Poll: Does your truck have the rear window leak?

DuRsT

Does your truck have the Rear Window Leak? - Please Participate! Only voting please!  

707 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 10/21/2022 at 10:54 PM, Traction said:

Whelp, add me to the list. First rain in a long time over here in the Seattle area and what do you know, the rear slider has a small leak onto the lip behind the seat. Appears to be a small leak, didn’t soak the cushion, but I can feel that it seems to be seeping from the slider track on the passenger side. Truck is a 2020 with 32k. Dealer set me up for next Friday and promised to get it taken care of. 

Wanted to update after some further investigation: while there is a streak down the passenger side of the rear window, suggesting it is coming from the top, there is also a crack right above the slider portion. It looks like it goes all the way through. Interestingly, there is no water coming from that spot. I hope the cracked frame is enough for the dealer to replace the window rather than attempt to use sealant. 

Update to the update: Dealer now taking truck in Wednesday. Because of the crack in the frame, they will not be attempting the standard repair, rather going straight for a replacement. I sure hope there is a newer model window that solves this problem!

Ok, repair update: Truck is back, was less than a 1 day turn around. They even had a loaner Sierra for me! The advisor said they keep a couple window units around for this repair and have been doing them every so often. Glass install looks good. Hope it solves my problem!

What I saw with mine. The crack was near the center but the window track acted like a gutter and took the water to the far right side of the window and it went down the glass from there.

Update on my leak: rear glass replaced, then I went ahead and sealed the top of the glass using the product and following the sticky in this subforum. When I removed the roof spoiler I found that there were only x2 foam seals and nothing else (spoiler had clearly been off at some point), it didn't seem to show any signs of leakage up there, however. The next day there was heavy rain and I let the truck sit out there for a few hours, no leak as of yet. Hope this solved it for good!

The dealer had tried to seal the rear window leak in the spring and this fall it started leaking again. Last week they installed a new rear window and the tech notes indicated that the original window frame has significant cracking.

We have had some significant rain and everything is dry, so hopefully the problem is solved -thank goodness for warranty!

3 hours ago, Glava2876 said:

The dealer had tried to seal the rear window leak in the spring and this fall it started leaking again. Last week they installed a new rear window and the tech notes indicated that the original window frame has significant cracking.

We have had some significant rain and everything is dry, so hopefully the problem is solved -thank goodness for warranty!

Nice! I took no chances and removed the headliner/spoiler and did the external sealing after my new glass was installed. I do not want to deal with this over the winter.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 6:08 PM, NorthskyblueT1 said:

2020 Crew built in Silao, 9/20....    2,135 miles as of today.

I have drips on both the left and right inside of the window. There's a rail at the top that ends about 2" before each side and it appears it's coming down from there.

Not sure if I should try to warranty or seal it myself.

I started another thread detailing some warranty issues including this window leak from last month. They applied seam sealer to mine but I didn't have any cracks, just leaks from the top. Honestly they did a crappy job. But it doesn't appear to be leaking anymore.

2020 Silverado with sliding rear window. Bought used 2 weeks ago with 19k miles. Day after leaving dealership the headliner was soaked and water pouring in during heavy rain. Dealer had it for a week. Did the TSB and so far has fixed the leak but with the way they gobbed sealant on the top of the window I can’t see how it won’t leak again…

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, drucker said:

Sold my 2019 HC and it had a window leak at 35k miles and bought a 2022 refresh in October. It started leaking yesterday with 5300 miles.

That's not good news. I'll probably end up doing the @Leevon solution preventatively to my '23. 

• 2 months later...

2019 I bought new. Just noticed the leak on passenger side back window. I can now see a slight water stain on headliner so its been doing it a while unnoticed. I can now see water trickle in after car wash. Made repair appt with dealer. 

They wouldnt say its covered until they look at it but I cant imagine its not. I still have to pay to have the topper taken off, stored then reinstalled. First time in my life a vehicle has leaked from the roof! Not unexpected thought given this post right from the beginning. 

• 3 weeks later...

I had a Sierra a little while back and was having issues left and right. Contacted California Lemon law Center to see if something could be done about it; they were able to get all my payments back and even some on top. Would highly recommend any of you who are experiencing issues with your cars to reach out and see if you have a case.

Here’s their website: https://californialemonlawcenter.com/