Bilstein 5100s are a HUGE upgrade!

On 8/4/2022 at 10:41 PM, Janko Sakuzov said:

Just did a full suspension install. 

5100 on the front set to 2" 

1" Motofab spacers under the 5100s for total 3" front lift.

Motofab UCAs 

5160 in the back with Motofab extensions

Motofab 2" blocks on the back

Firestone Rite Ride airbags were already installed on there. Might need spacers for them 

2" Bora wheel spacers all around for a little wider track.

As it sits right now there's about 3/8" -1/2" rake still but I'm ok with it. I could still raise the 5100 one more notch to bring them up another 1/2" to make it 100% level, or take out the front motofab spacers and raise the 5100 the other 1/2" to be back where I'm at right now. Probably won't touch them though.

Ride is spot on now, but the real test comes in a couple of weeks when we take the 30' camper out. Main reason for all the work was to hopefully smooth out the front bouncing on the concrete highways around here when we tow. I have the weight distribution hitch spot on to spread the load 50%-50% . The Airbags in the back helped a TON with that, but the front was a complete ****** show. On some stretches it's so bad we stopped camping on the west side of the state to avoid those highways. F073CB74-6CA6-4139-8DF1-6B1F3F0DDFAA.thumb.JPG.a7c1a62bbfc241352c1a36e134480b6d.JPGF5C6474E-E4CB-4FC5-9650-DFE7357592AC.thumb.JPG.a3bc790b41c42bec3a2ba151a2c7f975.JPG

Any updates on this setup???!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/10/2022 at 3:26 PM, Amcguy1970 said:

One thing I do not get is the comments on how "smooth" these shocks ride, that isn't at all what they do or are known for. They actually do the opposite on rough broken pavement with any kind of added lift from the shock. I have these, they are an improvement, especially on the large bumps, but they actually ride a little rougher on the small stuff. Just want to make sure people who read some of the rose colored glasses reviews what they are really in for. Steer clear of reviews that mention night and day, huge difference or boast how smooth the ride is. The larger you lift you add with them the stiffer they get as they pre-load the spring to attain lift. 

Overall they are a fantastic upgrade if that is what you are wanting (to control the large bump pogo effect and side to movements) but if smooth ride over broken pavement is it, then that is not the case. Now if you go large with the tires and stay in a P rated size and someone goes from a 20" to an 18" wheel and they boast smooth ride, then that will be attributed to the tires, not the shocks and lift combo. 

Again, very happy with mine (though the stock ranchos weren't bad by any means) but some of the reviews on these are just far out, same goes with some tires...

I will also be looking at the eibach's next time as I have heard some good things about those. 

Tyler

Agree with the above. I did not like the 5100's ride over small bumps and even some larger higher speed hits. This is with the 5100's only on the rear. Did not bother mounting the fronts. Switched to rear Rancho RS9000 with damping set on #3 position. Supple ride, good comp and rebound plus I can feel the weight transfer due to better suspension response/articulation. 5100's felt numb. My Silverado is a bare bones 2020 WT DC 2WD with 265/65/18 Conti A/T's on TB Reps. Stock height. The 5100's are probably better suited for hard working lifted trucks with larger wheel packages.  

Bilstein 5100's front and rear (trailboss part number)

24-309509

24-309516

Rough Country UCA for 3" lift

Motofab rear 2" block with U-bolts

+2.5" in the front

+2.0" in the rear

I know the pic shows otherwise, but I put the front strut circlips set to the middle position for .55" of lift.  Wanted to maintain a touch of forward rake, and with the extra weight of the diesel it worked out perfect.  

This is the 3rd set of 5100's I have purchased (jeep life) so I knew what to expect.  No, the ride is not smoother or a night and day difference.  In fact it is a little firmer.  But there is more steering response, and way less rebounding that happens over speed bumps or highway bridge sections.  I also noticed much less side-to-side rocking that happens when I pull into the parking lot at work, which is a fairly steep diagonal transition that flexes out the suspension.  Overall, a great purchase.

My other vehicle is a 2004 WJ Grand Cherokee, and it is really nice working on a brand new truck where nothing is rusted or stuck!

342886583_IMG_4124MEDIUM.thumb.JPG.f588c6f7a9aea92c206991312027d898.JPG150917892_IMG_4116MEDIUM.thumb.JPG.a17095cbe83a7d923dbd78e628ae2c38.JPG7EF4A669-6539-4941-B704-530A3291B08B.thumb.jpeg.d21ef825dd92c5737eda99d5465ec73a.jpegFA99D60C-DB8A-49AB-8D45-C3E44D48F82B.thumb.jpeg.d45f5ed546a0021705fb5acb558480a5.jpeg

Edited by mdrum93
  • Like 2

On 12/8/2022 at 9:39 PM, AJMBLAZER said:

Yes they use different axles. 

Mine is “so far, so good” with 2” of lift and the stock axles. They ever fail and I’ll buy Trailboss spec CV shafts. 

Ok, good. I've decided to go this route instead of with the 2" GM kit. I really didn't want to lift the rear of the truck 2", so I'm going to do a 1" rear lift and a 1.5" or 2" front lift.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pnw_obrigade said:

Has anybody used the Motofab AT4 1.5" preload spacer on 5100's to get more lift than 1.1" on the 3.0 Duramax (assuming the Bilsteins are set in the stock position)?

There’s a dude earlier in the thread that did Bilstein to 2” and added a 1” bottom strut lift. I tried messaging him to see how it’s holding up, but no response.

As of now, I have mine set to 2” and I’m going to add a bottom 1.5” (Supreme Suspension) with some Rough Country UCAs and a differential drop spacer kit.

In the rear I have Rough Country air springs, and a 1” block.

Once it’s all completed I should have 3-3.5” Front and 1.5” Rear… (Bilsteins have already settled half an inch and Air Spring kit added an additional .5”)

I’ll keep y’all updated, but I don’t plan to finish it up for a few months. Between the UCAs and differential spacers I think it’s going to ride pretty well considering the shock upgrade.

I’m quite astonished when I read some of these threads about shocks and brakes on these trucks. I never changed shocks or brakes for the time I owned my trucks. My trucks usually had tool boxes and fuel tanks. I put a lot of Hwy miles on. They spent lots of time on pipelines. The only thing I can figure is they changed a lot since my last new one 2014. Or people are awful picky. I spent my money on performance upgrades. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I’m quite astonished when I read some of these threads about shocks and brakes on these trucks. I never changed shocks or brakes for the time I owned my trucks. My trucks usually had tool boxes and fuel tanks. I put a lot of Hwy miles on. They spent lots of time on pipelines. The only thing I can figure is they changed a lot since my last new one 2014. Or people are awful picky. I spent my money on performance upgrades. 

You’re missing out 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Mike Borowski said:

You’re missing out 

I always owned a mixture of vehicles. Sports cars, luxury cars performance trucks. If something was amiss I would have noticed. I’ve had Z71s and FX4s. If they’ve gotten bad since my last one, shame on GM. 

15 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I always owned a mixture of vehicles. Sports cars, luxury cars performance trucks. If something was amiss I would have noticed. I’ve had Z71s and FX4s. If they’ve gotten bad since my last one, shame on GM. 

LOLZ at all the peeps trolled by this thread that was probably started by a Bilstein distributor...

"My truck handles like a '72 Eldorado!"

spacer.png

spacer.png

33 minutes ago, It's Tim said:

LOLZ at all the peeps trolled by this thread that was probably started by a Bilstein distributor...

spacer.png

spacer.png

I owned a 73, my father bought it new gave it to my grandfather. I bought it from him. I owned 13 Impala’s a few olds, Buicks and Pontiacs. In contrast my wife favors sports cars. Even two fieros, a couple Camaros, two mustangs among others. I know the difference between a good ride and bad. I put money into performance, engine that is. I can see different shocks being an upgrade. Not enough that I’ll go screaming to pull off the stock ones that are new. Now a two barrel on a V-8 or quite exhaust. When I was younger they were changed the first thing.

48 minutes ago, It's Tim said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Speaking of trolls...