Bilstein 5100s are a HUGE upgrade!

1 hour ago, BluegrassMotorsport said:

Update: Installed the new shocks yesterday afternoon and have put about 60 miles on them. They're a pretty nice upgrade. I don't think they're quite as unbelievable as I've seen in this thread, but still nice. I can't tell a different at all on the highway except on bridge transitions where the rear is definitely more planted. I've been over a couple of railroad crossings and they're very noticeable there. Overall I don't know that I would spend the money again but maybe I'll notice them more as I put more miles on them. 

Yea, they're not a night-and-day difference that a lot of folks want them to be.

• Like 1

I just installed mine on Saturday. Now that I've had them a couple days, I do notice some difference(albeit not life changing). It is much more planted and doesn't hop over bumps and railroad crossings like it used to. Still worth the money IMO and the install being super easy helps also.

It’s less noticeable if you are always on highways and decent road conditions. Although the “planted” feel is something many seem to report. More noticeable on broken road surfaces, transitions and seams. You can definitely tell the difference if you ride on rough/dirt/gravel roads, I think that’s where they really shine.

Not life changing, but I think on price for performance they deliver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished having the full front and rear 5100's put on my RST. I went on the highest setting up front and added a 1" block in the rear. 

The ride appears to handle "jarring" bumps much better and as others have stated the rear of the truck feels more "planted". I am looking at doing a downsize to 18" wheels and tires in the near future (black rhino's) as I think it will help soften up the ride. Was curious if anyone had any tire size recommendation for that?

Pic of how the truck sits currently: 

Photo Dec 17, 2 31 33 PM.jpg

brett_g

I'm with you.  After installing new shocks on all four corners and new springs up front, the ride is substantially better but I'm thinking of downsizing to 18's just to get back a little of the softness from before.  I'm hoping the increased sidewall will help.  Good luck with your tire purchase!

On 11/26/2020 at 6:47 AM, lapoolboy said:

Do you have a leveling kit already installed on your TB lift?  If not, then yes, you can gain a maximum up front of 1.1" with the shocks.  I have a 1.5" leveling kit installed on my TB lift so I would lose nearly half and inch by going to the Bilsteins.

Somewhere in this thread it was indicated that the Bilstein 5100's for the TB have 3 settings: Stock, 0.5", and 1.1"......Couldn't you set the front Bilsteins at the 0.5" setting and then keep your

leveling kit (I assume it's 1.5" spacer) which would give you 0.5" less rake than you have now?  What about adding the spacer to the Bilstein at the 1.1" setting?   I was going to add the 2" GM Suspension lift to my 2020 3.0L Duramax 1500 and then keep the leveling kit to give me more clearance for the 295/60R20 tires and 20x9(+0) Hostile wheels I plan on adding.  Although, if get the Bilsteins I could set the fronts at 1.1" and then keep the spacer which should give me at least 3.6" in the front. Not sure if going that high would cause me any other issues..  I'd imagine I'd have to raise the back with a block to keep a little rake though.  Do you think your TB would clear 295/60R20's with the just the stock shocks and leveling kit?

Just finished having the full front and rear 5100's put on my RST. I went on the highest setting up front and added a 1" block in the rear. 

The ride appears to handle "jarring" bumps much better and as others have stated the rear of the truck feels more "planted". I am looking at doing a downsize to 18" wheels and tires in the near future (black rhino's) as I think it will help soften up the ride. Was curious if anyone had any tire size recommendation for that?

1692031250_PhotoDec1723133PM.thumb.jpg.149ff13e58864b8c3ab85a791363896a.jpg
Looks good! I have the same color truck and I am planning on leveling and putting on 18 inch black rhinos. I am gonna go with 275/70's. I want them taller than I want them wide.. check out customoffsets for some ideas on how different size tires look.

Sent from my SM-T870 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/18/2020 at 8:06 AM, brett_g said:

Photo Dec 17, 2 31 33 PM.jpg

That's perfect!  A couple of questions if you don't mind helping:

1) The front max setting is 2.5" right?

2) Where do you get the 1" rear block?  Does it matter the brand for blocks?

3) Are those stock 20" tires?  275/60/20?

14 hours ago, BHC said:

That's perfect!  A couple of questions if you don't mind helping:

1) The front max setting is 2.5" right?

2) Where do you get the 1" rear block?  Does it matter the brand for blocks?

3) Are those stock 20" tires?  275/60/20?

1. I think so, I had a shop install so can't confirm my self. 

2. Shop sourced it - also had custom bolts made for it, too.

3. Stockers! 

1 hour ago, brett_g said:

1. I think so, I had a shop install so can't confirm my self. 

2. Shop sourced it - also had custom bolts made for it, too.

3. Stockers! 

Awesome, thanks!  That's exactly what I'm planning on doing.  I actually like the stock 20's wheel design.  Your set up looks decent with the stock tires - I may just use up the tires then before swapping to 285/60/20 or something else later.

On 11/29/2020 at 3:48 PM, BluegrassMotorsport said:

Just placed my order for the rears! I'll report back after installation. 

EDIT: They are on sale through bilstenlifts.com for $20 off.  

On 11/29/2020 at 3:48 PM, BluegrassMotorsport said:

Just placed my order for the rears! I'll report back after installation. 

EDIT: They are on sale through bilstenlifts.com for $20 off.  

Thanks for the tip! I just placed my order, best price I could find.