm puzzled why you'd think my feelings were hurt.  It just seemed strange you'd repost exactly what you already posted in great detail in the thread.  Whatever....

I will say I like the Ford lights you used better than what I have and you used on your first go around.  If mine fail I have 6 spare ones to use and they only cost $13 for a box of ten lights.  The quality seems to be fine for the application but only time will tell.  If I have issues with mine I'll go the Ford route as you've done.  

Ooops, no I won't be going the Ford route as you have.  I just clicked on the link and saw the Ford lights you used cost $80 for three lights.  I'm too cheap to spend that much for 3 lights.  Especially since they are cosmetic items...

Totally understand that.   I debated and looked at this post a dozen times before I decided to do it...and still have issues trying to copy a raptor look.  Lol. I spent around $50 the first go with the bar (lights, bar, paint , primer, fuse tap...) then changed my mind.  Im probably a dumbass for spending a total of $130 but oh well, I waste a lot on money too.  lol 

Thanks for all the input-I attached a photo of how I did the lights on my 2018 Silverado-I think they look great. I noticed that the grill had nice round design in the grill and with the 3/4 inch amber lights from Amazon-of course they wouldn't fit-too small. So I used a 3/4 inch piece of PVC pipe and sliced off about 3/8 inch slab then inserted that into a same slice of 3/4 elbow or connector which gave me the right diameter.  I sprayed the PVC with black paint--I used black JB weld RV sealant to secure the pieces into the grill-You cannot see the JB unless you get your face right into the grill. Wiring was the tough part as the inside of that area is totally sealed except for a tiny corner up top. I love the way it looks. Now I gotta figure out the grill on my 2020 silverado

black out.jpg