Bilstein 5100s are a HUGE upgrade!

23 minutes ago, wurgs said:

Should have clarified a bit. I will replace front and rear shocks, that's the numbers I listed if they are the correct ones.

Rear AT4/Trail Boss - B8 5100 Series 0-1″ Lift Rear (24-309516)

Front AT4/Trail Boss - B8 5100 Series 0-1.1″ Ride Height Adj Front (24-309509)

This is what you need if you want t8 change the rancho's in a AT4 or Trail Boss. 

Our new RST Duramax finally arrived! I had dealer install the 5100's with the fronts set at at 2", and now the truck looks level front to rear. Front's are # 24-293297 and rear's are # 24-293471. The ride with the Bilstein's is excellent. Added Toyo AT3's (definitely more aggressive looking than the AT2's on our old truck, but much quieter). Side steps are GM's 4" round. Ordered a Leer canopy at the same time as the truck but told still weeks away with production delays. Have various trailers for business and personal use so we are having the Firestone Ride Rite airbags installed at same time as the canopy. This will help keep truck level when the heavier trailers connected and/or truck bed full of gear. 

2021 RST.jpg

• Like 1

For those looking to do this upgrade, here's my review of them.

2019 Silverado HC, 6.2L

My biggest complaint with the stock suspension was the "kick" of the back end on certain sharp bumps on roadways.  Often, it would make the the truck feel unsettled, as if it kicked sideways a bit, then had to recover to straighten out. I didn't mind any type of floating ride, but that kick wasn't good.

Had the Bilsteins put on front and back by a GM dealer (plus a 1 inch block in the back)... think they charged me around $500 for the labor.  Have the front shocks on highest lift setting.  I didn't measure it before, but it raised it quite a bit.  Upon first driving it, it is just a tad firmer than the stock shocks, BUT... because it got rid of 90% of that kick out, bumps actually do feel better, less harsh, and more controllable. It's hard to explain, but a definite improvement over stock.  I've probably put 3-4K miles on it now, and every time I drive it, I'm more impressed with the Bilsteins.  You may not notice a night and day difference, but IMO the noticeable change in ride and how it handles bumps is well worth it.  Going to try some Ridge Grapplers and wheels now to see if I can make a larger than stock size fit.

I hooked up our little fully loaded dump trailer yesterday and with the Bilstein 5100's the ride over bumps was excellent. Zero back end sway or bounce as the shocks are quick to settle the truck down.

Only thing of note is the rear springs of this truck are quick to sag even with the tongue weight of the trailer empty. The airbags will definitely help.

Edited by DVR

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here we go guys and gals

I'm been a 2500 guy for 30 years and have always ran stock Bilstein's on my trucks. This is the first 1500 I've had in an extremely long time and as such have a few questions.  Oh, it's a 2020 1500 RST CC Z71 with the 5.3 standard box.  I love the truck especially the ride, quite the difference between the 15's and 25's in ride

Anyways, first off the Rancho's sux.  I already have 20k on the truck and I'm looking for shocks.  I'm looking at the 5100's as that is what I've always ran on my 2500's.  I don't care about it being lifted or leveled, ok, maybe a little on level.  What I care about is hauling and towing as after all it's a truck.  I'm thinking of going with the rears set at zero and the fronts maybe an inch, but not much more.  That way it looks a little more level.  But my main concern is the rears as I'm almost always hauling something in the bed or towing.  I tow a 7 x 16 enclosed snowmobile trailer, 2 place pwc trailer, 2 place snowmobile trailer and dump trailer.  Depending on the what I'm towing or hauling the back sags, not what I'm use to with having 2500's.  I'm thinking of getting a set of air bags also.  But the first order of business is the shocks.  Would 5100's  the Bilstein B6 24-293471 be best for the rears and the Bilstein B8 5100 24-293297 for the fronts?  Does anyone think the rears should go up a inch and maybe the fronts 2?  Also, what airbags works best for towing and hauling.

Thanks in advance for the help

Oh, I plan on running the stock tire size once the factory ones wear out, if that makes a difference.

Hi rv245.

I had the Firestone Ride Rite airbags installed last week. What a difference when towing the loaded little dump trailer or the boat...no more sag. Haven't hooked up the travel trailer yet but the tongue weight is close to the loaded dump trailer. With the Bilsteins and airbags the ride quality is great. 

Now if only that back ordered Leer canopy would arrive!!

8 hours ago, DVR said:

Hi rv245.

I had the Firestone Ride Rite airbags installed last week. What a difference when towing the loaded little dump trailer or the boat...no more sag. Haven't hooked up the travel trailer yet but the tongue weight is close to the loaded dump trailer. With the Bilsteins and airbags the ride quality is great. 

How many weeks have you been waiting for your topper? It’s 10 weeks for me.

11 hours ago, DVR said:

Hi rv245.

Took 10 weeks for my ARE shell as well.

• 4 weeks later...

I swapped out the stock rear rancho shocks on my '21 LTZ for the 5100's  about 1k miles ago and couldn't be happier.   It's my first ever pickup truck after many years of minivan or compact car driving and the rear end hop over road irregularities was quite disappointing and a bit unnerving.   Thanks for all the info and advice in this thread for pushing me towards the Bilsteins.

I did  the rear shocks myself in the driveway, but the fronts will need to be done by a shop.  Fronts appear to be out of stock everywhere I have looked, so it may be quite a while before they can get done.  

Have any of you left the fronts stock long term and just switched out the rears?