Supercharging a 2018 sierra 1500 5.3 RWD

Hey everyone, I have a 2018 5.3l sierra 2wd, I want to install a whipple supercharger kit I've found, it says that no internal mods or upgrades are needed to handle the extra power. But I'm sure that that's not the case. I'm thinking I need to at least install a cam and upgrade the fuel system a little bit. As well as maybe beef up my driveshaft due to the common issues being reported on the stocks. Any thoughts or advice helps. I've never owned a supercharger, or modified a truck this much, so for my first time I want to do it right.

20200511_082928.jpg

20200511_082939.jpg

Well, technically those kits are designed to work on a completely stock engine, so you could just slap it on get a tune and call it a day. However, upgrading more stock components will obviously get more power gains and reliability.

Honestly, a cam might be more trouble than it's worth, if you get one with a choppy idle, most cam manufacturers recommend a higher stall torque converter. At that point you're pulling the engine out and the heads off, so might as well do the heads and forged rotating assembly while you're there.

See how that rabbit hole gets deep and gets deep fast? Lol

I'd leave the internals alone (for now). The fuel system is a quick and easy upgrade. An LT4 pump and injectors are a good choice. Still maintain factory reliability, but get more than enough capacity to handle that blower. Plus, you're pulling the manifold and staring right at them anyways.

Driveshaft would be a wise choice too, there have been a couple reports of driveshaft problems on the dyno.

I would suggest a set of headers, y pipe, and 3" exhaust to help get all that extra air out of the engine efficiently.

Get a good dyno tune, and you're all set. You'll have more than enough power to destroy a set of tires at will.

If you get the itch to start following the rabbit hole later on, then by all means, go for it. The more power you make, the more supporting mods you'll need, so once you start going past a couple bolt ons and a blower, things start to snowball. But you can take it as far as your wallet will allow lol.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

My personal rule of thumb

6-8psi for aftermarket forced induction on an NA car.

There’s an old saying, “performance/cost/reliability - pick 2”

6-8psi I think is the sweet spot. It’s maximum hp for minimal mods. Despite what forums lead you to believe, 6psi of boost is a massive increase in power.

Edited by truckguy82

a813166598d9a5f9ed8cf1e736038728.jpg
No internal mods all stock if you just want some extra HP it’s perfect. I have a dyno video it’s the 5.3 putting out 480 to the rear wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything the above posts have said is SPOT ON. Realistically, you can just install the Whipple, tune it, stay at 6-8psi and be done. That'll be plenty to put a smile on your face every single time you start the truck and drive it. And on the flip side, you can choose to do additional mods to make and handle more power, but you don't HAVE to do those mods to handle the Whipple at 6-8psi.

Regarding boost, I seem to remember that the psi number is higher for the 5.3L than the 6.2L. I run my 6.2L at 7psi to stay safe. I also installed an Alky Methanol Kit (got an amazing price on a brand new kit off of Craigslist, so I couldn't pass it up) referenced off of the MAF sensor for added insurance. Now we can have the "100% meth versus 50-50 meth-water, and the meth ruins the rotors versus water ruins the rotors" debates.

• Like 1

I started modifying many years ago. Horsepower was really low starting out. The goal was usually 300 HP. Enough to feel the difference and out accelerating the competition to 60. My last project was so modified I simply put my foot to the floor and there was 60. Most of these trucks do that today with the 6.2 stock if configured right. Or simply adding a gear. You could buy a single cab with little mods and do the same. If stoplight drags to the speed limit is the desire. Simply paying attention at ordering can accomplish the goal with a smile on ones face. Otherwise the drag strip is the place where over modified vehicles can run free. Much different now, then my younger days. You guys are so lucky.

Everything the above posts have said is SPOT ON. Realistically, you can just install the Whipple, tune it, stay at 6-8psi and be done. That'll be plenty to put a smile on your face every single time you start the truck and drive it. And on the flip side, you can choose to do additional mods to make and handle more power, but you don't HAVE to do those mods to handle the Whipple at 6-8psi.

Regarding boost, I seem to remember that the psi number is higher for the 5.3L than the 6.2L. I run my 6.2L at 7psi to stay safe. I also installed an Alky Methanol Kit (got an amazing price on a brand new kit off of Craigslist, so I couldn't pass it up) referenced off of the MAF sensor for added insurance. Now we can have the "100% meth versus 50-50 meth-water, and the meth ruins the rotors versus water ruins the rotors" debates.

I completely agree with you I’m around 8 PSI I believe. Mine is a daily so I don’t want or need anything else. It woke it up that’s for sure lol. Like you said down the road if I decide to make it a weekend you then maybe. I know from another group these motors can take some HP lol.